Need som help, please! how to???

Dear MI-8 fans!

First of all, a huge thank You to Belsimtek for this excellent helicopter!!!

But since I am new to this, I need some help...

First, is there a way to "remove" the VRS? som that the rattle and shaking goes away when I am learnig to master this beauty. So she acts more steady an stable? Any tips on setting for a newbie like me???

Two, how do I remove the exhaust covers? cant find it in the manual...

So please help me out here, that would be great!

Best regards

Per S.

You can remove the VRS by making sure you don't have a lot of downward vertical velocity when the rattling stops (when you are below the translational lift speed). The rattling and shaking is normal and happens when you cross over from slow, ground effect to faster translational lift or back.

Not sure what you mean by exhaust covers. This is not needed to learn to fly.

Regarding the VRS - I know it can be a pain, but I find the Mi-8 the easiest of the DCS helicopters to recover with.

I just lower the collective, dip the nose a little into a shallow dive and increase the collective gently again - has never failed me and now it doesn't bother me any more, but has just become an automatic reaction.

Kneeboard Guides

Rig: Asus B650-GAMING PLUS; Ryzen 7800X3D ; 64GB DDR5 5600; RTX 4080; VPC T50 CM2 HOTAS; SN-1 Pedals; VR = Pico 4 over VD Wireless + Index; Point Control v2

Yes, they can be removed by deselecting the checkbox in the mission editor prior to starting the mission.

With regards to VRS, before you enter VRS you can get translational lift buffeting. You can use this buffeting as a pre-warning to increase collective considerably because time is short when you need that amount of power in the rotor blades.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Commodore 64 | MOS6510 | VIC-II | SID6581 | DD 1541 | KCS Power Cartridge | 64Kb | 32Kb external | Arcade Turbo

Thank You so much guys!

I have to practice som more I guess..., But Looney, is there not a way to remove those IR supressers if i select "free flight" or "create a mission"?

Thoght also there were some "backdoor" for the VRS, (I mean in some cfg/lua or ini, or what ever the name is) to sort of "remove" that effect...

but I guess there is not...

Best regards

and Thanks again!

Per

Well, after hitting "Create a Mission" and then using "Advanced" option, You can hit "Edit", which takes You to full mission editor anyway. Click on Your helicopter there and in properties on the right You can enable/disable all things You want: IR supressors, weapon harpoints, armour, clamshell doors etc.

There's no way to easily disable those parts in default instant missions (like "free flight" one), but You can edit them in the full editor too.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

You can't remove the VRS, it's part of the flight model. Keep practicing and you'll learn to recognise VRS before it happens.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Commodore 64 | MOS6510 | VIC-II | SID6581 | DD 1541 | KCS Power Cartridge | 64Kb | 32Kb external | Arcade Turbo

I could only add that the fact that Mi-8 is shaking a lot should be actually appreciated as it makes easy to recognize that you're in danger of VRS. Basically with Mi-8 you get a really early and noticable warning with a magnitude that as far as I can tell you don't get from Huey or Ka-50 (don't know about Gazelle).

As for recovering, apart of standard nose and collective down method there are also others: http://www.rotorandwing.com/2015/09/01/flying-through-the-vortex/

F/A-18, F-16, F-14, M-2000C, A-10C, AV-8B, AJS-37 Viggen, F-5E-3, F-86F, MiG-21bis, MiG-15bis, L-39 Albatros, C-101 Aviojet, P-51D, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Bf 109 4-K, UH-1H, Mi-8, Ka-50, NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf... and not enough time to fully enjoy it all

Because nobody has fully explained the practical implications of VRS in plain terms yet:

If you're descending straight down in calm air, you WILL enter VRS unless you descend extremely slowly. If you're in forward flight you can dive just like an airplane.

Don't come to a hover until you're very close to the ground (less than 10m or so) and keep horizontal speed whenever possible.

DCS modules are built up to a spec, not down to a schedule.

In order to utilize a system to your advantage, you must know how it works.

When you are slower than 50 km/h your sink rate should never get unter -4 meter per second. Than everything is fine. :smartass:

Perhaps you should avoid strong turns in this critical phase of landing. :joystick:

Master this and you will love the Mi-8!

System Specs: AMD Ryzen 5 3600, RX 6900 XT, 64GB RAM // Tobsen CM Kollektiv, VPC CM3 Throttle, VPC WarBRD Rudder Pedals, VPC T-50 CM2 + WarBRD Base  VR: HP Reverb G2

Helis: UH-1H / KA-50 3 / Mi-8 / Mi-24P / SA-342 / AH-64D  Jets: F-5E / F-14A/B / F/A-18C / MC-2000 / A-10C II / AV-8B / AJS 37 / MIG-21bis  / F-16C / F-15E / F-4E (soon)  WWII: Spitfire / WWII Assets Pack

Tech.: Combined Arms / NS430 / Supercarrier   Maps:  Nevada / Persian Gulf / Normandie / Syria / South Atlantic  Waiting for:  BO-105 / OH 58D / CH-47 Chinook / G.91R / Tornado IDS / A-7E Corsair II

• 4 months later...

Ah VRS yes it a real gotcha especially in larger helicopters getting a feel for vertical air speed is important and getting on top of excessive vertical air speed quickly is vital. On approach always consider an alternative way out of the situation should things start to get pair shaped.

As for the shaking you can modify the amount in settings but seriously it's a visual clue that you need to identify and take action on if it's not what your expecting at what ever stage of flight you are in, basically if you learn to recognise it and take action immediately you'll save the situation (most times :music_whistling:).

Seems to be the same article but in PDF format.

And I don't find anything settling about settling with power it's kinda an oxymoron to me. ;)

Control is an illusion which usually shatters at the least expected moment.

Gazelle Mini-gun version is endorphins with rotors. See above.

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.