Promoting DCS?

riproren

I recently advertised a couple of Graphics cards I wanted to sell on Craigslist. I ended up selling 1 each to a couple of guys. When they came to pick them up, they asked and I explained why I was selling them after upgrading my rig.

They asked what I used my rig for and I told them about DCS. These 2 guys were about as different as could be. One was a guy in his 60's who built PC's and the other was a college kid whose dad is a commercial pilot. Both were into FSX. I showed them some Youtube videos of DCS, and the expression on both of their faces reminded me of myself when I saw DCS for the first time about a year ago.

My questions are in response to meeting both these guys. Both were into flight sims, and both had never heard of DCS.

Are we as a community promoting this program? Should we currently be promoting it, or waiting til after the merge?

Just curious about your thoughts.

Alienware Area 51, Windows 10, I7-5820k, 6 cores 15mb Cache Overclocked to 3.8GGZ, 32GB Dual Channel DDR4 at 2133mhz, Dual Nvidia Titan X 12MB. 2TB 7200rpm sata 6gb/s,

Recently I hyped DCS to some friends... but they beat me down a few weeks later for pointing them to such a buggy game. :chair:

Ouch! I don't want to go through that again! All my explanations of why ED can't take the time at this point to ensure the main product is in better repair fell on deaf and unbelieving ears. I'll begin recruiting and promoting DCS World again once the game is in a better state of repair, perhaps after the WWII stuff is done, oh... and the 2.5 merge is made and ED can devote resources to seriously squashing some bugs and improving the game's stability in general. I'm hoping then I'll get those friends back! I do so love this sim but have to be wary of promoting it, in it's current condition, to experienced flight simmers.

CPU: i7 980x @ 4.2GHz RAM: 24gb Corsair Vengeance

MB: Gigabyte Sniper X58 w/onboard Soundblaster X-Fi

HD: SanDisk 480gb SSD OS: Win7 Pro 64bit

VIDEO CARD: EVGA GTX 980ti FTW

MONITOR: LG 34" Ultrawide 2560x1080

MP SERVER: ibuypower i7-4810MQ w/Win7 Home 64bit

GEAR: Saitek X-52 Pro; Combat Rudder Pedals; Throttle Quadrants. Thrustmaster MFD's, TrackIR 5 w/Pro Clip, Turtle Beach X-12 Headset

I have mentioned DCS a few times on steam reviews... one was about a certain new commercial airline game and they mentioned how it was the best looking flight sim on the market... I was like have you checked out DCS? And linked a few videos.

I am not so sure the word is out as much as it could but, but I also think it would be wise for ED... and perhaps us to wait until the merge, because, let's be serious.. it is a bit buggy atm.

5900X - 32 GB 3600 RAM - 1080TI

My Twitch Channel

~Moo

• 3 weeks later...

Marketing DCS

I get the feeling that not a lot of people have heard of DCS. I wonder if ED plans to market DCS to a wider audience at any point. Perhaps after the merge into one client, ED might show off DCS at a gaming convention, or make a real effort to put the game in the hands of a wider audience.

I feel like there are a lot of people who like military sims like ARMA, and might also like DCS, but don't necessarily follow the flight sim world and might not have heard of it. Unlike Prepar3d and X-plane, DCS is free, which might be appealing to many people unwilling to make an initial monetary commitment. Those people might be inclined to purchase modules later on down the line, particularly FC3, which is great value for money as far as flight sims go.

I had been playing flight sims for a long time before I heard of DCS, and I really didn't understand what it was and how far ahead of the curve it was until I tried it on a whim. I now own most of the modules, and it is safe to say that ED has a lot of my hard earned cash. DCS has a wide spread of eras available, and the cheap, easy to fly FC3 planes can help ease in beginners. These attributes, combined with the initial cost of 0$ and the excellent quality control of 3rd parties, leads to, in my opinion, the easiest to attract new people to of the "hard core" flight sims available.

Thoughts and opinions?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

A-10C, FC3, P-51, BF-109, UH-1, MI-8, KA-50, M2000C, AJS-37, Gazelle, F-5E, L-39, F-86, MiG-15, MiG-21.

I get the feeling that not a lot of people have heard of DCS. I wonder if ED plans to market DCS to a wider audience at any point. Perhaps after the merge into one client, ED might show off DCS at a gaming convention, or make a real effort to put the game in the hands of a wider audience.

I feel like there are a lot of people who like military sims like ARMA, and might also like DCS, but don't necessarily follow the flight sim world and might not have heard of it. Unlike Prepar3d and X-plane, DCS is free, which might be appealing to many people unwilling to make an initial monetary commitment. Those people might be inclined to purchase modules later on down the line, particularly FC3, which is great value for money as far as flight sims go.

I had been playing flight sims for a long time before I heard of DCS, and I really didn't understand what it was and how far ahead of the curve it was until I tried it on a whim. I now own most of the modules, and it is safe to say that ED has a lot of my hard earned cash. DCS has a wide spread of eras available, and the cheap, easy to fly FC3 planes can help ease in beginners. These attributes, combined with the initial cost of 0$ and the excellent quality control of 3rd parties, leads to, in my opinion, the easiest to attract new people to of the "hard core" flight sims available.

Thoughts and opinions?

I believe there was a thread concerning this before....

I think this is it:https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=185535

DCS status:

Case:NZXT S340 Mid Tower;Motherboard:MSi 970 Gaming DDR3 ATX;CPU:AMD FX-8350 8-Core Unlocked with Hyper 212 Evo heatsink;Memory:Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3;Hard Drive:Samsung 640GB;SSD: Crucial 256GB;Sound:Asus Xonar DGX; Power: EVGA 600W B1 80+;OS:Windows 10 64-bit; GPU: MSI Radeon RX 570 8GB 256-bit

Modules: Flaming Cliffs 3, P-51D, Combined Arms, Black Shark 3, A-10C/2, WW2 Assets, F/A-18C, F-16C Viper, AH-64D, Supercarrier, China Assets Pack

Maps: Persian Gulf, Syria, Marianas, Sinai