Normandy map Steam version

enhencer_ger

Hello all,

I bought the bf109k and the dora and I'm waiting desperately for the Normandy map. Usually I play DCS in VR by using my HTC Vive. My installation is a Steam version.

Now here my questions:

- When it is possible to pre-order the normandy map for steam?

- In case I would buy the Normandy map now, would it be possibe to migrate this version to steam later on?

- As far as I have understood the Normandy map is made for DCS 2.0 and the steam version is v1.5 only. Where are the main differences between DCS v1.5 and DCS v2.0?

- Would it be possible to use my current warbirds for DCS 2.0, even when I have bought these for steam only?

- Would it be possible to play DCS 2.0 in VR, even without a steam version?

I'm looking forward to your answers.

Thank you very much in advance.

Best regards,

enhencer

Normandy will not be available on Steam until after it is out of beta, which probably won't be until after the v2.5 merge.

ED purchased keys can not be transferred to Steam

The difference between v1.5 and v2.0 is that they use a different version of the graphics engine.

Your currently owned aircraft keys can be used on ED's installation/distribution of DCS

Yes, you don't need Steam for DCS VR

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Thank you very much for your swift answers.

Do you have any rough idea when the Normandy map will be out of beta?

What is the main difference between the graphic engines? Is it faster or better in quality or anything else?

Do you know the main difference between DCS normal and DCS steam version? For me it sounds a little bit like it's not realy necessary to have the steam version. At the moment it seems that DCS normal version is more interesseting then the steam version.

If Normandy map runs on DCS v2.0 only, do I have to buy the Neveda map as well?

Not a clue when it will be out of beta but I would guess not before the end of the year.

Differences in quality, lighting, etc.

Difference is that Steam lets you use the Steam overlay

No you do not need Nevada. The v2.x version doesn't include any terrain so you need a terrain module and either Normandy (once it is available) or Nevada will work.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Rest assured- Normandy will not be on Steam for a LONG time. Like the others said- first, 2.5 and 2.5 does not happen before Caucasus is redone and that wont happen before Normandy is well out the door etcetc...

However- Get the standalone Alpha branch when Normandy comes out and enjoy it there in all its glory_:)

Do you have any rough idea when the Normandy map will be out of beta?

Probably not before the Merge (2.5), which is still months away.

What is the main difference between the graphic engines? Is it faster or better in quality or anything else?

DirectX9 -> DirectX11, which leads to better performance and better graphics.

Do you know the main difference between DCS normal and DCS steam version? For me it sounds a little bit like it's not realy necessary to have the steam version.

On Steam there is only the Stable Release-Distribution of DCS. For standalone usage, there are three different installations, which can be installed in parallel on the same computer:

DCS World Stable Release ( current version 1.5.6.1938 ):

Official stable DCS distribution. Available for free both in Steam or as non-steam standalone version on the DCS-website.

DCS World Open Beta ( current version 1.5.6.1938 ):

Identical with the Stable Release distribution, but recieves new updates earlier (about 1-2 weeks usally) to test them before they become available to the Stable Release distribution. Available only as standalone version for free on the DCS website.

DCS World Open Alpha ( current version 2.0.5.2576 ):

Early Access to DCS World 2, which (among other things) supports multiple maps. Currently the only map available is Nevada (not free!), but the Normandy map (not free!) will be added soon. The Caucasus map (free) is beeing upgraded at the moment to the new engine and will be added to DCS 2.0 if the upgrade has been completed. Available only as standalone version for free (if you own a map to play on) on the DCS website.

As soon as the work on the Caucasus upgrade has been completed, the Stable Release (and probably the Open Beta as well) will be updated to DCS World 2 (2.5 to be precisly). At that point you will be able to play DCS World 2 through Steam, but it will take some more months for that to happen.

At the moment it seems that DCS normal version is more interesseting then the steam version.

Again, they're both the same if you talk about the normal DCS-Version. DCS 2.0, which is not available for Steam yet, is still in Alpha status which is the reason why it is not in Steam yet.

If Normandy map runs on DCS v2.0 only, do I have to buy the Neveda map as well?

No. DCS 2.0 is for free, same as DCS 1.5. Just the maps cost money.

I hope that makes some things more clear :)

Edited by QuiGon

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Just for the record:

a) both 1.5.x and 2.0.x use the same DX11 graphics engine, but different terrain rendering engine, which causes some small performance differences between the two, though which one runs better depends on Your hardware;

b) 1.5.x Open Beta is also available on Steam (if for some reason You're really interested in it), just named different.

For the time being, as You don't own Nevada map, and Normandy isn't out yet, there's no point for You to install 2.0, as it will have no terrain to work with. You might switch to non-Steam 1.5.6, though, just to have a bit faster access to new aircraft releases, and to take advantage of both ED-shop and Steam promo sales (now You're limited to Steam ones only).

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks to all of you for your support and distribution. Your answers were a great help. I think I will uninstall my steam version and play DCS just as I can download it from DCS website.

i bought my first 2 planes in DCS steam version. then i realized that the DCS world "World" was bigger than the steam world.

Go ahead and uninstall it from steam. Ive done so (Now i have 1.5 and 2.0) and im not going back to steam.

I7 7700k - Msi Z270 Gaming+

GTX 1070ti

16gb @2400

2x Samsung 850EVO 250/500 - 1x HDD 1TB

SAITEK-MAD CATZ CYBORG FLY 5 STICK

WIN 10

I did the same thing, discovered DCS world through steam, but then I bought the Huey from the ED shop and found that they weren't interchangeable. Thanks to advice from this forum and ED support (who were very helpful) I just installed the non steam versions and it's been fine since. All my Steam modules show up in the ED version, so anything you already have will work in NTTR if you buy that. Sometimes you can get good deals in the Steam sales, so I have kept my Steam installation for now in case any more bargains pop up.

i7-7700K/Gigabyte RTX2080/Win10 64bit/32Gb RAM/Asus Xonar DX+Sennheiser HD380pro headphones/LG 34" UM65 @2560x1080/TM Warthog+VKB MkIV Rudder pedals/Rift CV1