A-10 Model

SuperKungFu

I asked Krazyscotsman from the project phoenix forum, and he was kind enough to release his A-10 in .3ds format for us to work on.

Here is the A-10 in 3ds format. I don't have the time at the moment to lower the polies. If you want to work on it, feel free. I should have some time to work at it in a few more days... hopefully.

http://www.phoenixosfs.org/scotsman/A10/a10mesh.3DS

Based on what he said, the model is finished (edit: but it has a lot of poly), it just needs to have animation, damage model, and/or reduce poly. So please guys, if anyone that knows how to model please bring this beautiful hog into the game. All the thanks goes towards krazyscotsman and the project phoenix team, I'm just the messenger who asked. :smilewink:

Here's some shots of the A-10

a10_thunder01-1.jpg

a10_thunder04.jpg

a10_thunder03.jpg

a10_thunder02.jpg

if anyone plans to model it, it would be sweet to see the engine turbines spinning or the gun to spin when fired.

After this gets successfully implemented into the game, we will have walmis F-15, Strike's future Su-27/MiG-21, and apparently ED is also working on a few new models like the Su-25, MiG-29...etc. We will have new models for most/all the flyables in the future, sweet...HAPPY THANKGIVING EVERYONE. Hope you have a good one.

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well, unfortunately you cant make the turbines spinning for human player. Asked chizh about em, and he said that only AI plaes can have spinning anims.

Tried to make them for the f-15, but they didnt turn out right. Think im gonna give up on them until someone finds a solution. And i dont think that you can make gun animation.

EDIT: just took a look a the model, and like WOW, my f-15 looks cheap compared to this, and correction: it has 114685 Polys ;)

So its poly count will have to be cut in half sounds like a lot of work

How hard is it to augment I don't even want to know how much work a damage model is:cry:

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/a-10c-warthog-supplies

https://forum.dcs.world/topic/133818-deadmans-cockpit-base-plans/#comment-133824

CNCs and Laser engravers are great but they can't do squat with out a precise set of plans.

Well I'll just be happy if we can get the model into the game, as for the spinning turbines have you tried Vekkinho's way?

For all of you who want spinning turbine blades there might be a simple solution (easy fix). If it's totally impossible to add rotating blades to 3D model, if there's no such argument that controls turbine animation when engines are started or running we might edit current turbine textures.

Adding rotational motion blur with PS to those turbines (exhaust and intake) might trick the eye. Of course, they'll seem like spinning all the time but after all, most of the time you guys take a external look at your bird you're either flying, taxing or holding short, awaiting TO clearance from ATC. So most of the time you spend with Eagle you'll have running engines.

This is justa suggestion, we should all try hard on making real spining turbos (there should be an argument toggling those animations on/off) but it also might be 'Detailed AFM' related (like Frogfoot). So if it's iimpossible to animate we can always reach for motion blur texture!

and correction: it has 114685 Polys

lol damn i didn't realize it was that high, i think that would be the major problem with this model. Lowering the poly count would also take a long time. Yea when he built this model, it was one of his first so they didn't exactly set a standard yet. This was the same with his Su-27 model which you can also download in the thread called project phoenix on this forum. btw walmis how many poly is your F-15?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Well I'll just be happy if we can get the model into the game, as for the spinning turbines have you tried Vekkinho's way?

lol damn i didn't realize it was that high, i think that would be the major problem with this model. Lowering the poly count would also take a long time. Yea when he built this model, it was one of his first so they didn't exactly set a standard yet. This was the same with his Su-27 model which you can also download in the thread called project phoenix on this forum. btw walmis how many poly is your F-15?

Total 33k

Ingame about 22k when no gears deployed.

well, unfortunately you cant make the turbines spinning for human player. Asked chizh about em, and he said that only AI plaes can have spinning anims.

Tried to make them for the f-15, but they didnt turn out right. Think im gonna give up on them until someone finds a solution.

Thats odd... the Su-25T has spinning turbines... But yeah, skip them, most of us wont bother zooming in that much. :D

Just do the intake ducts and paint the turbines in a flat circle.

[sigpic]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic4448_29.gif[/sigpic]

My PC specs below:

Case: Corsair 400C

PSU: SEASONIC SS-760XP2 760W Platinum

CPU: AMD RYZEN 3900X (12C/24T)

RAM: 32 GB 4266Mhz (two 2x8 kits) of trident Z RGB @3600Mhz CL 14 CR=1T

MOBO: ASUS CROSSHAIR HERO VI AM4

GFX: GTX 1080Ti MSI Gaming X

Cooler: NXZT Kraken X62 280mm AIO

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1TB M.2+6GB WD 6Gb red

HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog + CH pro pedals

Monitor: Gigabyte AORUS AD27QD Freesync HDR400 1440P

Ok, the bottom one is a reduced mesh, 57k all the way down from 118(top one).

I believe it did not loose much quality. So if any one is willing and have the time to adapt it to the game I can try to clean up the bottom one and maybe further reduce it.

Pls let me know.

Image-0028.png

Image-0029.png

sig3small320x1503vh3.jpg

I have the Time but I don't have 3D max 7 any Idea where I could pick up a copy looked on ebay but nothing any tutorials out there?

https://forum.dcs.world/topic/133818-deadmans-cockpit-base-plans/#comment-133824

CNCs and Laser engravers are great but they can't do squat with out a precise set of plans.

o wow strike, the reduced poly looks exactly the same as the high poly. Great job, it didn't loose its shape at all. I know you and walmis both have their hands full on projects, so I'm not going to ask from you guys. Maybe someone from the lockonmodel site could help like Knell or Lo-fi.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I believe it did not loose much quality. So if any one is willing and have the time to adapt it to the game I can try to clean up the bottom one and maybe further reduce it.

Pls let me know.

i just talked with like lo-fi over at lockonmodels, and it seems like he's interested. So to strike, when you find the time to lower the poly, please let us know so we can patch the word over to lo-fi. Man this sims keeps getting better and better.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

oooh man!! The bird with which I fly the most in lomac...the A10...finally! :D wow.

WHISPR | Intel I7 5930K | Nvidia GTX980 4GB GDDR5 | 16GB DDR4 | Intel 730 series 512GB SSD | Thrustmaster WARTHOG | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR4 pro |

|A-10C|BS2 |CA|P-51 MUSTANG|UH-1H HUEY|MI-8 MTV2 |FC3|F5E|M2000C|AJS-37|FW190|BF 109K|Mig21|A-10:SSC,EWC|L-39|NEVADA|

i just talked with like lo-fi over at lockonmodels, and it seems like he's interested. So to strike, when you find the time to lower the poly, please let us know so we can patch the word over to lo-fi. Man this sims keeps getting better and better.

Yep, I'm in.

Strike - looks great. I had a fiddle around with the hardpoints last night - They had far too many polys for my tastes at about 1200 each!! Some of the detail was clearly made by boolean, and has messed up the mesh in places as well. After I fixed that and cleaned one of them up I can get it down to an easy 800 without losing any shaping or detail. I think it could be reduced a lot further if some of the smaller detail was done in mapping, but it depends what we're aiming for.

What have you done so far? I was just playing around, so if I've duplicated some work it doesn't matter. It just helped me learn how it was put together. Any chance you can send me mesh you've worked on? If you're finshed with the control surfaces I can start some animating.

The flaps cause me some concern - I don't think the meshes for the internal gubbins need to be quite that detailed, and I need a good look at the real ones working to make a really good job of animating it. Other than that it looks pretty straitforward.

Ok, Pm'd you my address. I've definately got time free over the weekend :joystick: , so expect to see some results.

To keep everyone up to date I've done some playing with the split ailerons which form the airbrakes. It looks like Lock On respects object attachments and motion inheritance, so these parts can be modeled to work in a realistic way. It will look sweet :)

Well there are three Euoropen patterns but basicly the same and a Jaws pattern should be no problem Mitch J has all ready done a great on over a Lock on files