Losing radar contact shortly after launch.

ultrablue2258

Honestly I love the Mirage 2000C but I can't find good information about the RADAR functions/designations. The manual also does not provide the clue, probably for being beta and not fully implemented yet, but, is there any manual/document that can provide more insight about the RADAR?

Thank you.

Look at this thread for basic symbology

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=2986738&highlight=radar+velocity+range#post2986738

This thread for radar function

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=153542&highlight=boresight+vertical+scan+horizontal+close+combat

Here for close combat modes

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=2790282&highlight=boresight+vertical+scan+horizontal+close+combat#post2790282

I found the "Chuck's guide" explaining the radar nice. I played the "Radar training" mission delivered with the module before reading the guide. But I think, actually reading the guide before the training mission would probably worked better. Haven't checked the original manual about the radar though. I only learned the basics about the radar yesterday, so it's from a noob's perspective.

Am I right saying you have to double lock a target to go into the STT mode to guide the weapon ?

Will it still guide if it's just locked (single lock) ? Or have I mixed it all up completely ? :-D

EDIT:

From Chuck's Guide :

7. Detect target using vertical antenna and radar range controls. Radar will be in RWS (Range While Scan) mode.

8. Put TDC on designated target (I, J, K, L) and lock it by pressing ENTER. Target will have a square on it on the HUD and radar will enter TWS (Track While Scan) mode.

9. Manoeuver the aircraft to put the circle shown on the HUD on the square.

10. Lock your missile seeker head to the radar lock by pressing ENTER

once circle and square are aligned. Radar will enter STT (Single Track Scan) mode.

11. Fire missile (Press and hold Weapon Fire key, SPACE by default) when missile is within KILL (no escape) range.

Edited by Skitter

I found the "Chuck's guide" explaining the radar nice. I played the "Radar training" mission delivered with the module before reading the guide. But I think, actually reading the guide before the training mission would probably worked better. Haven't checked the original manual about the radar though. I only learned the basics about the radar yesterday, so it's from a noob's perspective.

Am I right saying you have to double lock a target to go into the STT mode to guide the weapon ?

Will it still guide if it's just locked (single lock) ? Or have I mixed it all up completely ? :-D

EDIT:

From Chuck's Guide :

If you single lock it, the target is in Track While Scan mode, so you can see its velocity vector. It is not a hard lock though, the target doesn't know you've locked it yet and the radar will display other targets and update their positions. To guide a weapon the radar must be in STT (single target track aka hard lock) mode however, when you fire a 530, the radar will automatically go into STT mode.

Ahh, thanks for the info. Probably better to leave it until then....unless there's any advantage of hard locking before fire ?

No advantage. Sometimes, in MP it is useful to hard lock an enemy before they're inside firing range to make them stop their attack against a friendly. That's if they take the bait.

• Like 1

Ahh, thanks for the info. Probably better to leave it until then....unless there's any advantage of hard locking before fire ?

I remember that according to an older post (think from jojo) , a hard lock provide the missile during launch with more data or the missile has at that time more data about the target available. But I don't remember if it was a theoretic analysis or if it is implemented in the game engine.

Edited by jaguara5

In PIC (STT) the contact informations is updated instantly, in PID(TWS) the contact informations is updated every scan cycle (can be up to 3 seconds IIRC) so in this mode you can loose lock if the contact is doing hard maneuvers. It does not happen too often tho.

Note that in PID(TWS) you won't have a radar gun pipper, you will have the distance marker as if you were not using the radar.

Helljumper - M2000C Guru

Helljumper's Youtube

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK3rTjezLUxPbWHvJJ3W2fA

14516341_1116273921792578_203987405054882212_n.jpg?oh=beed686b43ffde2c89be3d0b1f81656e&oe=594DD321

The number at the end of the target speed vector is the B Angle or the angle made by the target's vector and yours.

I'm sorry that I got to ask but this seems to have passed me some how... How do I enable the information on which aircraft I'm locking? E.g. the mig 29 in that case.?:helpsmilie:

Space is not free. If you don't gabe anything useful to say then don't write anything at all.

Wow. Did you have such a bad day? I'm sorry if it's the case.

Otherwise, humor is free. As is speech BTW.

Good day! :)

No advantage.

Yes there are.

Better refresh rate (already written above) before launch.

And quicker launch as the missile doesn't have to wait for the radar to switch to STT as this is already done.

++

Az'

spacer.png

Losing radar contact shortly after launch.

Wow. Did you have such a bad day? I'm sorry if it's the case.

Otherwise, humor is free. As is speech BTW.

Good day! :)

Yes there are.

Better refresh rate (already written above) before launch.

And quicker launch as the missile doesn't have to wait for the radar to switch to STT as this is already done.

++

Az'

It's not a question of a bad day. It's more about useful information and use of space. And honestly it's a loss of time, replying like you did.

Thank you for the links.

Sent from Tapatalk.

ASUS N552VX | i7-6700HQ @ 2.59GHz | 16 GB DDR3 | NVIDIA GF GTX 950M 4 Gb | 250 Gb SSD | 1 Tb HD SATA II Backup | TIR4 | Microsoft S. FF 2+X52 Throttle+Saitek Pedals | Win 10 64 bits

It's not a question of a bad day. It's more about useful information and use of space. And honestly it's a loss of time, replying like you did.

Are we not allowed to do little jokes ?

Unless you are a moderator your two answers were bringing even less informations than AZ so who is using space for nothing ? ;)

(I do not remember paying anything to post here...)

Helljumper - M2000C Guru

Helljumper's Youtube

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK3rTjezLUxPbWHvJJ3W2fA