How to make CDDS

Deadman

Making and Installing Skins in to the CDDS files

For this we will make a new CDDS file for the A-10 changing the file size in the CDDS from 1024x1024 to 2048x2048

1 .Down Load Teaka Teaka’s Modman patch

http://forum.lockon.ru/showthread.php?t=16860 and follow the instruction for installation this allows you to install Modman skin packs into the CDDS files

2. Down Load CDDS studio for creating textures CDDS files

Install the CDDS studio into the C drive you will do

all of your work Creating new CDDS files on the C drive.

3.Down Load all of Mitch Janssen A-10 2048x2048 skin from Lock on Files

http://www.lockonfiles.com/index.php you have to put a skin in for each slot you fill .you can make the cdds file with one or all 8 bitmap skin files. I think he has made all of them if not just pick another file that is 2048x2048 rename it to what ever you don’t have and proceed.

Make a work folder name for what ever aircraft your working on i.e. A-10-Upgrade no spaces in the name Put all of the bitmaps 24 or TGA files, Bitmaps and TGA should be kept separate thought when making CDDS files, for your new CDDS file in to this folder. Name the files with out the size in the name the naming for the A-10would be

A-10-OKRAS-L.bmp A-10-OKRAS-R.bmp

A-10-OKRAS-L1.bmp A-10-OKRAS-R1.bmp

A-10-OKRAS-L2.bmp A-10-OKRAS-R2.bmp

A-10-OKRAS-L3.bmp A-10-OKRAS-R3.bmp

A-10-OKRAS-L4.bmp A-10-OKRAS-R4.bmp

A-10-OKRAS-L5.bmp A-10-OKRAS-R5.bmp

A-10-OKRAS-L6.bmp A-10-OKRAS- R6.bmp

A-10-OKRAS-L7.bmp A-10-OKRAS- R7.bmp

A-10-OKRAS-L8.bmp A-10-OKRAS- R8.bmp

4.Open the CDDS Studio

Left Click on Edit at the top left

On the drop down menu left click on Add files the Select image box will open chouse the file you named for the project your working on i.e. A-10-Upgrade

Select all of the BMP or TGA file you want to make into the CDDS file. Left click on open

The files you selected will now appear in the CDDS studio

5.Left click on the Save as Icon Third from the left looks like a floppy disk save the file as A-10-Upgrade

6.Left click on Edit top left on the drop down Menu Left click on Build CDDS a DOS window will open and list files that are compressed at the end it will ask you to press ant button.

7. Now look in the folder you named A-10-Upgrade you will have a file named A-10-Upgrade and another file named A-10-Upgrade.cdds this is your new CDDS file

8. Take the new A-10-Upgrade.cdds file and place it in C:\Program Files\Ubisoft\Eagle Dynamics\Lock On\Bazar\World

9.Now in C:\Program Files\Ubisoft\Eagle Dynamics\Lock On\Config open the graphic CFG file with Word pad and add common = ".\\Bazar\\World\\A-10-UpGrade.cdds"; where you see it below the new file name must be placed above the old CDDS file name

TextureCollections

{

highFolder = ".\\Bazar\\TempTextures\\";

common = ".\\Bazar\\Terrain\\Surface\\High\\LandTexturesBMP.cdds";

common = ".\\Bazar\\Terrain\\Surface\\High\\LandTexturesTGA.cdds";

spring = ".\\Bazar\\Terrain\\Surface\\High\\LandTexturesSprBMP.cdds";

spring = ".\\Bazar\\Terrain\\Surface\\High\\LandTexturesSprTGA.cdds";

common=".\\Bazar\\Terrain\\Surface\\High\\LandTexturesSumBMP.cdds";

common=".\\Bazar\\Terrain\\Surface\\High\\LandTexturesSumTGA.cdds";

autumn = ".\\Bazar\\Terrain\\Surface\\High\\LandTexturesAutBMP.cdds";

autumn = ".\\Bazar\\Terrain\\Surface\\High\\LandTexturesAutTGA.cdds";

winter = ".\\Bazar\\Terrain\\Surface\\High\\LandTexturesWinBMP.cdds";

winter = ".\\Bazar\\Terrain\\Surface\\High\\LandTexturesWinTGA.cdds";

common = ".\\Bazar\\Terrain\\Surface\\High\\MapTexturesBMP.cdds";

common = ".\\Bazar\\Effects\\EffectTexturesTGA.cdds";

common = ".\\Bazar\\World\\A-10-UpGrade.cdds";

common = ".\\Bazar\\World\\New-F-15.cdds";

common = ".\\Bazar\\World\\TexturesBMP_weapons.cdds";

common = ".\\Bazar\\World\\WorldTexturesTGA2.cdds";

common = ".\\Bazar\\World\\WorldTexturesTGA.cdds";

common = ".\\Bazar\\World\\WorldTexturesBMP2.cdds";

common = ".\\Bazar\\World\\WorldTexturesBMP.cdds";

common = ".\\Bazar\\World\\WorldTexturesBMP1.cdds";

common = ".\\Bazar\\World\\ShipTexturesBMP.cdds";

common = ".\\Bazar\\World\\ShipTexturesTGA.cdds";

common = ".\\Bazar\\World\\CockpitsTexturesBMP.cdds";

common = ".\\Bazar\\World\\CockpitsTexturesTGA.cdds";

common = ".\\Bazar\\Effects\\effects.cdds";

common = ".\\Bazar\\World\\Cockpit-SU25T-TexturesBMP.cdds";

common = ".\\Bazar\\World\\Cockpit-SU25T-TexturesTGA.cdds";

common = ".\\Bazar\\World\\WorldTexturesTGA1.cdds";

To install a new skin with mod man in to your new CDDS file, make or down load the skin with the same size as you CDDS file now 2048x2048.

Correctly make the file name use bitmap 24bit open Modman 5 open ADD on Maker open the file with you Bitmaps and add them to the new package Modman should automatically direct your bitmaps to Install folder Bazar\TempTextures\ and Catalog file Bazar\World\A-10-UpGrade.cdds make the Modman file as normal.

If you down load a Modman file it may be directed to a different Catalog file so you may have to open the down loaded Modman Skin pack with the Modman Add on make and redirect the files to the proper Catalog file

Finally Down load and Install Team speak so you can enjoy your new skins on line and speak with your fellow Pilots Typing and attacking ground targets just is not easy If I screwed up any part of this typing wile drinking a beer is just not that easy

Hope this helps Deadman

• Like 1

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/a-10c-warthog-supplies

https://forum.dcs.world/topic/133818-deadmans-cockpit-base-plans/#comment-133824

CNCs and Laser engravers are great but they can't do squat with out a precise set of plans.

This could be very useful. Probably a lifesaver for fps. Rep inbound.

Just one question though, is there an easier way to convert the skins that are currently in bmp files automatically to cdds? Because i rename all my skins so i can keep the best of the best rather than letting modman replace some of the skins i like. Can this be done through the cdds studio, haven't tried it yet.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

First thanks for taking the time to write this up! Now...I get to step 6 and don't get a .CDDS file. The DOS window pops up for a second then closes and I get an error and TexToDDs text file in my A-10-UPGRADE folder. the error file is blank and the TexToDDs one says:

TexToDDs.exe -noise <Source Tga file> <Dest dds file> <alpha decrease by miplevel>

TexToDDs.exe <InDir> <extention> <OutDir>

TexToDDs.exe -complex <InDir> <extention> <CDDS FileName>

TexToDDs.exe -dump <CDDS FileName> <OutDir>

TexToDDs.exe -single FileName format mip outfilename

TexToDDs.exe -xml <Project FileName> <CDDS FileName>

What type of file to you need to "add to file". I've tried .bmp, .tga, .dds, all with the same result as above. I must be missing something.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

First thanks for taking the time to write this up! Now...I get to step 6 and don't get a .CDDS file. The DOS window pops up for a second then closes and I get an error and TexToDDs text file in my A-10-UPGRADE folder. the error file is blank and the TexToDDs one says:

TexToDDs.exe -noise <Source Tga file> <Dest dds file> <alpha decrease by miplevel>

TexToDDs.exe <InDir> <extention> <OutDir>

TexToDDs.exe -complex <InDir> <extention> <CDDS FileName>

TexToDDs.exe -dump <CDDS FileName> <OutDir>

TexToDDs.exe -single FileName format mip outfilename

TexToDDs.exe -xml <Project FileName> <CDDS FileName>

What type of file to you need to "add to file". I've tried .bmp, .tga, .dds, all with the same result as above. I must be missing something.

Do not include spaces in the file paths of your source-list file and target cdds file, Otherwise the exe misinterpret the command.

EDIT:

The exe can not handle 32bit bmps. 24bit only.

TekaTeka from Japan

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Visit my site Beyond Visual Range.

Ahhh the spaces were getting me...thx!

So I converted my .bmps to 24bit with irfanview and they look like crap(but they did work in-game). Can't see how to change the color depth in GIMP. Is Irfanview the problem or will they just look like crap at 24bit?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

You should not see any differences between 24 and 32bit bmps. The extra 8bit is for alpha channel and you don't need it from the beginning.

You will see changes between bmps and dds though, especially when the images have vivid colors like pure red. You will see ugly blocky edges.

• Like 1

TekaTeka from Japan

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Visit my site Beyond Visual Range.

Hi guys the credit for al this information should go to previous post on the site most made by Teka Teka all I did was search and read the threads and make a list of the information.

The easiest way I have found to change out skins is to use Teka Teaka’s mod for Modman and have your skins all listed in the Modman system then just install or uninstall with it once it is modified. All of your skins can go in to DDS files as long as you have made a CDDS file of the correct size for the file resolution To solve the split storage of the F-15 skins you just need to make a new F-15 CDDS file and place it above the old two CDDS files redirect any old Modman 5 Skin packs to the new CDDS file and you set, no more half painted F-15

So you cheap bastards cut loose some rep for Teka Teka and Me. I can’t believe his patch on this site was down loaded only 8 times taking control of Lock on to fix a few items is not that hard:pilotfly:

https://forum.dcs.world/topic/133818-deadmans-cockpit-base-plans/#comment-133824

CNCs and Laser engravers are great but they can't do squat with out a precise set of plans.

Is it possible for anyone to create a program, almost like modman, that when you load up the .bmp files into the program, you press covert and it turns into cdds files and places it into the approriate folder as well as adds the lines into files and such. That would be awesome and a lifesaver!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Is it possible for anyone to create a program, almost like modman, that when you load up the .bmp files into the program, you press covert and it turns into cdds files and places it into the approriate folder as well as adds the lines into files and such. That would be awesome and a lifesaver!

Hi Modman 5 all ready does that after you put Teka Teka's mod in to it.

Buy using the CDDS studio all your doing is giving Lock on a larger DDS file for Modman 5 to put your High resolution Skins in to. If you don’t make larger DDS files when you try to put a higher resolution skin in to a CDDS files it will give you a notice that the file does not match the original size and has been place in the Temp Texture folder usually turning the compress dds file into a bit map and that is where you start to have memory problems because the bitmaps are three time the size of the compressed dds files.

yea but the problem is with modman, you don't really have control of which skins you personally would like to keep and such. For example, if you had a favorite a-10 skin that was label as -01, you download a new skin that was meant to replace the -01 skin. So you loose the first skin, that's why i hope to see a program that just saves the trouble for going through all that and covert the selected bmp files in your temptexture folder into cdds. And plus it saves you the trouble to go back and find each skin that's already in your temptexture folder and try to reinstall it again into cdds. Some skins out there are not even meant for modman, just released as a bmp file.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

yea but the problem is with modman, you don't really have control of which skins you personally would like to keep and such. For example, if you had a favorite a-10 skin that was label as -01, you download a new skin that was meant to replace the -01 skin. So you loose the first skin, that's why i hope to see a program that just saves the trouble for going through all that and covert the selected bmp files in your temptexture folder into cdds. And plus it saves you the trouble to go back and find each skin that's already in your temptexture folder and try to reinstall it again into cdds. Some skins out there are not even meant for modman, just released as a bmp file.

Hi SuperKungFu

Mod man is not to blame and it will keep multiple 01 position skins true only one can be installed at a time and the others will be in the Left window Mods/Addons found in C:\Program Files\Modman\addons_fci folder with a red a marker for uninstalled in Lock on but their still installed in Modman. The file you have installed in Lock on will have a Green box with CDDS in black letters in the box. So you wont lose any.

Converting a bit map to dds for the CDDS does not change its Id

You have only 9 skins for 10 different color schemes for the A-10. So the skin file has to be drawn for the position it will be assigned to.

Modman will convert Bit map 24 to dds compressed format for insertion in to the CDDs

Skin are originally bitmap 24 for the A-10, F-15, KC-10A, C-130, F5, F4, and TGA for the F-16, F-18 and F-14.Either the Bit map 24 or the TGA can be compressed by Modman in to a DDS format in a Modman skin Pack. Simply open Modman Add on maker Choose the add on file where you have the bit maps or TGA with the correct name. Click on add to package if the Bitmap or TGA file are the right size and Name for the CDDS file they will be automatic direct to those if Bazar\TempTextures is selected for the install folder. Fill in the information and make a zip Package with the name of the file.

If you are using The Temp texture folder for all your skins you will lose any skin with the same name when you put a new skin in with the same name your replacing the file with a new one

I have several 7 skin packs loaded in to Modman that I have made and countless skins that will occupy the same position when there are installed in to lock on. Modman lets me keep the organized by name and I have not lost any.

Thx for the tutorial. I have been trying to install skins in the CDDS format for ages and this is as far as I’ve ever gotten.

I’m still only having limited success and maybe someone could please help me.

Ok after step 9 should the skins show up in game and be ready to use? I would like to just create new cdds files for each skin or make a small skin bundle and then install them as described above but with out using modman. Only problem is when I tried to install just one A10 skin using the method described here (up to step 9 ) it didn’t show up in game. I’m pretty sure I’m not doing anything wrong because when I installed a few Su33 skins as described here; http://forum.lockon.ru/showthread.php?t=19714 it worked perfectly. However when I use the same method to install any other skin it doesn’t show up in game.

What could be my problem? Could it be the file has to be 24bit, if so how do I check and change a file so I can install them like ICE’s su33 skins.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thx for the tutorial. I have been trying to install skins in the CDDS format for ages and this is as far as I’ve ever gotten.

I’m still only having limited success and maybe someone could please help me.

Ok after step 9 should the skins show up in game and be ready to use? Yes I would like to just create new cdds files for each skin No problem just follow the CDDS tutorial and forget about the Modman or make a small skin bundle and then install them as described above but with out using modman.You don't use modman to install the CDDS file its done manualy Only problem is when I tried to install just one A10 skin using the method described here (up to step 9 ) it didn’t show up in game.Reread the instructions and try again you did some thing wrong but i can't tell you what not enuff information from you I’m pretty sure I’m not doing anything wrong because when I installed a few Su33 skins as described here; http://forum.lockon.ru/showthread.php?t=19714 it worked perfectly. Thank you I am Deadman after all and if you read the frist part of that post you will see that I helped Ice make his packs same tutoialHowever when I use the same method to install any other skin it doesn’t show up in game.

What could be my problem? Could it be the file has to be 24bit,Yes if so how do I check Right click opn the file click on properities click on the summary tab look for bit depth it has to be 24 and change a You need a program to convert the file Google THE GIMP file so I can install them like ICE’s su33 skins.Reread the instructions and try again you did some thing wrong I was on Team speak for over two hours walking Ice through making the cddsits not easy the frist time just keep trying :pilotfly:

Have fun

Any help would be appreciated.

and rember only you can

Some help!!

Hey DM,

Following your install I have made the CDDS file and inserted to Bazar\World. From there I went into the config file and added a new line above everything with my CDDS file name: The Arrow is not in there just pointing it out. I have also tried putting it above the new F-15 textures as well and nothing... I have the mod man upgrade. Any idea as to what I am doing wrong?

{

common = ".\\Bazar\\World\\f15_newtextures.cdds";

common = ".\\Bazar\\World\\f15_maintextures.cdds";

common = ".\\Bazar\\World\\walmisWeapons.cdds";

common = ".\\Bazar\\World\\f15_textures.cdds";

common = ".\\Bazar\\World\\shots_textures.cdds"; <------

highFolder = ".\\Bazar\\TempTextures\\";

common = ".\\Bazar\\World\\Su-25T_Fictional_USAF.cdds";

common = ".\\Bazar\\World\\SU-25T_black.cdds";

common = ".\\Bazar\\Terrain\\Surface\\High\\LandTexturesSumBMP.cdds";

common = ".\\Bazar\\Terrain\\Surface\\High\\LandTexturesSumTGA.cdds";

}

Hey DM,

Following your install I have made the CDDS file and inserted to Bazar\World. From there I went into the config file and added a new line above everything with my CDDS file name: The Arrow is not in there just pointing it out. I have also tried putting it above the new F-15 textures as well and nothing... I have the mod man upgrade. Any idea as to what I am doing wrong?

{

common = ".\\Bazar\\World\\f15_newtextures.cdds";

common = ".\\Bazar\\World\\f15_maintextures.cdds";

common = ".\\Bazar\\World\\walmisWeapons.cdds";

common = ".\\Bazar\\World\\f15_textures.cdds";

common = ".\\Bazar\\World\\shots_textures.cdds"; <------

highFolder = ".\\Bazar\\TempTextures\\";:cry: This is your TEMP TEXTURE FILE

common = ".\\Bazar\\World\\Su-25T_Fictional_USAF.cdds";

common = ".\\Bazar\\World\\SU-25T_black.cdds";

common = ".\\Bazar\\Terrain\\Surface\\High\\LandTexturesSumBMP.cdds";

common = ".\\Bazar\\Terrain\\Surface\\High\\LandTexturesSumTGA.cdds";

}

What are you trying to do you have these CDDS for the F-15

common = ".\\Bazar\\World\\f15_newtextures.cdds"; Lock on reads this first are there skins here?

common = ".\\Bazar\\World\\f15_maintextures.cdds"; What is in this?

common = ".\\Bazar\\World\\walmisWeapons.cdds"; What is in this?

common = ".\\Bazar\\World\\f15_textures.cdds" What is in this?

common = ".\\Bazar\\World\\shots_textures.cdds"; Your file is not read because the previous CDDS are over righting it!!!!!

Above your CDDS file do any of then contain the F-15 Skin names?

Why do you have entries above your Temp texture file? Lock reads this file from the top of the page so

common = ".\\Bazar\\World\\f15_newtextures.cdds"

Is going to be the CDDS file that is read for the F-15 first over writing the Temp texture file and any fallowing CDDS files for the F-15 What is inside of it?

Where do the instructions say to put your files? Placing entries over the Temp Texture line may cause problems !!!!

Your working on the CDDS instillation so you don't need to use MODMAN 5 yet once your new size CDDS file is in place and working you replace skins with Modman 5? When you go to install old skins in to your new CDDS file you will have to open the old Modman skin pack with Modman add on maker and redirect it to your new CDDS file.

SO the problem is you have a bunch of new CDDS files there and you only need one CDDS for the F-15 you don’t need a CDDS file for each skin in. Uninstall what you did take the CDDs Browser and look for all the skins in what you have if their all high res you don’t need a new F-15 CDDS use Modman to install your skins in to what you all ready have. If the skin does not properly cover the skin it may be because the model is not finished.

You have so many CDDS files that I don’t know what is in them. You have to look

Thx for the help Deadman.

Well seeing as I can install Ice’s Su33 skins in CDDS format manually using the method you describe here, then I can only conclude that I am some how failing to create my own CDDS files properly.

Just as a test I am using this skin (2048X2048 ) ; http://www.lockonfiles.com/modules.php?name=Downloads&d_op=viewdownloaddetails&cid=68&lid=26&ttitle=A-10_104th_FW_1024x_2048X#dldetails

But whenever I make a CDDS file and install it exactly like Ice’s Su33 CDDS file it never shows up in game.

Here’s a screen shot of my project folder;

projecta10bd3.jpg

And here’s the line I added to the graphics .cfg file;

common = ".\\Bazar\\World\\A-10-UpGrade.cdds";

I tried right clicking on the file but it doesn’t give me any relevant info;

infodl7.th.jpg

Also I have Photoshop with a dds filter but I’m not sure if that will help (I’m not very good with PS) .. do I need the Gimp program you talked about or will PS work in changing the file, if it in fact it needs changing.

Sorry to be a pain .. thx.

Install all A-10 skin find one for each A-10 OKRAS L&R through A-10 okras 8L & 8R install the modman pack in to the tenp texture file by unclickin the when ever install into CDDS box in Momad add on Manager> go to the Temp Textyre file after you have installed all of your files There should be all of the files but in BIT amp now Use them to creat your New CDDS fil;e

• Like 1

Woooooooohhhhhhooooooooooo Yeeeeeeeeeessssssss IT worked :thumbup: :lol:

I was using Photoshop, ".bmp.bmp" was my problem. I had to convert the files to 24 bit as Deadman instructed and I can now see the new skin in the selection window muhaha.:D

Thank you both sooo much, you are very patient people. I am sorry I cant PM you a beer but I hope rep points will do ;)

Once again thanks a million. :thumbup:

Shots you cannot add a skin Selection to Lock on just by adding a new CDDs!!!! This Means That Walmis increased the number of selectable skin when he made the new model so now there are more skins to choose from but he would have to add more slots for skins just adding another CDDS file DOES NOT do that

Ok you using Walmis’s Pack then to add a skin you will just use Modman to replace one of the existing skins in Walmis’s CDDS pack

DDS is just a compression format that stores a Bitmap 24 picture or TGA

CDDS is just a collection of those compressed Bitmap images or TGA

By adding a new CDDS to replace and old one your not increasing the number of shins. When The Model of the aircraft is installed the Number of skins is determined there are linked to the model.

So the instruction I have given are to increase the Size i.e. from 512x512 to 2048x2048 there for increasing the amount of detail a skin can have and be installed in to the CDDS system and not just put in to the temp texture file