The Mig feels like a fighter again

Geezer66

It's a joy to fly this aircraft again after todays patch. The handling is very precise, the weird stall behavior is gone and not having to fiddle with the weapons selector is a huge deal to me. I have high hopes for Magnitude 3 going forward and can't thank them enough for the work they put into fixing my favorite DCS module.:thumbup:

• Like 1

I second that, great work, thanks! And it's good to see this module is taken care of again :)

• Like 1

System specs: Win7 x64 | CPU: i7-4770K | RAM: 16 GB | GPU: GTX 980 Ti 6 GB | Thrustmaster HOTAS | MFG rudder pedals | SATA3 SSD | TrackIR

this is music to my ears!

The MiG-21bis has been my favourite module since I got it, I have battled through all the terrible things that have happened to it over the last year and still fly it as much as possible. This latest patch is sorely needed and I can't wait to get home and take her for a spin.

I took her out on MP last evening. Really enjoying this update. they did good!

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

My game can't update to 1.5.6.3690. It says " the installed version 1.5.6.1938.247 is up tp date.

As grunf said; you can read some details about that, and how to change between the release and beta (or alpha) branches here: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=114030

System specs: Win7 x64 | CPU: i7-4770K | RAM: 16 GB | GPU: GTX 980 Ti 6 GB | Thrustmaster HOTAS | MFG rudder pedals | SATA3 SSD | TrackIR

Isn't the latest version more prone to have its landing gear damaged though? It seems a little too sensitive to me, even a soft landing can break one of its legs.

Does seem to require a little more TLC on the touchdown. I've bent a main gear or two in some of the landings.

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

I also agree that this is the best FM update for a long time. The stall performance in particular is by far the best yet and some of the previous odd behaviors seem totally gone! Outstanding work! :thumbup:

The roll is now quite crisp and responsive with some sense of inertia. Also, the nose still wanders a bit in the approach configuration, especially below 350 kph IAS (which I hoped would stay and did).

-Nick

You all don't find the roll rate a bit silly? It rolls super fast even in full stall where the ailerons should be totally ineffective. The rudder behavior is highly suspicious too. Also, the old nose wheel steering is back it seems. I don't know if the revised weapon selector is accurate, but it makes more sense at least. Need to try it out with the SARH-IR ripple method, should be fairly easy now :). I have mixed feelings on this MiG-21 update overall.

System specs: i5-10600k (4.9 GHz), RX 6950XT, 32GB DDR4 3200, NVMe SSD, Reverb G2, WinWing Super Libra/Taurus, CH Pro Pedals.

Isn't the latest version more prone to have its landing gear damaged though? It seems a little too sensitive to me, even a soft landing can break one of its legs.

I have to record a video concerning the landing pattern, approach and landing. I have impression majority of users are thought to do it wrong.

I'll try to do it following week, for the Open Beta.

• Like 1

Power through superb knowledge, training and teamwork.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

You all don't find the roll rate a bit silly? It rolls super fast even in full stall where the ailerons should be totally ineffective. The rudder behavior is highly suspicious too.

i do agree with this, there is no rollrate degradation at any aoa which is pretty suspect, but overall this is the best state the fm has been in a while.

I have to record a video concerning the landing pattern, approach and landing. I have impression majority of users are thought to do it wrong.

That'd be nice, thanks! :)

For sure my landing can improve further! ;)

My understanding is that, on a concrete runway, the touchdown should normally be done at 260 to 280 km/h with the stick pulled all the way back, an AoA of 11-13° on the UUA-1 indicator.

When I fail to keep the nosewheel up on touchdown and maintain this AoA for a few seconds, my estimation is the landing wasn't done properly. It's usually due to a rate of descent that is too fast, and/or failing to pull hard enough on the stick right before touchdown to flare and keep the nose up. Or it's the general speed which is not fast enough, it should be at least 330 km/h when starting to flare.

And having a greater vertical speed on touchdown is when the gear assembly gets damaged, sure enough. But it does seems more sensitive now in the beta than before, and I was wondering which was the correct robustness of the landing gear, before or now. It's not as if I was slamming the aircraft on the runway, it's not perfect but not a navy landing either.

But it does seems more sensitive now in the beta than before

At the moment, (IIRC) main landing gear suspension is set up to withstand almost the maximum TOW alone. There should not be any problems to land MiG in all allowed landing configurations and weight combinations + some extra.

I haven't had any problems in patch pre-release tests, landing her at almost MTOW, which is something I would not attempt in reality.

However, I believe the technique of final, flare and touchdown have to be improved to avoid gears damage. Im not much of a video editor/director, but I'll try to depict the most important things to keep in mind for a proper landing. Although, most of users are probably really close, just need a tip or two for improvement.

Edited by Dolphin887
typo
  • Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

At the moment, (IIRC) main landing gear suspension is set up to withstand almost the maximum TOW alone. There should not be any problems to land MiG in all allowed landing configurations and weight combinations + some extra.

I haven't had any problems in patch pre-release tests, landing her at almost MTOW, which is something I would not attempt in reality.

However, I believe the technique of final, flare and touchdown have to be improved to avoid gears damage. Im not much of a video editor/director, but I'll try to depict the most important things to keep in mind for a proper landing. Although, most of users are probably really close, just need a tip or two for improvement.

I only landed once after the patch, like I usualy do, very shallow with low sink rate. No problems whatsoever. I had no missiles but almost full fuel tank, because I just setup a quick mission to test the new weapon selection logic (works great btw :thumbup:), saw a runaway and landed. :D

I only landed once after the patch, like I usualy do, very shallow with low sink rate. No problems whatsoever. I had no missiles but almost full fuel tank, because I just setup a quick mission to test the new weapon selection logic (works great btw :thumbup:), saw a runaway and landed. :D

It was just a feeling and that's why I preferred to ask, I have no precise measurements - it would be nice to know the vertical speed at landing in DCS, but the sampling rate is too slow for that in Lua.

Anyway, more practice needed to hone those landing skills :)

Please do, with control indicator turned on. I've been flying the DCS MiG since it was released, but I've never managed to touch down smoothly on mains while keeping the nosewheel up, like I do in L-39 and MiG-15. The nose alway drops immediately for me. Not hard enough to cause any damage, but still, I'd like to learn to do it smoother.

I'd love to see someone doing the landing the proper way!

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

Ive updated from release to open beta too, just to see what the fuss is about with new FM.

I agree that roll rate and rudder efectivnes not being affecting by AOA is a suspect, and I would like to see some wing rocking at low speed high AOA as stated in pilots manuals.

Last flight i went for stall/spin ride and found myself hanging upside down in inverted spin (recovered successfully) just as manual mentions which never happened to me since release. That was scary looking at the screen, must be terrifying IRL.

To mention landing, I actually do not find it more or less difficult in this version than others, even managed to keep nose up (a little, take some practice). If you do it by the book you should have no troubles.

I must say it is probably best FM since release, really feels lively now, more testing to be done still.

Big thanks for M3 for keeping the 21 alive.

Big thanks for M3 for keeping the 21 alive.

Thank you... We did as much as we could in short time, including the SF patching. Hopefully, things will settle down and further improve in next several weeks.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Like the new behavier of the MIG 21 very much.

A lot of smoother and much more agile.

It´s a real joy now to fly her. :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

System Specs: AMD Ryzen 5 3600, RX 6900 XT, 64GB RAM // Tobsen CM Kollektiv, VPC CM3 Throttle, VPC WarBRD Rudder Pedals, VPC T-50 CM2 + WarBRD Base  VR: HP Reverb G2

Helis: UH-1H / KA-50 3 / Mi-8 / Mi-24P / SA-342 / AH-64D  Jets: F-5E / F-14A/B / F/A-18C / MC-2000 / A-10C II / AV-8B / AJS 37 / MIG-21bis  / F-16C / F-15E / F-4E (soon)  WWII: Spitfire / WWII Assets Pack

Tech.: Combined Arms / NS430 / Supercarrier   Maps:  Nevada / Persian Gulf / Normandie / Syria / South Atlantic  Waiting for:  BO-105 / OH 58D / CH-47 Chinook / G.91R / Tornado IDS / A-7E Corsair II