Is there a MOD that enables "Impostors" in 1.5.6?

OnlyforDCS

Like the title says, is there a mod out there that will allow me to enable impostors as they were previously modelled in DCS?

Thank you.

*edit*

I am now looking for any Visibility mod, (including labels mod) that will help me in the single player portion of the game anyway.

Edited by OnlyforDCS
Looking for any visibility mod

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

Are they gone? What happened?

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Are they gone? What happened?

Yes, they don't work in 1.5.6 anymore. Not sure which version finally disabled them as I was away from the sim for a long time, but the options (none, small, med, large) in the DCS settings screen don't work and don't change anything.

I assume someone managed go "mod" them back in. I would like to use them for single player practice and testing.

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

Yes, they don't work in 1.5.6 anymore. Not sure which version finally disabled them as I was away from the sim for a long time, but the options (none, small, med, large) in the DCS settings screen don't work and don't change anything.

I assume someone managed go "mod" them back in. I would like to use them for single player practice and testing.

It was 1.5.5 or 1.5.4 which was quite frustrating. I know some of the servers are using some sort of server side label mod. I'll try and find it for you.

• Like 1

The imposter system was scrapped for the current system which IMO is much better, instead of seeing a building sized F-15 it always shows at least one pixel.

It is so much better than the old system.

No its not. Its horrible, as I don't see anything currently. Or when I do see a dot, when it comes closer it dissapears completely when it loads the low LOD model.

For my WWII modules I only play on Burning Skies, because of the Labels MOD they use. And it's only marginally better. I have to ZOOM out FOV to see a BIGGER dot, which is completely and utterly wrong.

One other thing to consider, there are a lot of us out there with inferior monitors or vision problems. I myself wear glasses. I would still like to enjoy my hobby without enabling labels, which feel too much like a cheat.

The only reason ED gets a pass on this is becauase they have not yet made the 2.5 merge. When 2.5 comes around they will have no more excuses to not solve this HUGE issue in DCS.

No other SIM out there (and there are a few) has this problem, they have solved the LOD scaling issue without any complaint. I won't go into names because it's not allowed by forum rules, but If I hadn't invested so much money into DCS, I would probably be long gone for this reason alone.

So I'll repeat again, is there someone who has done some digging on how to enable the impostor settings (or any other visibility mod for that matter) with a MOD so I can practice BFM and WVR combat against the AI?

Edited by OnlyforDCS

In the new system you can see aircraft, smoke, and missiles in the distance. In the old versions you could only sometimes see aircraft. Give it a good chance I have found the new imposter system to be vastly superior

The issue is that the aircraft that need this are the WWIi and early jets that don't have BVR capabilities. Ie no radar and they don't leave visible exhaust trails or fire missiles that you would see. As for seeing the aircraft itself the early jets are almost invisible until within a couple of miles on my 4k monitor which means I need to fly in 1080p to have a chance. The problem is particularly bad flying the Sabre, it is the exception and leaves a significant smoke trails that makes it easy to track and fires missiles that give it away.

Inexplicably it is also far easier to see than the Mig-15 despite it being only a couple of feet longer and grater wingspan of two feet. I flew the Mig-15 last night just to see the difference and I could fly in 4k and fight fine against it. I may need to switch sides until this gets fixed just so I can enjoy the 4k I've invested in hardware to see.

• 1 month later...