Introducing the VKB-Sim ‘Modern Combat Grip’ (MCG)

rrohde

I only wanna know one thing, rrohde....

What about this modern throttle unit you mentioned in the emails? And when will there be another production run of sticks? And why do hot dogs come in packages of ten but buns come in packages of eight? Ok, that's more than one thing, but this is the Internet, you should expect this sort of thing.

The modern throttle grips are coming, but no ETA yet. The initial renders I saw looked very promising, and it all can be attached to the upcoming modular throttle VKB is working on. In a nutshell - imagine a throttle control system (TCS) that you can piece together to some extent based on your needs - design a WWII style throttle, or a modern jet one, add the throttle grips you want, configure, and there you are. That's the idea here. :)

And yes, usually there is another production run coming up later in the year for the Gunfighters (again, no ETA), where of course all these issues that cause the current delays have been resolved, and maybe, only maybe, the MCG grip will be the default grip by then as well (pure speculation on my part about the MCG becoming the default grip then).

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've (pre-)ordered the Gunfighter and the Warthog adapter. I was expecting the Gunfighter to arrive by now, and the MCG grip in much later, so it made sense to get the adapter in the mean time. However, with these delays, if the Gunfighter delays now mean the Gunfighters are going to ship a week before or even the same time as the MCG, then, to be honest, it really makes sense for me to just get the grip instead of hacking apart the TMWH grip.

So, what I would like to know is:

(1) Would this be possible (i.e., cancel the Warthog adapter order, and pay the difference to get the grip?

(2) Any information on the timing of the shipping of the Gunfighters vs. the MCG grip, so that this make sense (i.e. a week or two difference)?

Well, when you flip it up it registers a button press that you can assign to anything you want from within the VKBdevCfg software. :)

Sounds like a quick "Master arm" to me!

• Like 1

Owned: Ryzen 3900x, MSI AMD 470x mobo, 32gb 3200MHz ram, Gtx 1660 Ti, 970 Evo Plus 500GB, MsFFB2, TIR5, TMWH+18c Stick, MFG Crosswinds, Buttkicker/SSA, WinWing F-18C . Next is VR for simpit

Art Of The Kill:

I've (pre-)ordered the Gunfighter and the Warthog adapter. I was expecting the Gunfighter to arrive by now, and the MCG grip in much later, so it made sense to get the adapter in the mean time. However, with these delays, if the Gunfighter delays now mean the Gunfighters are going to ship a week before or even the same time as the MCG, then, to be honest, it really makes sense for me to just get the grip instead of hacking apart the TMWH grip.

So, what I would like to know is:

(1) Would this be possible (i.e., cancel the Warthog adapter order, and pay the difference to get the grip?

(2) Any information on the timing of the shipping of the Gunfighters vs. the MCG grip, so that this make sense (i.e. a week or two difference)?

So, according to VKB HQ, the Gunfighters should start shipping Mid April - based on the latest assessment of the PCB situation.

That said, the MCG won't ship until June (and that's the original ETA when the MCG was first announced - so that could potentially change, knowing VKB by now).

Also, I cannot take orders apart and tweak them - what I can do, however, is refund your original order (instantaneous) and then let you order what you want from scratch. When the MCG comes out some time in June, you can just order it by itself (if the shipping cost is a concern - it should be $19 max). :)

Please contact me at NorthAmerica@VKB-Sim.pro if you want to discuss this further.

• Like 1

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

So, according to VKB HQ, the Gunfighters should start shipping Mid April - based on the latest assessment of the PCB situation.

That said, the MCG won't ship until June (and that's the original ETA when the MCG was first announced - so that could potentially change, knowing VKB by now).

Also, I cannot take orders apart and tweak them - what I can do, however, is refund your original order (instantaneous) and then let you order what you want from scratch. When the MCG comes out some time in June, you can just order it by itself (if the shipping cost is a concern - it should be $19 max). :)

Please contact me at NorthAmerica@VKB-Sim.pro if you want to discuss this further.

Hmmm. I guess I'll stick to the full order, stick + WH adapter, given the possibility of a couple of months or more till the MCG.

New question. Do you intend to make a version of the Gunfighter that has the MCG as standard ?

I am looking at two options here; I already have the Warthog, so either i buy the Gunfighter with Warthog adapter, or a version that has the modern grip as standard.

Intel Core i7­6700K, 32GB DDR4, 512GB PCIe SSD + 2TB HDD, GeForce GTX 1080 8GB, Pimax 5k+

New question. Do you intend to make a version of the Gunfighter that has the MCG as standard ?

I am looking at two options here; I already have the Warthog, so either i buy the Gunfighter with Warthog adapter, or a version that has the modern grip as standard.

From rrhode's post earlier:

And yes, usually there is another production run coming up later in the year for the Gunfighters (again, no ETA), where of course all these issues that cause the current delays have been resolved, and maybe, only maybe, the MCG grip will be the default grip by then as well (pure speculation on my part about the MCG becoming the default grip then).

I have the Gunfighter on order, and have decided I am not going to use my Warthog grip on it ( don't want to render it useless for the Warthog base), so am just going to wait on the new grip and get it when it is available to order.

Edited by dburne

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Thanks for the heads up dburne, can i assume you need to modify the Warthog grip in some way to use it ?

Looks like i am going to wait for the MCG Gunfighter.

Intel Core i7­6700K, 32GB DDR4, 512GB PCIe SSD + 2TB HDD, GeForce GTX 1080 8GB, Pimax 5k+

Thanks for the heads up dburne, can i assume you need to modify the Warthog grip in some way to use it ?

Looks like i am going to wait for the MCG Gunfighter.

Yes, you have to replace the stock adapter that is in the WH grip with the VKB adapter. Different wiring scheme, so it is not simply " plug and play"...

Probably not a big deal to do, but I prefer not to have the hassle and keep my WH assembly as is - just in case.

I am also now partially blind due to a stroke and doing the change would likely be a much bigger challenge for me.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Thanks again dbourne,

I am absolutely allergic to tampering with electronics. Disaster in the making !

Wait it is then !

Thanks again dbourne,

I am absolutely allergic to tampering with electronics. Disaster in the making !

Wait it is then !

:thumbup:

Sounds like a plan.

Don B

Yes, you have to replace the stock adapter that is in the WH grip with the VKB adapter. Different wiring scheme, so it is not simply " plug and play"...

Probably not a big deal to do, but I prefer not to have the hassle and keep my WH assembly as is - just in case.

I am also now partially blind due to a stroke and doing the change would likely be a much bigger challenge for me.

The stick is not plug and play but the adapter kit is literally that... the new wiring scheme requires you to add a little box (20x30x5mm or so, it mounts under TM pcb) that converts the 5-wire to 3-wire. To accomplish this there is no soldering or any real wiring being done, everything is microJST1.25mm plugs. You unplug the TM connector from the board and plug the VKB connector to the little box that in turn plugs into the board.

Yes, the process is simple but a bit "advanced" for average simmer. ;)

Somehow people manage in mess this (like some mess in that "famous" re-grease), there one "clip" a cable, in other topic there the guy destroy Shift Register PCB connector...

And that option make TmW grip exclusive for VKB base, and "people being people" want to swap grips, stick bases, like they swap planes in fight games. :D

Modern Combat Grip (MCG) features "External Twist Adapter (currently under development)". What exactly is the External Twist Adapter" does anybody know?

It gives the otherwise non-twist grip the option to have an additional twist axis for users that desire to have one. Lots of space simmers seem to like that idea. :)

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

It gives the otherwise non-twist grip the option to have an additional twist axis for users that desire to have one. Lots of space simmers seem to like that idea. :)

Thanks, I thought it's mechanism to adjust angle of stick around vertical axis for ergonomic purpose.

Do not expect fairness.

The times of chivalry and fair competition are long gone.

Lots of space simmers seem to like that idea. :)

Having a vehicle that can actually rotate about a vertical axis would make the twist quite useful, and effective, in ways where rudder pedals would be less ideal.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Besides HAT and triggers "feel" be prepared for change (more) your (joystick) concepts: :joystick: :D

"shift" (button) is not under the little finger (pinky), and in a convenient location."

IIRC, they said that it won't be directly under in the center, but somewhat to the side (to please both sides) so I hope it's still reachable with a little finger. Hopefully, they'll show off the updated design soon enough.

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

IIRC, they said that it won't be directly under in the center, but somewhat to the side (to please both sides) so I hope it's still reachable with a little finger. Hopefully, they'll show off the updated design soon enough.

I've already got the new renders, but I am not allowed to show them just yet. Have to wait for the finalized mockup to be tested by VKB HQ before I can post images.

That new pinky switch looks more like a middle finger switch now though, due to the limiting factor being the available space inside the grip, as well as the adjustable palm rest.

But there's some really good stuff being added to this grip - especially the "Pro" version (name still not 100% agreed upon).

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

That new pinky switch looks more like a middle finger switch now though, due to the limiting factor being the available space inside the grip, as well as the adjustable palm rest.

Thanks for the update. Just hope it's still within reach while you're grabbing the foldable trigger.

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!