Introducing the VKB-Sim ‘Modern Combat Grip’ (MCG)

rrohde

I have never been so impressed with a controller as I am with this new product! I can see the Pro version in my future!

CPU: i7 980x @ 4.2GHz RAM: 24gb Corsair Vengeance

MB: Gigabyte Sniper X58 w/onboard Soundblaster X-Fi

HD: SanDisk 480gb SSD OS: Win7 Pro 64bit

VIDEO CARD: EVGA GTX 980ti FTW

MONITOR: LG 34" Ultrawide 2560x1080

MP SERVER: ibuypower i7-4810MQ w/Win7 Home 64bit

GEAR: Saitek X-52 Pro; Combat Rudder Pedals; Throttle Quadrants. Thrustmaster MFD's, TrackIR 5 w/Pro Clip, Turtle Beach X-12 Headset

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wish they'd drop their proprietary connector. The TM variant doesn't seem to offer anything over VirPil's offering and although I'd be interested in the Pro version as it's significantly better than VirPil's, I'm not now buying a new base just to go with it after buying VirPil's (which has the better mounting system and no dry clutch that could cause sticktion). All VKB have done by sticking to their connector is force them to create a extra product with new circuitry and wiring to manufacture.

Will the MCG Pro be compatible with the WH (or BRD-N)?

In TmW the issue is this stick base has no support for extra buttons/axis in MCG-PRO.

In BRD base highly improbably due use proprietary 3 pin connector and proprietary code in MCG-PRO or basic version - is not used serial protocol like in Tmw compatible version - you can use MCG-TM in BRD base.

Unless they make a electronic adapter for this...

Edited by Sokol1_br

Gimme that pro model!!!

Owned: Ryzen 3900x, MSI AMD 470x mobo, 32gb 3200MHz ram, Gtx 1660 Ti, 970 Evo Plus 500GB, MsFFB2, TIR5, TMWH+18c Stick, MFG Crosswinds, Buttkicker/SSA, WinWing F-18C . Next is VR for simpit

Art Of The Kill:

Ok ok, guess I will go with the Pro as well dangit!

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Looks like the pro version can allow for realistic button mapping for practically every aircraft in dcs and other sims. Very interesting.

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

Trigger axis? Do you mean the flip up/down trigger? I'll probably use it as the Master Arm for Western aircraft.

IIRC, the flip up/down trigger guard might actually be an axis ... I recall a discussion about whether or not it was necessary to add some sort of sound or tactile feedback for when it was used as a button.

The Pro model would solve all my problems and should be a permanent keeper I reckon. Hrm, the question is, can I somehow hook that thing up to the base of my t.16000m without damaging or outright destroying the new grip in the process. So I gather that all the electronic PCB boards are not placed in the grip but in the vkb or thrustmaster bass units and wiring the Trio to anything other than those is a gamble?

The Pro model would solve all my problems and should be a permanent keeper I reckon. Hrm, the question is, can I somehow hook that thing up to the base of my t.16000m without damaging or outright destroying the new grip in the process. So I gather that all the electronic PCB boards are not placed in the grip but in the vkb or thrustmaster bass units and wiring the Trio to anything other than those is a gamble?

1 - You need remove from MCG grip the PCB circuits and the micro sticks with MaRS sensors (under two top HAT's) and fit there 4/5 way switches (e.g. Alps), and remove the MaRS sensor for analog brake and from foldable trigger, both only work if plugged in VKB NJoy32, and replace then with potentiometer/switch - if the available space allow do this.

2- Install a extra USB controller inside T1600M, because the existing circuit are able to control up to 16 buttons + POV HAT (& 4 axis), and the MCG grip has much more than this.

- MCG grip use Shift Register circuit for handle grip buttons - installed inside grip - and send this in proprietary digital code trough 3 wires for base controller (NJoy32).

- T.16000M grip use Diode Matrix (2x4) to handle his 4 buttons + POV HAT in grip.

Possible - well, maybe with lot of DIY and "FrankenStick... but think that buy a VKB Gladiator PRO or Gunfighter base will be more easy way to use MCG PRO grip. :D

MCG PRO grips is done to be used in VKB bases not in Warthog* and other joysticks bases. ;)

*For this and bases with Shift Register serial protocol support they made the MCG-TM.

IIRC, the flip up/down trigger guard might actually be an axis ... I recall a discussion about whether or not it was necessary to add some sort of sound or tactile feedback for when it was used as a button.

The PRO foldable trigger move up action send a command - besides the usual press in down position - but this command is not though a switch but a axis. So this trigger send two commands.

This extra command fit perfectly for Ka 50 foldable trigger, Bf 109 and Mig-15 foldable trigger (but not for FW 190 D-9 foldable trigger, this is done in "gamey" way), not sure but seems for Su-27/Mig-29 (I don't use this).

Edited by Sokol1_br

Are there any plans to sell a complete joystick with this grip?

P.S. On MCG and MSG TM, the 2-way switch on the top right side of the grip will not be very comfortable. I've got VirPil's version of this grip (not sure what is going on there, but grips are identical visually) and I would have preferred them placing it where Warthog's 'CMS Switch' position is and just a button on top right side (so basically swap places from the setup they and VKB have).

Looks fantastic! However, I agree with @mx22. The 2-way switch on the top right isn't ideal. Even if it doesn't match the SU-35, I think a single button makes way more sense here.

It would be great if you could swap out this switch for a single button as you can with the 4-way thumb switch. That sort of customization really sets this stick apart.

Other than that, I'm sold. Would like to know about complete stick+base options too.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

3570K w/ 16GB, 1070 w/ 8GB @ 1440p, VKB Gunfighter/MCG-Pro & T-Rudder Mk.IV, CH ProThrottle, TrackIR 5, HTC Vive, UniversRadio, VoiceAttack, TacView Pro, DCS Menu Nav

F/A-18C, F-5E, F-86F, A-10C, AV-8B, AJS-37, MiG-21bis, MiG-15bis, UH-1H, Mi-8MTV2, Ka-50, SA342, P-51D, Spitfire Mk.IX, Bf109, Fw190, FC3, CA, Persian Gulf, NTTR, Normandy, WW2 Assets

Will we be seeing the slim profile base paired with this for the pit builders?

Owned: Ryzen 3900x, MSI AMD 470x mobo, 32gb 3200MHz ram, Gtx 1660 Ti, 970 Evo Plus 500GB, MsFFB2, TIR5, TMWH+18c Stick, MFG Crosswinds, Buttkicker/SSA, WinWing F-18C . Next is VR for simpit

Art Of The Kill:

MCG PRO grips is done to be used in VKB bases not in Warthog* and other joysticks bases. ;)

*For this and bases with Shift Register serial protocol support they made the MCG-TM.

It's just I really want the CMS hat switch under the thumb. It's far more useful than a single button. Perhaps the button in the MCG-TM can be substituted for a hat switch?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

64th "Scorpions" Aggressor Squadron

Discord: 64th Aggressor Squadron

TS: 195.201.110.22

It's just I really want the CMS hat switch under the thumb. It's far more useful than a single button. Perhaps the button in the MCG-TM can be substituted for a hat switch?

MCG-TM has same button count of Warthog grip, you can't add more buttons, a 5 way switch in this place will require more 4 button that TmW circuit can't recognize.

MCG-_TM.jpg

In VKB base/controller the grip can have up to 128 buttons. :D

Want that CMS switch? Get MCG PRO.... and VKB base. ;)

Edited by Sokol1_br

MCG-TM has same button count of Warthog grip, you can't add more buttons, a 5 way switch in this place will require more 4 button that TmW circuit can't recognize.

MCG-_TM.jpg

In VKB base/controller the grip can have up to 128 buttons. :D

Want that CMS switch? Get MCG PRO.... and VKB base. ;)

Understood. It's just the CMS thumbs switch is a design win. What about fitting a MCG Pro on a BRD-N?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

64th "Scorpions" Aggressor Squadron

Discord: 64th Aggressor Squadron

TS: 195.201.110.22