Nice article on VR - Royal Aeronautical Society

dburne

• Like 1

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

that was awesome. Thanks for that.

And I agree, the Moon landing was beyond incredible!!!

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Thanks for sharing this with us dburne, makes good reading. I am a new face around here because I have come from the Falcon community and so must agree with the author that Falcon 4 BMS in VR would be the ultimate. But one of the reasons I have jumped ship to DCS (I have been a 1 sim guy most of my 30 ish years in virtual skies) is the introduction of new technologies such as VR.

I had a go in the A10, but have fixed on the Spitfire because it needed less interaction outside of VR. And I am enjoying it so much that I have pre ordered the Normandy map and asserts , and can't wait to be good enough (in my mind) to join an online squad and head over the channel in a 4 ship, part of a 12 ship package to give jerry a bloody nose.

I enjoyed falcon and had the 2nd screen with TM MFDs, and was as long time member of 185th etc and so enjoyed modern jet combat but I couldn't see me getting on very well in VR with a modern jet cockpit. My TM MFD's wouldn't be much good if I have to fumble for the buttons by touch as quick selections are required both in air to air, and air to ground combat. Before I got my Rift I was looking forward to the release of the carrier based F18, but now having flown in thee VR world I can't see me flying another jet before there is some sort of hand inside system introduced that will allow me to podge buttons on MFDs, CDUs and UFCs ( by which time I may be hooked on WW2)

At the Cosford flight sim show last year they had a Vive system setup demonstrating both the Vive and leap motion hands inside system on Microsoft flight sim, flying a Cessna. This was brilliant you could move all switches, throttles and even flight yoke within the VR cockpit. This technology is also new, and is coming. Hopefully ED will adopt one of these technologies and the we really will be rocking and rolling, and that will be the trigger for me to strap myself back in a jet.

ASUS Maximus X Hero; i7-8700K OC'd @ 5 Ghz; Zotac GeForce GTX 1080 AMP Extreme 8GB; 32GB G.Skill Trident Z DDR4 3200Mhz RAM; 500GB Samsung EVO 960 SSD; Warthog HOTAS; Saitek Pro Flight Rudder pedals; HP Reverb VR; Realtus Forcefeel Game Pad running on SimShaker for Aviators software. :thumbup: