How to place emergency (ARCH-UD) beacons

CzarPeppers

I've been trying to figure this out for awhile now, but Google searches and a search on these forums hasn't brought anything concrete up.

The MI-8 has the ARCH-UD nav radio for tracking emergency beacons, and the ARCH-UD has 6 preset channels that it can hone in on via VHF, along with one channel on UHF. I was wondering how to set one of these beacons up in a mission.

For example, a pilot goes down in the mountains and activates his emergency beacon and it is my mission to find him using the ARCH-UD radio nav unit.

I think that these are the frequencies for those six channels...

CH1: 114.167

CH2: 114.333

CH3: 114.584

CH4: 121.500

CH5: 123:100

CH6: 124.100

UHF CHANNEL: 243.0

I could be wrong though, the source I found wasn't exactly clear on that.

I have tried to set up a scenario like this using the 'set frequency' under 'perform command' in the advanced way point settings for a unit, and I've tried both AM and FM. However when I try to set up the ARCH-UD in the helicopter it doesn't pick up on the signal. I'm 90% sure it isn't me not knowing how to operate the ARCH-UD as I've gone over how to use it God only knows how many times now.

But just in case I'll go over everything I do to use it.

-I turn the ARCH-UD unit on (I've tried all the different settings on there; narrow, wide, pulse etc.)

-I make sure the band selector is on 'MW' on the ARCH-UD panel (for the VHF frequencies)

-Select the correct channel using the frequencies aforementioned as reference.

-If I want to listen to the ARCH-UD broadcast I select 'ARCH-UD' on the radio selection panel (although I don't think this is necessary for setting it up for navigation.

-Then i selected 'VHF' instead of 'MW' on the left seat dash. (I have also tried having it on 'MW'

There is also the 'transmit message' command under the advanced way point settings, but this doesn't give any kind of options for frequency for channels so I don't think that would be it.

So at this point I'm stumped, so any help you can provide would be much appreciated.

There is also the 'transmit message' command under the advanced way point settings, but this doesn't give any kind of options for frequency for channels so I don't think that would be it. ...

The unit will transmit on the frequeny assigned to it. If the unit doesn't have the active frequency property in the mission editor, the frequency can be set using the advanced waypoint actions (IIRC perform command, set frequency).

The other thing is even if you set a text for the message you still need to attach a sound file - transmit messate will not work otherwise! The sound file doesn't have to actually include any audio - it can be just a one second muted recording.

F/A-18, F-16, F-14, M-2000C, A-10C, AV-8B, AJS-37 Viggen, F-5E-3, F-86F, MiG-21bis, MiG-15bis, L-39 Albatros, C-101 Aviojet, P-51D, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Bf 109 4-K, UH-1H, Mi-8, Ka-50, NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf... and not enough time to fully enjoy it all

The unit will transmit on the frequeny assigned to it. If the unit doesn't have the active frequency property in the mission editor, the frequency can be set using the advanced waypoint actions (IIRC perform command, set frequency).

The other thing is even if you set a text for the message you still need to attach a sound file - transmit messate will not work otherwise! The sound file doesn't have to actually include any audio - it can be just a one second muted recording.

Alright, thank you. I will give it a shot.