Best Way to Show-Off/Show-Case DCS VR to Someone Who Does NOT Fly?

Gnat

So getting my OR soon! Yaaaaay!

I would like to showcase/wow my spouse/kids with the experience, but they don't fly. Any suggestions on how it can be done?

I guess I could strap them in in an "easy" a/c to fly, e.g., A-10C or something similar, teach them the basics of pitch/roll with the stick and have them start at a high enough altitude that they cannot crash easily.

But from what I've read the wow factor comes from, e.g., flying low and fast through Vegas or hill terrain, maybe in a helo such as the Gazelle or an a/c such as the Spit, which would be beyond their skills.

So, how to maximize the wow factor and let them see it?

I was thinking of some convoluted arrangement where they wear the headset and I fly in a second seat using the monitor, but don't know if that will work in terms of room.

Alternatively, would it be possible for me to fly a while, and record/save the track, and then have them wear the VR doing the replay?

Any ideas?

If track recording were reliable, that would be your answer.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Yeah, record a track. When replaying, F2 the view and F1 again ...and then your subject can enjoy the ride as a passenger without conflicting head movements.

DCS tracks do get corrupted, which can be disappointing/annoying. So, prepare a couple and keep them fresh when expecting passengers.

Ha, my old mum got frightened as ground level loomed and had to 'eject' the Rift from her head! It's a real laugh watching folks.

Let them sit and watch in VR while you sit next to them and fly using the monitor. I've done that before.

Or hold your hand over their hand and fly for them.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Your first idea is the way to go. Let them fly the A-10C. My friend, who's notoriously bad at driving,flying, or controlling anything in a video game environment was able to handle the A-10. I did spend some time explaining that subtle inputs where all that was needed and took off and flew around a bit to show how it's done.

I wouldnt show them DCS at all if they dont fly,it will probably make them sick and turn them off to VR. I would stick with some mild stuff from Oculus Home first.

Intel i7 6700k OC 4.7ghz

Asus ROG Maximus VIII Hero Motherboard

Zotac GTX980ti 6GB Amp Extreme

32 GB DDR4 3200 RAM

Oculus Rift CV1

Thrustmaster Warthog

Just air start, and give them control. Choose something easy, something with Fly by Wire.

I use the F-15 for showcasing.

My sister was flying - no gaming experience what so ever, and had a blast.

Also had my 71 year old mom have a go at it, but that was on autopilot, and she'd just be looking around, and she loved it :)

- Jack of many DCS modules, master of none.

- Personal wishlist: F-15A, F-4S Phantom II, JAS 39A Gripen, SAAB 35 Draken, F-104 Starfighter, Panavia Tornado IDS.

| Windows 11 | i5-12400 | 64Gb DDR4 | RTX 3080 | 2x M.2 | 27" 1440p | Rift CV1 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind pedals |

I'm gonna show my dad when he visits so am thinking the same. Not gonna cut corners just gonna try and teach him the fundamentals of flying the shark, it's not really a difficult module.

When you have someone with you as an instructor it shouldn't take long, and learning is all part of the fun, and really brings home how authentic and amazing DCS really is. He always scoffs at the idea that my flight simming on DCS is anything but playing a computer game, so I kinda want to throw him in at the deep end, to make him realize what this 'game' is actually all about!

Annoying thing is that people are just lazy, but I found when showing a friend who would never even try flight sims and DCS, that VR was a game changer, and he did admit that if he had VR himself he would he would defiantly be playing it.

------------

3080Ti, i5- 13600k 32GB  VIVE index, VKB peddals, HOTAS VPC MONGOOSE, WARTHOG throttle, BKicker,

When I got mine I put the demo on from the oculus library tab within the software that installs during setup. That was enough to wow them, particularly the city view from the top of the sky scrapper. Then later I set the spitfire up in free flight, set the throttle for cruise and paused it. Put them in the pit, numpad 5 to centre view, took off pause. Let them use joystick but gently move it yourself to keep it airborne. All 3 girls in my house wowed.

ASUS Maximus X Hero; i7-8700K OC'd @ 5 Ghz; Zotac GeForce GTX 1080 AMP Extreme 8GB; 32GB G.Skill Trident Z DDR4 3200Mhz RAM; 500GB Samsung EVO 960 SSD; Warthog HOTAS; Saitek Pro Flight Rudder pedals; HP Reverb VR; Realtus Forcefeel Game Pad running on SimShaker for Aviators software. :thumbup:

I can't remember which version of dcs this occurred on, but I made a quick track of a hawk flying in the Georgia area and when I played it back it followed my takeoff rather well but eventually it took a much lower path than I had flown and eventually I killed my poor sister somewhere in the mountains! Oops :p I'm sure most of us recall our terrifying first experience with crashing into the ground in VR

I think if you play a replay when you are wearing the rift, it records all the head movements you made first time round, so the 'camera' in the replay moves quickly in random directions in cockpit view = instant barf. If you put on takeoff/rudder assistance I'm sure you could talk a beginner through getting most of the planes off the ground and well up in the air. Helicopters would be a bit tricky for a beginner, but I got my wife up in the air in the rift fairly easily, and she's no simmer.

i7-7700K/Gigabyte RTX2080/Win10 64bit/32Gb RAM/Asus Xonar DX+Sennheiser HD380pro headphones/LG 34" UM65 @2560x1080/TM Warthog+VKB MkIV Rudder pedals/Rift CV1