Introducing the VKB-Sim ‘Modern Combat Grip’ (MCG)

rrohde

Could this be an over-dialled in friction setting?

No I loosened both those up first thing, it moves very easily and freely.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No I loosened both those up first thing, it moves very easily and freely.

Other things to try:

(1) make sure screw fastening the top are not screwed in all the way; in ver I, if you do this on one particular screw, in contacts and engages wit the friction mechanism. You can get alternate (shorter) screws that avoid this and this is what ships with later units

(2) there is no reason (I think) for this behavior for any spring/cam combo, but just to pin down the problem maybe try a different set of springs? stronger?

Other things to try:

(1) make sure screw fastening the top are not screwed in all the way; in ver I, if you do this on one particular screw, in contacts and engages wit the friction mechanism. You can get alternate (shorter) screws that avoid this and this is what ships with later units

(2) there is no reason (I think) for this behavior for any spring/cam combo, but just to pin down the problem maybe try a different set of springs? stronger?

Yeah I remembered that about the front screws when I was putting it back together and made sure I did not snug them down. Just backed them out even further and no change.

Don't think there are any stronger springs than the 50? I guess I could change them out for another pair of the #50, man they are a pain to get on though.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Yeah I remembered that about the front screws when I was putting it back together and made sure I did not snug them down. Just backed them out even further and no change.

Don't think there are any stronger springs than the 50? I guess I could change them out for another pair of the #50, man they are a pain to get on though.

You can use multiple springs (2). It really is doubtful this is the issue, though. But worth experimenting with (and try a weaker spring as well). Also, of course. recalibrate each time. PIA, I know ...

For changing springs --- use the zip tie trick. Use a zip tie loop slipped over the spring end to pull the spring into place, then either cut or slip out the zip tie. Makes it really easy.

You can use multiple springs (2). It really is doubtful this is the issue, though. But worth experimenting with (and try a weaker spring as well). Also, of course. recalibrate each time. PIA, I know ...

For changing springs --- use the zip tie trick. Use a zip tie loop slipped over the spring end to pull the spring into place, then either cut or slip out the zip tie. Makes it really easy.

OK thanks much for the tip and all the help, I will have to pick up some zip ties pretty sure I don't have any around. Which is fine as I really need a break from this thing at this point, between finishing up the exentension install and getting the new Monster Tech Mount ready with the Gunfighter plate and setting this all up I think my brain is fried at this point and I need a little break. I have been working with this thing pretty much all day.

Maybe I can give it a try tomorrow afternoon , if not early next week. I do know there is no way I can use it as it is now.

Thanks again for the assistance!

Don B

I guess it is possible I damaged those #50 springs trying to get them on, was using needle nose pliers. I know the first spring I put on was obviously damaged as I could see where it was stretched, so I took it off and put another one on in it's place. They appeared ok to me but still maybe they were damaged and was not noticeable.

Thankfully with the extension kit I got 8 of the #50 springs so still have 5 left. Will find out when I get those zip ties and give it another try.

Don B

Well here she is, all set up and ready to go. Hopefully doing another spring swap will get things as they should be. Dreading having to take her apart again.

Hopefully that will pay off and I can get to flying this beauty.

Gunfighter Pro Mk I with MCG Pro Grip on Monster Tech Extended Desk Mount.

179322312_GunfighterPro.thumb.jpg.5bc64cb7c67d94a0ae7fcccad87e597f.jpg

Edited by dburne

Don B

what about changing the cams? I believe there is a set that has a more pronounced "center" Didn't change mine out but there is a little challenge trimming out to neutral with the factory installed ones especially in pitch, at least with my setup.

System:Motherboard Asus ROG Strix Z390-E,Asus ROG GeForce RTX 2080Ti OC, GPU, 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 Ram, Intel i9 9900K @ 5 GHz , cooled by NZXT Kraken X52, Acer XB270HU G-Sinc monitor, Windows 10 Pro, Warthog joystick and throttle with wasy extension, VBK Gunfighter Pro and MCG Pro,MFG Rudder, running on a dedicated 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M2 Nvme , Super Wheel Stand Pro, with a HP Reverb G2

what about changing the cams? I believe there is a set that has a more pronounced "center" Didn't change mine out but there is a little challenge trimming out to neutral with the factory installed ones especially in pitch, at least with my setup.

Yeah I guess maybe that might be helpful, but really I like the feel of it as it is - just without all the slop in the middle would be great. It truly is unflyable as it is. Without the slop I think it would have a somewhat pronounced center feel to it - like a soft center, will see I guess.

I was not sure which cams offer which feel, will keep in mind though thanks. I may end up taking this thing back apart and putting back together a few times before I am done tinkering lol.

So anyway a question for you VKB users - do you unplug your stick when shutting down for the evening? I typically leave my sticks plugged into the USB ports all the time , with the VKB and it's black box there are led lights lit up of course, was not sure if it might be a good idea to unplug it at the end of the day considering those lights? Or does it really matter?

Edit: I guess maybe it does not matter, just noticed my powered USB Hub has a few of those led lights - ironically the same colors as the VKB Black Box, green and blue. And that hub has been powered on for several years now.

How about that, I ended up with color coordinated lighting lol.

Edited by dburne

Don B

I use a super wheelstand pro setup that I plug in every time I use it (daily). :music_whistling:

System:Motherboard Asus ROG Strix Z390-E,Asus ROG GeForce RTX 2080Ti OC, GPU, 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 Ram, Intel i9 9900K @ 5 GHz , cooled by NZXT Kraken X52, Acer XB270HU G-Sinc monitor, Windows 10 Pro, Warthog joystick and throttle with wasy extension, VBK Gunfighter Pro and MCG Pro,MFG Rudder, running on a dedicated 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M2 Nvme , Super Wheel Stand Pro, with a HP Reverb G2

:thumbup:

Ok so it was the springs!

Picked up some zip ties - thank you so much Bearfoot for this tip, worked a treat! Way easier to do it this way. Got the damaged springs out and replaced with two more new #50 springs. Sure am glad VKB sent extras of those. Also put a little dab of grease on the hooks of the springs to hopefully help wear on them ( tip from rrhode).

I am getting good at this lol, had it off the Monster Tech mount, gimbal apart - springs replaced, back together and back on mount. Recalibrated and gave it a quick spin, all within about an hour.

Now the stick returns to center properly every time, so much nicer.

It is indeed a very smooth stick, took the Spit for a spin over Normandy, take off was nice and smooth and even landing was very smooth and able to come to a stop without cartwheeling it.

MCG Pro grip is working nicely without any issues. Just wish that darn pinky button was more centered facing the front, I want to use it as a press and hold modifier button but is somewhat cumbersome with it positioned where it is and still be able to press other buttons whilst holding it in with my pinky. Can't say I have seen any ghost button presses as of yet, but am using the software dated July 7th so don't know if that addressed that or I just have not run across yet. But this MCG Pro grip is certainly very nice indeed.

All in all am very pleased now. Need some more stick time with it, running the #50 springs with the installed #10 cams, it almost feels like a no center feel. Very soft around center. Don't know if adjusted the friction plates ( have them fully loosened up), or adding say a #30 spring to each axis with the #50 might help. Or maybe a cam swap for the #30 cams. I really don't want a very hard center feel, but would not mind a little more pronounced center feel over what I currently have.

Edited by dburne

Don B

When I was running the Gladiator Pro for a while, I found it was so sensitive having my hand resting on the stick always caused input, si I applied a very tiny deadzone of like 1-2 to cancel out unintentional input.

For the centering, the cam creates a soft 'lip' but tightening the friction will require slightly more force to start moving it, this will apply across the full range though, not just the center.

In other news, my 8'' VKB extension arrived. That is a chunk of metal boyos :p

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

When I was running the Gladiator Pro for a while, I found it was so sensitive having my hand resting on the stick always caused input, si I applied a very tiny deadzone of like 1-2 to cancel out unintentional input.

For the centering, the cam creates a soft 'lip' but tightening the friction will require slightly more force to start moving it, this will apply across the full range though, not just the center.

In other news, my 8'' VKB extension arrived. That is a chunk of metal boyos :p

Yeah I put a deadzone of 3 in there.

I am getting more used to it now. It is a very nice setup for sure, especially with that extension.

Don B

I'd like to order a left and right hand version of the MCG for my FSSB R3's with Thrustmaster connection.

Is this version still coming out?

GPU: RTX 4090 - 3,000 MHz core / 12,000 MHz VRAM. 

CPU: 7950X3d - 5.2 GHz X3d, 5.8 GHz secondary / MB: ASUS Crosshair X670E Gene / RAM: G.Skill 48GB 6400 MHz

SSD: Intel Optane P5800X - 800GB

VR: Pimax Crystal

CONTROLS: VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Base / VPC Constellation ALPHA Prime Grip / VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle / TM Pendular Rudders

left hand MCG

Nope, the MCG design and ergonomics are all about modern air warfare, using it for spaceships would not be ideal. For the left hand there is a Kosmosima grip coming reasonably soon, which will be compatible with all currently produced VKB bases.

>

Best Regards from VKB Lair,

AeroGator

Nope, the MCG design and ergonomics are all about modern air warfare, using it for spaceships would not be ideal. For the left hand there is a Kosmosima grip coming reasonably soon, which will be compatible with all currently produced VKB bases.

Doh, no Warthog base compatability for the Kosmosima? I have force sensing FSSB R3 bases (as you know Thrustmaster connection) and looking for left and right sticks for them for space sims.

CPU: 7950X3d - 5.2 GHz X3d, 5.8 GHz secondary / MB: ASUS Crosshair X670E Gene / RAM: G.Skill 48GB 6400 MHz

CONTROLS: VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Base / VPC Constellation ALPHA Prime Grip / VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle / TM Pendular Rudders

WH bases are (sorry!) severely limited in comparison to Gunfighter bases.

Putting a Kosmosima grip onto a WH base is a waste of a grip, simple and plain.

WH bases doesn't support axes, and the number of buttons it supports won't allow you to utilize all Kosmosima functions, too. Forget LED indication: WH has no support for it, either.

Question is then, why bother creating a grip as rich in functions as an MCG or a Kosmosima, if it is going to be mounted on such a base.

WH grip is a great piece of gear, no argument here, but bases?..

>

Best Regards from VKB Lair,

AeroGator

WH bases are (sorry!) severely limited in comparison to Gunfighter bases.

Putting a Kosmosima grip onto a WH base is a waste of a grip, simple and plain.

WH bases doesn't support axes, and the number of buttons it supports won't allow you to utilize all Kosmosima functions, too. Forget LED indication: WH has no support for it, either.

Question is then, why bother creating a grip as rich in functions as an MCG or a Kosmosima, if it is going to be mounted on such a base.

WH grip is a great piece of gear, no argument here, but bases?..

Ya I understand. It's just I prefer force sensing versus moving controls, so I guess I'll be limited to the F-16 grip or T-50.

This is such a nice desire!

Where are you, US or EU?

Me too but I'm in US so I ended up ordering something else for now. But I do have a feeling once I see the tabletop bundle, base + mcg pro available on the US site, I will order one of them too.

I'm going to miss not having a CMS 4 way switch for now which is why I want the mcg pro grip but I'm happy I will no longer have to use this sticky warthog gimbal.

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

-edit

I just loosened the grip attachment and the light turned green. Apparently it wasn't making good connection.

Edited by zhukov032186

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

• 1 month later...