Nature of VTOL in AV-8

crudboy12

It'll be pretty embarrassing getting shot down by anti-tank missiles fired by tanks or utility helicopters while being highly exposed trying to hover in a combat zone. Hovering while trying to stare at a screen in the cockpit is just a bad idea... That is exactly what the vast majority of the Ka-50's I bag online are doing when I whack them with rockets. I cant wait to shoot down my first Harrier in a Huey or Mi-8.:thumbup:

Truly superior pilots are those that use their superior judgment to avoid those situations where they might have to use their superior skills.

If you ever find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

"If at first you don't succeed, Carrier Landings are not for you!"

I had heard the narrator talk about the 150 gallons of water for about 90 seconds worth of water injection. That's where my post came from that Dehuman linked to above, and the max 90 seconds of hovering.

I wonder if that was a slight misnomer, what the narrator said. I imagine at full throttle you probably would need water injection. But I've seen other videos where you can actually see the water being sprayed into the huge intakes on either side of the cockpit. In the documentary, with no weapons loaded at the time of that "90 seconds" comment, you can clearly see there was no water being injected, thus implying the engine was not at full throttle.

Would be nice to get further clarity on this. Also, I would imagine there's a gauge that shows the water level for the water injection system.

Edited by 609_Relentov

I had heard the narrator talk about the 150 gallons of water for about 90 seconds worth of water injection. That's where my post came from that Dehuman linked to above, and the max 90 seconds of hovering.

I wonder if that was a slight misnomer, what the narrator said. I imagine at full throttle you probably would need water injection. But I've seen other videos where you can actually see the water being sprayed into the huge intakes on either side of the cockpit. In the documentary, with no weapons loaded at the time of that "90 seconds" comment, you can clearly see there was no water being injected, thus implying the engine was not at full throttle.

Would be nice to get further clarity on this. Also, I would imagine there's a gauge that shows the water level for the water injection system.

It is 500 pounds of water of which only 475 pounds can be used for about 90 seconds. Neither VTOL nor hovering depend on water. The water is a helper but the aircraft is perfectly capable of doing VTOL and hover without it.

Of course the need of water depends on the environment and aircraft load.

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."

"The three most dangerous things in the world are a programmer with a soldering iron, a hardware type with a program patch and a user with an idea."

Yes, if you were to load the aircraft with just a bit of fuel and NO stores, you could easily hover without needing water injection.

DCS modules are built up to a spec, not down to a schedule.

In order to utilize a system to your advantage, you must know how it works.

Yes, if you were to load the aircraft with just a bit of fuel and NO stores, you could easily hover without needing water injection.

But knowing us we are going to become theoretically hovering, night-attack bomb/AGM-trucks. That's about as certain as us RED players sneaking with IRST+IR-MRM/SRM and Ka-50's hovering fixated on that one if the two shiny screens in their pit. Of course all these habits are also mine. Such is life (in DCS). :D

Edited by asla36
Shiny screens are important! I know it from experience, I also know that they are the No. 1 way of getting hit by a MANPAD.

DCS: MiG-23

[sIGPIC]

[/sIGPIC]

Make it happen, and take my money! :D

Which makes me wonder what the usable takeoff weight will be when working from an LHD. A little back of the napkin math and the NFM-400 gives me a STO weight of about 24000 lbs, assuming a 20 knot WOD and 600 ft of usable deck for rollout. Figuring an empty weight of about 14000 and internal fuel of 7000 lbs leaves not a lot of room for stores, even less if you want extra gas for range/loiter. May be necessary to take off a little dry and gas up on ingress. Which clearly means...

We need a tanker craft for this bird too!:D

Edited by Subferro

Which makes me wonder what the usable takeoff weight will be when working from an LHD. A little back of the napkin math and the NFM-400 gives me a STO weight of about 24000 lbs, assuming a 20 knot WOD and 600 ft of usable deck for rollout. Figuring an empty weight of about 14000 and internal fuel of 7000 lbs leaves not a lot of room for stores, even less if you want extra gas for range/loiter. May be necessary to take off a little dry and gas up on ingress. Which clearly means...

We need a tanker craft for this bird too!:D

What type of refueling system does the AV-8 have?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

A-10C, FC3, P-51, BF-109, UH-1, MI-8, KA-50, M2000C, AJS-37, Gazelle, F-5E, L-39, F-86, MiG-15, MiG-21.