Introducing the VKB-Sim ‘Modern Combat Grip’ (MCG)

rrohde

@Sokol1_br Well, nice write up and destruction of my dreams :) Good explanation, thx. I did not know that the vkb uses proprietory code and that the entire sensor/wire setup neede to be replaced. Anyway, i can't justify to spend that amount of money atm that it takes to get the gunfighter dryclutch version. You are looking at around 450$ for the overall pacakge. Maybe some other time then.

Which means...i better get cracking with the t.16000m 'Frankenstick' mod.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's been asked already but not answered

Can the Pro be used with the VKB FBM?

I was told the first iteration was planned with both the 3 and 5 pin versions, to make it compatible with the older VKB bases.

I'm wondering about these grips. VKB also sell the electronic board to convert the newer 3 pin protocol to the older 6 pin, but I don't know enough to know if

1) The board would fit inside the stick

2) If it would cause limitations on the axes & buttons available on the Pro stick

It's been asked already but not answered

Can the Pro be used with the VKB FBM?

I was told the first iteration was planned with both the 3 and 5 pin versions, to make it compatible with the older VKB bases.

I'm wondering about these grips. VKB also sell the electronic board to convert the newer 3 pin protocol to the older 6 pin, but I don't know enough to know if

1) The board would fit inside the stick

2) If it would cause limitations on the axes & buttons available on the Pro stick

From what I understand, there will be an adapter made to support the MCG on the Mamba Mk.III.

For other, more technical questions, I would recommend to post on the VKB Technical Support forum, as that's where the developers hang around: http://forum.vkb-sim.pro/viewforum.php?f=25

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

From what I understand, there will be an adapter made to support the MCG on the Mamba Mk.III.

For other, more technical questions, I would recommend to post on the VKB Technical Support forum, as that's where the developers hang around: http://forum.vkb-sim.pro/viewforum.php?f=25

I'll do that rrohde

Thanks for the swift response. I do hope that its at least the TM version as a minimum.

If I hear any news I'll post back up here

Addendum: I am sure that both the MCG and the MCG Pro will be supported for the Mamba Mk.III via adapter. :)

The buttons/axes functionality comes from the MCG profile and the VKBdevCfg software, the connectivity has to be adapted between the older Mamba base and the newer MCG connector.

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

Just got off Skype with VKB HQ, and the idea is to make an MCG/MCG Pro stand alone version that works with the Mamba Mk.II, Mk.III and the Glladiator Mk.I - without adapter. Will be called MCG MG / MCG Pro MG and will be a limited edition of sorts. I will start poking around for folks who would like to reserve one, probably sending out a news blast tomorrow for that.

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

I wish VKB Europe was as responsive as you rrohde...

And that's a good news there will be a MCG MG for the Mamba. Even for the vintage Mamba?

Thanks Sergeiev! :)

Since the Vintage Mamba shares the same gimbal as the Mamba Mk.III, it's a yes. :thumbup:

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

Please take my money! :D Any idea if the Optional external twist adapter will be included in the MCG/MCG Pro, or will that be sold separately? Is it going to be release the same time as the MCG/MCG Pro? This will definitely solve the missing twist axis on the Gladiator Mk.II Pro :)

It will be an optional item, sold separately from what I was told. Of course VKB HQ hopes to have it done at the same time the MCG ships - or shortly thereafter. :)

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

It will be an optional item, sold separately from what I was told. Of course VKB HQ hopes to have it done at the same time the MCG ships - or shortly thereafter. :)

Hi, do you have any idea about when will the MCG pro be available?

Hi, do you have any idea about when will the MCG pro be available?

Rough estimate is end of June 2017. But that can change. :)

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

:cry:What about compatibility for us cheapskates......(RHINO users)

.........oh and extensions?

0 chance, VKB consider that Saitek "quality" don't deserve attention. :D

EDIT - And - for a while at least, not even for CH grips that have good quality will be provide compatibility (I ask twice).

Edited by Sokol1_br

Yes Please! Added to wishlist..:joystick:

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Question for VKB: Is there any VKB programming software available? I'd like to be able to program macros to some of the buttons/hats.

CPU: i7 980x @ 4.2GHz RAM: 24gb Corsair Vengeance

MB: Gigabyte Sniper X58 w/onboard Soundblaster X-Fi

HD: SanDisk 480gb SSD OS: Win7 Pro 64bit

VIDEO CARD: EVGA GTX 980ti FTW

MONITOR: LG 34" Ultrawide 2560x1080

MP SERVER: ibuypower i7-4810MQ w/Win7 Home 64bit

GEAR: Saitek X-52 Pro; Combat Rudder Pedals; Throttle Quadrants. Thrustmaster MFD's, TrackIR 5 w/Pro Clip, Turtle Beach X-12 Headset

There will be a MCG Replica Edition at a later point that's made from metal. No ETA yet. :)

from vkb offical english forums.

metal edition comfired! :pilotfly::joystick::lol::lol::pilotfly::lol: :smartass: :pilotfly::joystick:

Edited by Drag0nWIng

Why this less flexible option if you can use micro-stick as buttons (and axis)?

My guess is because the optimal kinematics of a ministick and a 4-way are pretty much opposite. If using a ministick, you don't want any mechanical hindrances/influence to movement but with a 4-way it's best with distinct tactile reporting every time you press a button.

From a kinematic perspective, my assumption is it will either it be a good ministick or have good feel for the 4-way but I do not believe it can be great at both. My guess is it's a good minstick but as a 4-way will not feel as precise as using a mechanical switch assembly dedicated to that function.

Well, after this "click drama" talk I notice that in old Saitek Cyborg there HAT left "click" but not up, right or down and this don't make any difference in use, alias is noise less. :)

I don't believe that VKB will make 4 buttons versions of their new "tech HAT's". ;)

For a four way hat, I have no concerns. I've used the Steam controller set up with a stick or track pad mapped to a 4-way D-pad, and never felt the need for any tactile feedback in those situations. As long as I can set up the action zone to occur near the end of travel and avoid repeat presses, that's enough physical feedback for me.

My guess is because the optimal kinematics of a ministick and a 4-way are pretty much opposite. If using a ministick, you don't want any mechanical hindrances/influence to movement but with a 4-way it's best with distinct tactile reporting every time you press a button.

From a kinematic perspective, my assumption is it will either it be a good ministick or have good feel for the 4-way but I do not believe it can be great at both. My guess is it's a good minstick but as a 4-way will not feel as precise as using a mechanical switch assembly dedicated to that function.

That's also exactly what I'm thinking.

A 4-way hat just acts as push buttons with instant tactile feedback.

I would compare the usefulness of that feeling with the force sensing flight sticks and the short movement range that has been added due to pilots feedback for the F-16 (the Rafale control stick is also similar).

Instant tactile feedback let you know exactly when the input has been sent and when the command should occurs.

It's also probably easier to avoid pushing other directions/commands by mistake with a classic 4-way hat (under stressful conditions, altered mechanical response (aka post-parties syndrom ;)), improvised dumbness, etc.).

It also offers a differentiation with other commands, like a mini-stick with axes controls (slew/tdc).

That being said, we will probably adapt and use that emulated 4-way hat with ease but the feeling and responsiveness can only be different.

Imho it should be a reasonable comprise between functions and dedicated controls. It will allow more flexibility (e.g. space simulations).

That tech is also contactless (magnetoresistive), so those mini-sticks are extremely resilient and reliable - we'll destroy the plastic hats way before the sensors fail.

I can't wait for that MCG Pro!

Edited by Bourrinopathe

/// ВКБ: GF Pro MkII+MCG Pro/GF MkII+SCG L/Black Mamba MkIII/Gladiator/T-Rudder MkII | X-55 Rhino throttle/Saitek Throttle Quadrant | OpenTrack+UTC /// ZULU +4 ///

/// "THE T3ASE": i9 9900K | 64 GB DDR4 | RTX 2080ti OC | 2 TB NVMe SSDs, 1 TB SATA SSD, 12 TB HDDs | Gigabyte DESIGNARE mobo ///

from vkb offical english forums.

metal edition comfired! :pilotfly::joystick::lol::lol::pilotfly::lol: :smartass: :pilotfly::joystick:

Great news, the pro version with metal casing sounds like my next purchase then. (Should it be available in Europe at some point)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]