[Warranty: VOID!] - The Mother Of All X-55 Mods (inc. Images)

After posting my BRD-DS 'Raven' review there were a few questions directed at and regarding the mods I'd done to my (now) trusty old Saitek X-55...

I thought I'd put up a little thread to answer those questions and do a bit of a show and tell as an example of what can be achieved with this HOTAS. Any and all questions welcome.

Before starting a few credits are due - none of this would have been possible without the totally awesome MMJOY2 by mega_mozg_13, a really handy bit of code that can turn an Arduino Pro Micro (and others) into a USB HID controller that is seen by Windows as a standard DirectX Input Device. Very powerful. Highly configurable.

Also, a little hidden gem called Joystick Gremlin by WhiteMagic - A very flexible open source joystick/game controller configuration utility suite - Think of it as T.A.R.G.E.T or Saitek SST but not manufacturer specific, it works for and can unify all your controllers regardless of make or model. Again, infinitely powerful. With this little bit of software, combined with clever use of the in-game modifier/switch facility you can create a very versatile and intuitive universal mode/layer profile for all your gear. I seriously recommend exploring the possibilities.

So...

Here's a shot of the whole family together (obviously the MFG's & BRD I can't take credit for):

IMG_1.png

And the items that are the subject of this thread:

IMG_0204.jpg

MOD 1 - The Stick:

I'll start with this one because as of the other week it's almost moot. It's no longer used and the grip has found a new home atop the awesome BRD-DS.

-- Grip Mods --

The grip's internal wiring has been completely replaced as part of this mod, it was a requirement to use some of my button choices.

Button replacements - Several buttons replaced with higher quality & feel variants.

Hat Modifying - Attachments modified to stop wobbliness. Tops cut & shaped. Rubberized covers added.

Comfort Mod - A bit of foam stuck to the hand rest...

Weighting - Quite rudimentary but very effective: Copper coins bundled together in the right sizes with LX tape and then secured to any free space available inside the grip. Makes a very noticeable difference to the feel and action of the grip.

No internal shots of this one, I'm afraid...it was an utter PITA to get it all in there and together. The thought of opening it makes me shudder!

Grip_1.jpg

-- Base and Gimbal Mods --

Centre Mounting - Cut the business end out of the original base and rehoused in an aluminium box more suitable for centre mounting.

Off-Axis Grip rotation - Made a new set of holes for the grip coupler split-pin, slightly off axis to the left. Achieved a much more comfortable experience.

Zero Notch, Self Centring/Progressive Resistance - Removed Saitek centring components and implemented a different design using a swash-plate and springs. Not the most elegant solution, but it actually worked really well and exceeded my expectations. It's centring is quite accurate if you can believe.

Here's what's left of it after the grip was given a better home (the 3 holes were from analogue rotaries and a rotary switch I had installed as part of the mod)...

Stick_1.jpg

Stick_2.jpg

Stick_3.jpg

Stick_4.jpg

MOD 2 - The Throttle:

Now this one is less of a mod and more of a complete re-tooling - There is hardly anything left of the original internals. None of the PCB's and most certainly none of the wiring.

A massive re-arrangement of toggles and analogue rotaries has been implemented, more buttons and push button rotary encoders have been added in amongst other edits and additions. Useless mouse nipples have been tossed away!

-- Throttle Mods --

Handle Extension - A 50mm extension has been added to both handles - The main reason for this was that I was non-plussed regarding the accessibility of the toggles on the right of the base during use...they were really awkward to use depending on the throttle position and in general. The other effect the extension provides is added travel to the arc of the handles, and by proxy, added precision to throttle adjustments...nice!

This was quite a tough nut to crack - How to do it. How to integrate the extensions into the existing mechanics and design. How to make the handles more secure and less wobbly than the original method. How to make it so that it can be de-assembled for maintenance...

For a while I couldn't figure it out and thought I'd just have to build a throttle mechanism from scratch if I wanted longer handles...but it came around in the end. The photos will explain it better, but it essentially uses various cuts of aluminium box tube - (per handle) One piece with a hole for wires in the recess of the base for the original handle legs, secured with the original machine screws/nuts, and then the extensions formed of 2 box halves that would the seat the handles themselves...all tied together with a quad of machine screws/nuts for the top and bottom ends. Job done.

It works brilliantly. The channels in the base needed a couple of mm widening and a few other little bits of filing here and there but it was a solid fit. And along with these additional tweaks the wobble from the throttle is virtually eliminated!

Ext_2.jpg

Ext_3.jpg

Ext_1.jpg

Electro-Mechanical Re-Order - Virtually none of the original switch, button and analogue rotary arrangement still exists. The two thumb analogue rotaries have been swapped out for push button endless encoders. Same for the rotaries on the base. The encoder that was on the left handle is now an analogue rotary (perfect for heli throttle or prop rpm). The slide 'spd brk' switch on the right throttle now actually works as a 2 button toggle, the list goes on...so the photos will fill it in:

Why cut so many analogues? - I personally find that, in DCS, encoders are more flexible than analogues. Besides, I'm not having an analogue purge by any means...more on that with the next item.

DT_TH1_(1).png

DT_TH1_(2).png

DT_TH1_(3).png

All of these mods have used the 'button matrix' method of connecting large amounts of inputs. Sure, I could've gone with shift registers but where's the fun in that!...I like tearing my hair out with brain overload!

In truth, I've only just explored the subject of shift registers - Rest assured...anything else I do from now on will be based on this much more practical and hassle free solution!

This is the hard way - Not so pretty on the inside:

TH1_Inside_1.jpg

TH1_Inside_2.jpg

TH1_Mod_Wiring.png

MOD 3 - Using What's Left Over:

One could argue that the following does not qualify as an X-55 mod. However, it does use a few of the components from the throttle, and, it is housed in/on the discarded carcass of the X-55 Stick. And whatever, if I'm doing a thread about butchering and modding input devices I may as well throw in my own love-child!

It's a control panel/button box, and where I chose to migrate the majority of my analogue controls to. Again, based on a MMJOY2/Pro Micro 'brain' - This is in fact the 4th iteration of this particular control panel. The design, configuration and layout of which has evolved over the past 6 months...I think this is it...or very nearly it.

Pretty simple - Various electro-mechanical components. 5mm acrylic main panel. 3mm acrylic sub-panels. Lots of wires.

IMG_2.png

DT_CP4_(1).png

Again, not so pretty! - It hurts my head just looking at it!

IMG_0213.jpg

Do note: that if any of this inspires you or gives any ideas for modding some of your own kit...It will totally and utterly void any warranty you might have! :thumbup:

(Not that it matters with Saitek gear any more.)

Edited by Fubarbrickdust
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9700k@5.2Ghz | GTX 1080ti | 32gb Ram@3200Mhz | 512gb M.2 NVME SSD

Oculus Rift S | VKB GF Pro Mk.II+MCG Pro (rotary wing) | BRD DS-Raven (fixed wing) | MFG Crosswind V2 | Jetseat+SSA/SSM | SimLab GT1 80/20 Rig | NLR Motion Platform V3 | Quad Bass Shaker Setup

DIY Control Panels: 'White Rhino' Throttle | UFC | MFBB Left | MFBB Right | MFBB Centre | WEP-TECH ACP | HYD-MECH LDG | SYS-ELEC | AN/ARC Radio

Nice! :)

If I consider - I've actually spent more time of late messing and tweaking with hardware than I have flying...

...Maybe I should look into a 'Ground Crew' sim as opposed to a combat flight one!

• Like 1

Oculus Rift S | VKB GF Pro Mk.II+MCG Pro (rotary wing) | BRD DS-Raven (fixed wing) | MFG Crosswind V2 | Jetseat+SSA/SSM | SimLab GT1 80/20 Rig | NLR Motion Platform V3 | Quad Bass Shaker Setup

DIY Control Panels: 'White Rhino' Throttle | UFC | MFBB Left | MFBB Right | MFBB Centre | WEP-TECH ACP | HYD-MECH LDG | SYS-ELEC | AN/ARC Radio

Very very nice. Kudos to you on it. And just so I am understanding what I am seeing here, regarding the button box. You removed the stick from the it's base and then modded the stick's base box to create the button box?

If so man does that look good. It looks like a production unit. Dang I want one, even though I use TM Hog hotas. Any more details on it? Pics maybe during construction?

Very very nice. Kudos to you on it. And just so I am understanding what I am seeing here, regarding the button box. You removed the stick from the it's base and then modded the stick's base box to create the button box?

If so man does that look good. It looks like a production unit. Dang I want one, even though I use TM Hog hotas. Any more details on it? Pics maybe during construction?

Thanks :thumbup: I'm actually quite pleased with the latest revision of the panel.

Yes. You're understanding it perfectly - In the aftermath of the stick mod there was just the carcass of the base with a hulking great square hole in it. I considered that it'd be the perfect starting place for a control panel chassis as it was exactly the same dimensions as the throttle base, complete with M6 mounting holes for machine bolts, etc.

Unfortunately I don't have any pics of the build process as I didn't take any at the time. I only opened it up today for the purpose of this thread. But do feel free to ask any specifics and I'll do my best to answer.

The aesthetics of the panel are actually a by-product of the design brief I'd set myself, I'd made a few attempts at panels before and learned a few things in the process:

The 'module panels' look is only present because I'd like the ability to change my mind regarding certain elements of the panel if I choose, also, from experience, there's nothing worse than finalising a layout and then making a foolish mistake toward the end of the hole cutting process and fouling the whole board because you pissed up one of the switch or button mounts!...very annoying and wasteful. Doing the panel in 'modules' affords the ability to make the odd mistake and not ruin the whole dish as it were.

A bit of advice if you're ever gonna hand make yourself a panel - Try to avoid using buttons or switches that require square panel holes! It's doable, but a real headache! I learned that one a while ago.

The other design criteria that greatly affected the look of the panel (ironically) is the fact that I fly exclusively in VR, which effectively means blindfolded to the outside world. Pretty much all of the component and layout choices are based solely with that in mind - the layout and literal feel of the panel had to be varied yet intuitive enough to easily navigate by feel alone. When you look at the panel with those thoughts in mind you can sort of see those choices click into play, and why it's laid out and looks the way it does.

Of course, I didn't need to spray it all black...but what decent bit of tech doesn't come in black?! (MFG Crosswinds not included in that comment, of course.)

Edited by Fubarbrickdust

Hey, thanks for posting this. I doubt I'll go 'all in' like you did, but there are definitely some very creative ideas here, very impressive. Thank you for taking the time to document your work and share it here!

Tbh, this is what I find so endearing about the DCS community, not only is it full of exciting and talented people, but a great many of them are very open and helpful!

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

Loving this, all those switches would be very useful though I wouldn't want to have to re-map them all!!! Great work mate!

EVGA GTX1080TISC2 Black Hybrid Cooler, Asus Strix X399, Water cooled ThreadRipper 1920X, Dominator 32GB 3200Mhz,NVME Samsung 250/500GB SSDs, Corsair Air 740 case, Acer Predator 34' Gsync curved display + 3x Alienware 23inch 120hz monitors. TM HOTAS, RAZER - Tiamat,Blackwidow, Mamba, Tartarus and Oculus Rift CV1/DK2 + TrackIR5, MFG crosswinds

Oh and a very understanding wife.

I have a question, you said the modifications you made to the X55 required a little extra tweaking to make the conmectors compatible again.

These base connectors on the joysticks, is each one different and proprietary or are they similar enough to be readily adapted usually? Basically, I'm wanting to throw away my X55 base and get an extended mechanical from either Virpil, VKB, or Baur (don't care which tbh) and ideally keep the actual grip. It's plastic, sure, but I actually like the layout, has enough buttons, etc, so no need to trash it unless necessary.

I'm new to the whole 'building fancy electronics' stuff, everything I've used thus far was plug and play. I'm willing to do some minor tweaking if necessary, but I don't have the skill level (or time tbh) to go all mad scientist like some of you guys :p

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

Very well done, lot of work in this , but the result, including visual is terrific. :thumbup:

These base connectors on the joysticks, is each one different and proprietary or are they similar enough to be readily adapted usually?

Saitek connector is proprietary, VKB too and one don't "talk" with other or TmW connector.

Baur and Virpil seems follow TmW model and use PS2 connector - what make easy use TmW grip in their bases. Wise decision. ;)

Edited by Sokol1_br

Congratulations for such a fantastic work, Fubarbrickdust :thumbsup:

The controls and switches selection and layout are obviously very well thought out.

My X-55 could seriously use that kind of transmogrification!

Thanks for sharing all the details.

/// ВКБ: GF Pro MkII+MCG Pro/GF MkII+SCG L/Black Mamba MkIII/Gladiator/T-Rudder MkII | X-55 Rhino throttle/Saitek Throttle Quadrant | OpenTrack+UTC /// ZULU +4 ///

/// "THE T3ASE": i9 9900K | 64 GB DDR4 | RTX 2080ti OC | 2 TB NVMe SSDs, 1 TB SATA SSD, 12 TB HDDs | Gigabyte DESIGNARE mobo ///

Ok, thanks, Sokol! So... I really just need to fashion an adaptor to/from PS2... Seems simple enough ;)

Look how Baur did: ;)

https://forum.il2sturmovik.ru/topic/2087-obzor-igrovogo-komplekta-ot-brd/page-18#entry443905

This adapter can be used in X-55, replacing the original proprietary nut and connector:

https://forum.il2sturmovik.ru/uploads/monthly_03_2017/post-842-0-94132900-1489951623.jpg

https://forum.il2sturmovik.ru/uploads/monthly_03_2017/post-842-0-11710700-1489951636.jpg

The internal connector is a common PS2.

• 3 years later...

Don’t know if this topic is still relevant but I want to thank you for putting this out here. I just need to learn how to use shift registers because I don’t want to use a button matrix. This convinced me to get the 56 when they come back in stock because right now I need a desk top stick and throttle but at some point I wanted to do center stick desk mounted. Now I know how easy it is to modify. Your setup definitely looks very good.

• 1 year later...

What I'd love to see is better photos of that throttle modification he's done because my X-55 complete died in that area, it's a serious weak spot that Saitek/Logitech should have used metal for and not crappy plastic that's likely to crack and split over the years.

Cracked.png.c7f267d0b0765452b5176e27be5671c3.png

RightThrottleCrack1.jpg.59d92836dc5133ea76325fda9e823747.jpg

RightThrottleCrack2.jpg.6d95ecf8ad2be8ca7f40c9f5c51ac19f.jpg