DCS: Battle of Britain

Vincent90

Maybe because of the new Normandy map?!

MSI M5 z270 | Intel i5 7600k (OC) 4.8GHz | MSI GTX1080ti Gaming X 11Gb | 500gb Samsung 970 Evo NVME M.2 (DCS World) | 500gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD (OS and Apps) | 32Gb 2400MHz DDR4 - Crucial Ballistix | Be Quiet Silent Loop 240mm | NZXT H440 case |

Thrustmaster Warthog - 47608 with Virpil Mongoose joystick base | MFG Crosswinds - 1241 | Westland Lynx collective with Bodnar X board | Pilot's seat from ZH832 Merlin | JetSeat | Oculus Rift S | Windows 10 | VA |

Nothing to stop a third party doing it is there? One developer making all of that but with DCS as the base. Cliffs is still great but I'd really like things like VR support. While it has been tested in CLoD there's nothing saying it will be implemented.

• Windows 10 Home - 64 Bit
  • Intel Core i7-9770K
  • 32GB DDR4 RAM
  • Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080Ti
  • Oculus Rift S

The very early WW2 stuff would be cool for sure but as 'reflected' said, there is already CoD. And now Teamfusion even collaborates with 777 for commercial purposes which means that this setting will get larger and more sponsored in future. If ED makes a setting for this time period of early WW2 as well, an effect named cannibalization would happen.

It would make way more sense to find the gaps and interesting niches in the market. Pacific is definitely one possibility. Or maybe north africa or northern europe.

And there is another thing which is overlooked very often. Its not very useful for the costumers if dozens of new sceneries, settings and theaters were started but not completed for a long time. For years we had a little bit WW2 and a little bit early cold war. Until now the only fully reliable setting is the late cold war/present with FC3/A-10C/Mirage/F-5/... Nevada is btw the same time period and as a training map its not really a war theater.

The release of the normandy map and assets pack will give us the first new and fully reliable setting. So I really really hope that ED fills this theater with more stuff before starting a complete new one. A few planes like FW190A, Bf109G, Me163/262, Spitfire MKXIV, P40, P47 and maybe more are already planned or even in development.

Edited by PicksKing

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Gainward RTX 2080 OC | i7 8700K OC | 32GB G.Skill RipJaws V DDR4 3600 MHz | MSI Z370-A PRO | Samsung 970 EVO 500GB

I've had CloD a couple of years. I've flown it about twice.

I've had DCS World since release and I've flown it easily over a thousand times and still nowhere near had enough.

That's why.

Oh, and just because someone says they would like to have something, it doesn't mean it has to be right this instant, even in today's gimme it now society. We already have most of the basis for such a scenario with the Normandy map, so why not!

Not that I would be interested so much, as an A/G chap.

Edited by Brixmis
  • Like 1

Kneeboard Guides

Rig: Asus B650-GAMING PLUS; Ryzen 7800X3D ; 64GB DDR5 5600; RTX 4080; VPC T50 CM2 HOTAS; SN-1 Pedals; VR = Pico 4 over VD Wireless + Index; Point Control v2

North Africa is covered by TF and the Pacific is being covered by 777 in BoX.

Italy is where it should go. A map that could be used for the Balkans and Italy, Malta & Sicily would be fantastic.

• Windows 10 Home - 64 Bit
  • Intel Core i7-9770K
  • 32GB DDR4 RAM
  • Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080Ti
  • Oculus Rift S

I'd go Northern Greece with parts of Macedonia Albania and Bulgaria.

But a balkan map would be great.

so many places to go to.

I wish they would allow us the use of the terrain tools.

Obviously any maps created would need to be passed by ED for quality control purposes but I think we would have way more maps available to us if they did.

SD

• Like 1

[sIGPIC]sigpic55726_5.gif[/sIGPIC]

I've had CloD a couple of years. I've flown it about twice.

I've had DCS World since release and I've flown it easily over a thousand times and still nowhere near had enough.

That's why.

Not that I would be interested so much, as an A/G chap.

The reason you don't play clod is not because you don't like the way clod operates, but because you prefer A/G which DCS is better for.

Fair enough now I see your meaning.

• 5 years later...

Being careful what I say but I have to say CLOD is a great sim. However a Battle of Britain environment for DCS would be so welcome we have the map, just need a few modules. Piece of cake 😂, no I’m kidding I know how much work goes into making these modules but flying the Mk IX spitfire on the channel map it looks so gorgeous, but to fly an early mk I Spitfire, which in my opinion, and possibly only my opinion, was the most beautiful of the lot, the brown and green camouflage large roundels and some of the unique underside colours. To fly that spit and pretend it’s summer 1940 in DCS would be really special, guess it’s because i’ve read so many books about the Battle of Britain. And the first hand accounts have really got me interested in it. 

Edited by westr
  • Like 4

harrier landing GIFRYZEN 7 3700X Running at 4.35 GHz

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080Ti

32gb DDR4 RAM @3200 MHz

Oculus CV1 NvME 970 EVO

TM Warthog Stick & Throttle plus 11" extension. VKB T-Rudder MKIV

3 minutes ago, westr said:

Being careful what I say but I have to say CLOD is a great sim. However a Battle of Britain environment for DCS would be so welcome we have the map, just need a few modules. Piece of cake 😂, no I’m kidding I know how much work goes into making these modules but flying the Mk IX spitfire on the channel map it looks so gorgeous, but to fly an early mk I Spitfire, which in my opinion, and possibly only my opinion, was the most beautiful of the lot, the brown and green camouflage large roundels and some of the unique underside colours. To fly that spit and pretend it’s summer 1940 in DCS would be really special, guess it’s because if read so many books about the Battle of Britain. And the first hand accounts have really got me interested in it. 

I think the fact that you necro'd a thread from a half-decade ago wishing for this perfectly exemplifies the likelyhood of getting this in the near term. We have maps, sure, but none of the airframes required.

Modules: Wright Flyer, Spruce Goose, Voyager 1

7 minutes ago, unlikely_spider said:

I think the fact that you necro'd a thread from a half-decade ago wishing for this perfectly exemplifies the likelyhood of getting this in the near term. We have maps, sure, but none of the airframes required.

No but TFC has access to some of the aircraft required. Although the Hispano Buchon has the wrong engine but I believe they have friends who run a DB powered 109. I believe I watched it once during flying legends, it was a real privilege because they are super rare. And it is 💯 on the cards if you listen to interviews with Nick Grey it’s just that these things take a long time. So it could be a number of years before we get such a scenario. 

32gb DDR4 RAM @3200 MHz

Oculus CV1 NvME 970 EVO

1 minute ago, westr said:

No but TFC has access to some of the aircraft required. Although the Hispano Buchon has the wrong engine but I believe they have friends who run a DB powered 109. I believe I watched it once during flying legends, it was a real privilege because they are super rare. And it is 💯 on the cards if you listen to interviews with Nick Grey it’s just that these things take a long time. So it could be a number of years before we get such a scenario. 

What's TFC?

Modules: Wright Flyer, Spruce Goose, Voyager 1

Its funny when this thread was first started, there were no maps in DCS for WWII yet as I think it predates even the Normandy map. The very first response to this was why not a Pacific theater map. Today we have Normandy, the Channel, and a Pacific theater is almost here. What we need now are the modules/assets to fill the maps with. There are so many planes/ships/vehicles missing from the lineup.

stuka.jpeg

8 minutes ago, unlikely_spider said:

What's TFC?

The Fighter Collection I think?

Edited by Callsign112
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, unlikely_spider said:

What's TFC?

The Fighter Collection based at Duxford U.K.  I think they are described as DCS publisher. And they have a large collection of warbirds. 

• Like 1

32gb DDR4 RAM @3200 MHz

Oculus CV1 NvME 970 EVO

4 hours ago, westr said:

The Fighter Collection based at Duxford U.K.  I think they are described as DCS publisher. And they have a large collection of warbirds. 

As I understand it.

Nick Grey is CEO of ED and director of TFC. ED was founded by Nick Grey and Igor Tishin in the early 90s, with Tishins death Nick Grey is the sole owner of ED.

TFC was founded as a private aircraft collection and warbird maintenance facility by Nick Grey’s father Stephen Grey, Nick is director.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, unlikely_spider said:

Well now there's something for my bucket list.

Duxford should be on every prophead's bucket list. Nothing beats the smell of a "live" hangar.........

......Cept perhaps 4 star petrol on a cold winter's morning  Mmmmmmm......the 70s........

• Like 1

MSI Tomahawk X570 Mobo, Ryzen 5600X undervolted on Artic Freezer E34 Cooler, RTX3080 FE, 32GB (2x16GB Dual Ranked) GSkil 3600 CL16 Trident Neo RAM, 2X 4th Gen M2 SSDs, Corsair RM850x PSU, Lancool 215 Case. 

Gear: MFG Crosswinds, Warthog Throttle, Virpil T50CM gen 1 stick, TIR5, Cougar MFD (OOA), D-link H7/B powered USB 2.0 Hub all strapped to a butchered Wheel stand pro, Cushion to bang head on, wall to scream at.