Advice on new PC Build

As I begin getting to work on constructing my new rig, there are a couple questions I can't seem to figure out, given its my first time even building a gaming pc.

What is overclocking? I hear that alot among gamers, but never could understand the meaning.

What should I do or look for once the hardware is set up and I'm going to the motherboard stage?

What would be the optimal settings whilst getting the motherboard systems set up?

Would I still need a OS disc(in this case, Windows) installed if my hard drive already has the same, if not, a more updated OS?

DCS status:

Case:NZXT S340 Mid Tower;Motherboard:MSi 970 Gaming DDR3 ATX;CPU:AMD FX-8350 8-Core Unlocked with Hyper 212 Evo heatsink;Memory:Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3;Hard Drive:Samsung 640GB;SSD: Crucial 256GB;Sound:Asus Xonar DGX; Power: EVGA 600W B1 80+;OS:Windows 10 64-bit; GPU: MSI Radeon RX 570 8GB 256-bit

Modules: Flaming Cliffs 3, P-51D, Combined Arms, Black Shark 3, A-10C/2, WW2 Assets, F/A-18C, F-16C Viper, AH-64D, Supercarrier, China Assets Pack

Maps: Persian Gulf, Syria, Marianas, Sinai

ehhhh OK !

From how and what you ask I can read that you have not yet installed an OS to a new machine nor have put one together but you dont seem afraid of it __ I LIKE THAT !!!

Overclocking is done through changing settings on your motherboard to let the CPU run at a higher speed, as if you would let your V8 turn 8500rpm instead of the factory set 5900rpm ( granted it wont fly apart at 8500 !! hehe ).

It is done to get more processing power out of the same CPU, GPU or RAM, each of those can be overclocked to SOME extend that depends on various factors, the most important one is COOLING as overclocked chips always run hotter by nature.

If you look for the left lane, get an Intel i5 or i7 ( Demon would say i5, Bit says i7 LOL ) of the "K" version, like i5-7600k or i7-7700k as those K-models are UNLOCKED and can easily be overclocked. How far you can overclock, or OC as we say, depends on pure LUCK to some extend as all chips differ, not one 7700k is the same as another 7700k, they all behave different the further you push them, but that is no issue or game breaker, you just have to accept some oc better and further than others.

GPU ( Graphic Card processing unit ) can be oc'ed as well and is A LOT simpler as it is done with moving a few sliders and you are basically done. The CPU might need some evenings of testing and trial&error to find the sweetspot.

If you go and buy it all new and you are running Win10 you can TRY to reuse your current install but be warned, this is not what you should do if you are unfamiliar with OS management, drivers, install processes and such BUT you can try it, I did it and mine runs very nice but I am an admin as well and think ( LOL ) I know what I do and can judge if I proceed this way or blank the disk and reinstall from scratch.

Things you SHOULD know when installing on a new board, like Z270. Win7 will have issue if you install it via USB, use a DVD for simplicity. If you really want USB install on WIn7 and Z170 or Z270 you need to prepare your USB stick beforhand, Asus has tools that do this but I highly recommend a DVD install for simplicity as you are a novice. Dont complicate things.

If you have WIn10, use either or, USB and DVD works right away without any additional preparation. What you should do is wait till the 11th of April and then downlaiod the new creators build and pu that on a stick withz the MS tool given on the MS DL site. Very straight forward procedure and real easy, for anybody !

You have to get your system up ansd running STABLE first before you oc anything.

Install Win10, drivers, games, Updates for everything etc... THEN if all runs smooooth you can start to oc from WITHIN windows if you buy an Asus board ( asus still rules, forget the others when it comes to UEFI Bios and OC tools, they still try to catch Asus' simplicity and functionality is my strong personal advice as a system builder ).

Once your new PC runs and is rready to oc, check back in and we will get the OC done :)

Questions welcome

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

Kind of, whereas the PC will not look like an ugly monster afterwards :)

Love those old muscle cars, Steve McQueen like....but with our gas prices over here I stick to overclocking CPU's haha.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

I used to overclock my PC a few years ago, but stopped when the current processors became so powerful that it doesnt seem worthwhile anymore ...

... it's a lot of time invested testing the limits of your rig (in order to get a stable overclock), for a relatively small percentage increase of performance.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Overclocking CPU's today is easy it's built in to most mother board to just click the overclocking setting to what speed you want and it's a done deal nothing hard about it at all...

8700k@4.7 32GB ram, 1080TI hybrid SC2

I remember an early gaming build. I thought I would end up doing two graphics cards so brought a board that could take 3. That never happened.

My current machine is more a workstation with a matx board in it and and unlocked i5 with a fairly low end gtx 760 (ocd).

I've just got basic kingston ram ddr3 stuff 16gb. It's not bottlenecking (slowing anything down) - I had expensive ram on my last build but never really noticed any difference so I just went with basic branded ram.

The Samsung evo ssds are great. The kingston (silver) ones are pretty good too.

Get a better power supply bud. The kentek looks a bit naff. Get one of the corsair builder series units. Cost a bit more, but worth it as if the power supply goes pop it can take out other expensive parts. You don't want your $20 power supply exploding after a month taking out your $100 motherboard or destroying your $300 graphics card. Cheap power supplies often won't give out the power they state. As if you couldn't tell I rate a good power supply as much as having a good graphics card or RAM. People often make the mistake spending loads on the cool bits and getting a rubbish power supply and then regretting it a few months or years down the line.

Just my 2 cents. Everyone has their own opinion on a pc build from personal experiences good and bad.

Edited by BFBunny

Get a better power supply bud. The kentek looks a bit naff. Get one of the corsair builder series units. Cost a bit more, but worth it as if the power supply goes pop it can take out other expensive parts. You don't want your $20 power supply exploding after a month taking out your $100 motherboard or destroying your $300 graphics card. Cheap power supplies often won't give out the power they state. As if you couldn't tell I rate a good power supply as much as having a good graphics card or RAM. People often make the mistake spending loads on the cool bits and getting a rubbish power supply and then regretting it a few months or years down the line.

Just my 2 cents. Everyone has their own opinion on a pc build from personal experiences good and bad.

Well, just in case it does go south, just recieved a PSU tester today, tested it three to four times today, and everything looks copacetic now. All three lights were green, and PG value seems in range. So I'll go for this for now.

DCS status:

Case:NZXT S340 Mid Tower;Motherboard:MSi 970 Gaming DDR3 ATX;CPU:AMD FX-8350 8-Core Unlocked with Hyper 212 Evo heatsink;Memory:Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3;Hard Drive:Samsung 640GB;SSD: Crucial 256GB;Sound:Asus Xonar DGX; Power: EVGA 600W B1 80+;OS:Windows 10 64-bit; GPU: MSI Radeon RX 570 8GB 256-bit

Modules: Flaming Cliffs 3, P-51D, Combined Arms, Black Shark 3, A-10C/2, WW2 Assets, F/A-18C, F-16C Viper, AH-64D, Supercarrier, China Assets Pack

Maps: Persian Gulf, Syria, Marianas, Sinai