Introducing the VKB-Sim ‘Modern Combat Grip’ (MCG)

rrohde

Thanks for the response, can you tell me more about the adjustable damper and the soft center?

I'm looking to get multiple grips but only 1 base, but I want a versatile base that would be an all in one solution, that would be user friendly to quickly adjust depending on aircraft you are flying. A quick swapping feature would be ideal.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

how is it better for choppers? I'm looking to replace my TM Warthog base because of that stupid "sticking" problem... Like when you want to build up G smoothly, it is not smooth and jerks around.

But I also want something to use for helicopters (same base) where I could adjust it quickly to be ideal for helicopters and stick and rudder WW2 planes and jet fighters with FBW systems.

So far I have not found any such base that would allow "quick swap" of spring / cam settings and have swap-able grip. But maybe I am just not well informed of what is out there? I'm not that technically versed to know these things, i'm just an average end user.

The adjustable damper allows you to tune up the stick to your liking, with or without soft center, plus you can choose the degree of this softness.

Cams can be replaced easily - well, you still need to undo a few screws, but at least you don't need a sledgehammer to take the cam off, and a hydraulic press to put another one on. It takes a couple of minutes.

Our base works with different sticks, and our sticks can sit on different bases (adapter may be needed in some cases though).

Baz000, you can download at the instructions for the base adjustments at the bottom of the web page in the download section. It's also a good way to take a look at the VKB damper system for yourself.

Take a look at the VKB-Sim Gunfighter Base Only Page and scroll down (Gunfighter Quick Guide) or download from here.

I plan on setting up a good balance with the damper tension / cam for both choppers / ww2 to start with, so I can swap and not change settings when playing around. I normally stick to one aircraft for a while and try and get somewhat efficient, perhaps I will tweak the damper / cam when staying with the one aircraft for a while.

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

Nov.1, or very near date. Yes, still correct.

They all have pinky button.

Welcome! Hope you enjoy flying with it at least half as much as we enjoyed designing it.

Awesome, thank you for the help!

i7-4770K @3.50GHz; EVGA 1070 8GB Superclocked; 16GB Ram; MSI Z97 Gaming; two Samsung 500GB SSD's in RAID; TrackIR; 32" 2560x1440 Samsung

...am about to upgrade to the Warthog and I'd like to also purchase the correct extension and adapter kit from VKB, but not sure which one to get.

If your plan is buy a Warthog you don't need "extension and adapter kit from VKB" - as AeroGator say this is not done for use in Warthogs, but for use Warthog grip in VKB bases.

For Warthog buy Sahaj, MCG, VirPil extension - no adapter is need.

Also is the MCG superior to the Warthog for modern fighters as far as button/switch options?

The MCG grip that fit in your Warthog base is is MCG-Tm that don't offer more neither less buttons (or axis) - is the same number, just with a different layout, with more press buttons and less HAT's, and of course their "Russian look". ;)

With MCG PRO grip - that require a VKB base, you get more buttons/HAt's and axis on grip = more functionality than "F-16'ish" grip's. :joystick:

• Like 1

After sitting on the fence, I have pre-ordered the VKB-Sim Gunfighter Pro 'Modern Combat Edition' w/ MCG PRO Grip (3-pin Rev.B). I don't know how well it will integrate into my F-4 seat setup because of the differences in the range of motion and the stick extension offset. But if it really works and feels better than my Warthog stick with extension, then I will make it fit.

I don't really have any complaints about the Warthog stick right now, but I could use the analog brake axis for flying the MiG-21bis. I also like the idea of its cams/springs/dry clutch options so that I can tune the feel to suit my needs. Getting rid of the Warthog's clunky transition feel around the center as well as any last residual "sticktion" issues that were not completely overcome with the extension.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Integrated to grip. Compatible with Gunfighter, Gladiator Pro and Mamba bases.

If the R and D of the twist is like I heard It could be useful on other vkb devices.......

How is the block mechanism? it include electronic signal off as second block if the mechanism have some small movement?

Such a precise and compact axis can be fitted on many places

but imagine an adapter for single throttle handle (on the dual model, that's why the adapter) and a single handle could use a twist adapter.(collective for choppers?)

A base for rudders that use twist under it.

twist on the rudders cylinders to use as brakes

I know.......I think way out of the box, but cant help it, quality hardware and designers trigger my imagination.

Will the adapter let me use the MCG PRO on a TM base?

I really want the 4 way button+push where my thumb rests, but I also just want to add it to my TM Base.

This adapter don't make much sense because MCG PRO grip has more buttons than Warthog base support and more important MCG PRO grip has some axis and Warthog base support 0 (ZERO) axes beside X and Y already in use for aileron and elevator control.

So for have that "4 way button+push where my thumb rests" or you continue using Warthog grip in Warthog base, or buy MCG PRO grip + VKB base (of Gunfighter or Gladiator PRO). ;)

So for have that "4 way button+push where my thumb rests" or you continue using Warthog grip in Warthog base, or buy MCG PRO grip + VKB base (of Gunfighter or Gladiator PRO). ;)

Not clear for me in the latest pictures of MCG Pro: is the thumb rest button a single action button? I remember initially was said it will be 4 directions + push. Can anybody tell me how it will be in the final product?

You can find public pictures of final release here:

https://flightsimcontrols.com/2017/10/mcg-update-oct17/

Romanian Community for DCS World

HW Specs: AMD 7900X, 64GB RAM, RTX 4090, HOTAS Virpil, MFG, CLS-E, custom

This adapter don't make much sense because MCG PRO grip has more buttons than Warthog base support and more important MCG PRO grip has some axis and Warthog base support 0 (ZERO) axes beside X and Y already in use for aileron and elevator control.

I think it makes sense in that you could invest into an MCG Pro grip and then use it both in the TM base (with some of the functionality not working, like e.g. the 2nd trigger flip detection and some hats would only be 2 way and you could put the optional thumb button then instead of the hat) and the VKB base and enjoy full functionality.

The way it is now, you have to pay the price of an MCG Pro to get a regular MCG which works on the TM base (including the extra VKB PCB that allows it to work on the VKB base as well).

Thus if later you get the VKB base as well , you have to get another MCG Pro grip to enjoy the cool features like the detectable flipping of the second trigger, etc). I know it's somewhat complicated, but I'd much rather rather invest in the MCG Pro grip with a TM adapter and then keep in mind which of the functionality is not working when connected to the TM base (e.g index finger hat is only two way, etc.).

Edited by Dudikoff

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

The possibility to upgrade MCG-TM to MCG PRO mentioned in the other topic (linked), don't cover this need?

Yeah, you're right, sorry. I thought it's upgraded to the plain MCG, not Pro as the MCG-TM was shown with less buttons (e.g. the index finger hat was two-way unlike the 4-way on the MCG-Pro).

@Aerogator: Can you please confirm that the MCG-TM can be upgraded to MCG-Pro (rather than the plain MCG), by the PCB upgrade?

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

Not clear for me in the latest pictures of MCG Pro: is the thumb rest button a single action button? I remember initially was said it will be 4 directions + push. Can anybody tell me how it will be in the final product?

You can find public pictures of final release here:

https://flightsimcontrols.com/2017/10/mcg-update-oct17/

Note that they don't mention PRO anywhere. It's because the pictures are of a standard MCG (base model, non-PRO).

Comparison chart.

EDIT: Just noticed there was a post with a picture of a PRO. You can see the thumb button is clearly different:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3261845&postcount=523

Edited by nosebruise

EDIT: Just noticed there was a post with a picture of a PRO. You can see the thumb button is clearly different:

The VKB NA page states that this both options are there with the MCG Pro: User-swappable thumb button on grip (either simple push button, or 4-way switch with push)

https://vkbcontrollers.com/?product=vkb-sim-mcg-pro

Although, the same photo is used for all the grips now (showing the hat rather than the single button). I presume the final MCG / MCG TM grip prototypes are not produced yet?

Edited by Dudikoff

MCG-TM can be upgraded to MCG-Pro (rather than the plain MCG), by the PCB upgrade?

We're preparing something that at this stage goes under provisional name Extended Compatibility Kit which will allow pretty easy switching between TM versions and VKB versions.

MCG TM will also be able to magically turn into an MCG Pro.

NOTE!!! - we're talking about compatibility, not upgrade. It will NOT allow turning a regular MCG into an MCG Pro.

>

Best Regards from VKB Lair,

AeroGator

We're preparing something that at this stage goes under provisional name Extended Compatibility Kit which will allow pretty easy switching between TM versions and VKB versions.

MCG TM will also be able to magically turn into an MCG Pro.

Thanks for confirming this, really looking forward to see more on this kit when it's ready.