Clear Category - ALL

I am sure there is something on this somewhere. But why doesn't the ALL work in the controller setup? If you select a single aircraft/mode, then select ALL, one still has to go through every single subcategory to actually clear the category.

Why can't we just select aircraft/mode, ALL, clear category and ALL gets cleared for that aircraft/mode?

It is still very cumbersome to go through every single aircraft/mode even for general and have to go into each subcategory to clear category.

In essence, why doesn't the "ALL" actually show ALL subcategories so we can clear ALL for the selected aircraft/mode?

Asus X99 II, i7-6850k, GTX 1080, 32GB RAM, M.2/SSD Drives, Win10-64

AFAIK, the only thing that doesn't get cleared when you clear 'ALL' is the axis settings.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Why can't we just select aircraft/mode, ALL, clear category and ALL gets cleared for that aircraft/mode?

There are a few exceptions but generally every full fidelity aircraft has it's own separate bindings list.

If you want to clear all binding for all of your aircrafts delete the content of the input folder in the DCS user settings folders. I would have to check which exactly folder it is but if I recall correctly its in user saved games, DCS.openbeta (or DCS.openalpha for 2.0.x), and then config\input.

This way you can also delete a folder only for a specific module which will erase all of your bindings for it.

By the way, you can also make backups and restore your settings or even (may be risky) copy them from 1.5.x to 2.0.x thus saving some time on having to reconfigure bindings for the module from scratch.

It is still very cumbersome to go through every single aircraft/mode even for general and have to go into each subcategory to clear category.

I think if you do clear without selecting a category it'll clear everything apart of axis. Well, at least everything for a selected controller. If a category is selected it'll clear only a bindings from selected cateogry.

F/A-18, F-16, F-14, M-2000C, A-10C, AV-8B, AJS-37 Viggen, F-5E-3, F-86F, MiG-21bis, MiG-15bis, L-39 Albatros, C-101 Aviojet, P-51D, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Bf 109 4-K, UH-1H, Mi-8, Ka-50, NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf... and not enough time to fully enjoy it all

cichlidfan - I know it works for one single category at a time like the axis or the view, i.e. a single subcategory of an aircraft/mode. I am talking about the entire aircraft/mode. Thank you for your input but it does not address my issue.

firmek-Amazingly, I already did that. I made a backup of the saved games\...input. Then I deleted the unwanted controller from all the aircraft/modes in each folder. But then when I started DCS back up, it basically repopulated everything back to defaults with all settings again. So that didn't do anything other than restore all the defaults.

cichlidfan - I know it works for one single category at a time like the axis or the view, i.e. a single subcategory of an aircraft/mode. I am talking about the entire aircraft/mode. Thank you for your input but it does not address my issue.

It always has worked for me. For each aircraft I do a clear 'ALL' and then switch to the AXIS screen and clear that. Those two steps clear every single control setting for a single aircraft. If that is not working then something is wrong.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

I must have been doing it wrong, too, because I always have cleared the categories one at a time, and also export them one at a time. Royal. Pain. In ass.

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

I must have been doing it wrong, too, because I always have cleared the categories one at a time, and also export them one at a time. Royal. Pain. In ass.

I don't know what issue the OP is running into but as for saving profiles, the categories don't matter. The 'Save Profile' button will save all categories, including axis settings, for the selected controller (and the selected module). So you need to save a profile for each controller (i.e. joystick, pedals, etc.) per aircraft.

You can verify what got saved, quite easily, by opening the resulting file using a text editor.

Yeah, I know. That's precisely what he's talking about. Everything is 'per controller'. It doesn't appear to just save the whole thing in one go, nor does it appear to clear all commands, you have to go through each controller one at a time.

He is complaining that 'clear ALL' doesn't clear ALL

Or for all planes. I really wish there was a hierarchical method where you can say "all planes: Flap up is blah" As it is today, you have to configure it one plane at a time. It would be great for LUA editing as well (for button boxes etc)

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Well, that at least, is slightly more understandable, as each plane has completely different controls or even positions. That comes down to requiring each module developer to make sure that the commands all use the same coding/scripting names, etc. Just because on our end, the UI, it says "Flaps" doesn't mean the actual internal call is the same between aircraft. I understand having to do each plane individually, even if it is a pain. It's a byproduct of the patchwork nature of DCS.

He is complaining that 'clear ALL' doesn't clear ALL

Is clear ALL assignments in category: keyboard or joy or pedal or mouse...

Not clear ALL, in all categories.

Sometimes this can be desirable, others not, one can want reassign axis but not keyboard, or vice versa.

No way to please "Greeks and Trojan" in this matter. :D

Greetings - Now that I am looking at it, I understand the Clear Category clears the controller column chosen per Aircraft/mode and per the option in the drop down like Axis Commands, Autopilot, etc.

But the point here is that When you select the aircraft/mode, we have to go through each drop down item one at a time Axis, Flight, View, and click on Clear Category for the particular controller chosen.

We should be able to select Aircraft/Mode, then select ALL in the drop down, then select the controller and not only will all the assignments get cleared from the column, but also all the items in the drop down because we chose ALL. We have to go through every single drop down item and clear category for every single item for every single aircraft/mode. The clear All does not clear ALL the items in the drop down for the selected controller.

I hope this is very clear now. Thank you.

Greetings - I stand corrected. cichlidfan, it appears you are correct. The only drop down item that does not get cleared is the axis commands. Thank you.

Greetings - I stand corrected. cichlidfan, it appears you are correct. The only drop down item that does not get cleared is the axis commands. Thank you.

You are welcome. :)

So one last question because with all the posts on what gets saved when you save a profile, I just need a clear understanding on what each profile saves. When I select an aircraft/mode then click on a column for a column for a controller and click Save Profile----Is that just saving that one controller settings for the given aircraft mode? In essence, I need a profile for each controller for every single aircraft/mode, correct? 3 controllers, 10 aircraft = 30 profiles...is that correct?

Save Profile----Is that just saving that one controller settings for the given aircraft mode? In essence, I need a profile for each controller for every single aircraft/mode, correct? 3 controllers, 10 aircraft = 30 profiles...is that correct?

Correct.

Yes... it really is as bad as you imagine it.

And Sokol, actually, yes, there is a way to please "Greeks and Trojans in this matter".

Two buttons. Clear All In Category and Clear All. Not that hard.

-edit

@PBSMGM

You think you have it bad? I have a stick, throttle, pedals, and four control panels (soon to be eight). That's 11 controllers. Times ten aircraft? 110 profile saves?

@ED

On that note... Seriously? 110 profile saves? FFS, saving a profile should save EVERYTHING associated with that aircraft, not individual controllers. That's backasswards, no way around it. Maybe you could get away with that back in the 90s when people were using a stick and MAYBE a throttle, but this game caters to the "enthusiast" and then has this Dark Ages style UI for controllers? Again, this is not that complicated. Just. Save. Everything. NOT PER CONTROLLER. If you try to import a profile from somebody else that had controllers you don't have, it should just come in minus those controllers. This is really pretty ridiculous the more I think about it. It has nothing to do whatsoever with the modules being different, or a "deliberate control scheme to please everybody" it's just backasswards. Why is it even like this??? I mean, it makes zero sense.

P.P.S. For that matter, it doesn't need to load and display each individual controller and have a separate column for each. Just have the commands themselves there and allow multiple inputs to a given command. We should only have TWO columns, one for keyboard and one for your custom controls and it just inputs (Joystick Button #1 ; Throttle Button #2)

There is no need for a dozen columns, one for each controller and then to have to export or import PER CONTROLLER like this. It's completely illogical. I hope in addition to new planes and maps and game engines, Eagle Dynamics details somebody to go over the UI and tidy things up a bit. It REALLY needs an optimisation/simplification pass.

Edited by zhukov032186

Actually, I was looking at the saved games...\input folder. Isn't it possible to just simply save a copy of that folder and name that folder something like "Base Install" so that I can just bring that folder back if it all goes haywire. And just build versions of that folder for backing up all the controller profiles. Would that work?

Actually, I was looking at the saved games...\input folder. Isn't it possible to just simply save a copy of that folder and name that folder something like "Base Install" so that I can just bring that folder back if it all goes haywire. And just build versions of that folder for backing up all the controller profiles. Would that work?

In terms of 'if it all goes haywire', yes that would work. The problem arises when someone wants to use that folder after an update where control definitions were added, removed or changed. In that case, you backup doesn't match what the sim expects and there will be problems.

However, I do agree with zhukov that the system does need some improvements.