Was this guy cheating?

FrankTheSpank

It looks like he was warping- there are 2 primary causes. One of you has a bad connection (check for high ping 400+) or he is hitting print screen over and over again deliberately trying to hose up the connection. a.k.a. cheating. If this happened more than once at very opportune times, I would suggest that you should post all the info- especially his name if you have it- on the server forum of the host squadron. That way the event can be matched up to server logs and his flying will be watched a little closer by the admins.

There is also another possibilty which isnt cheating but a problem.

If a player has limited bandwidth and the server demands alot, Dumping chaff and flares can make the target aircraft warp. Very similar to that screenshot.

Yeah I see people warp on the runway sometimes flip upside and do all sorts of crazy stuff while taxing. As much as I like playing online with 20 people or so I think the network code and servers just can't handle it. I don't have any scientific data to back it up but it just seems like the more people online then the more overall lag or people complaining of lag or printscreen cheaters. Rarely ever problems with a dozen or less players, at least in my experience and I play online at least 3 nights a week. Do some people cheat? Sure some do. But I think alot of the problems are just too many players or people with improper setups or just bad connections. A dedicated server app would do so much for this game I think.

It looks like he was warping- there are 2 primary causes. One of you has a bad connection (check for high ping 400+) or he is hitting print screen over and over again deliberately trying to hose up the connection. a.k.a. cheating. If this happened more than once at very opportune times,

The ping was bad, about 250, but this guy would zig zag all over the screen only when a missile was about to nail him. I launched EVERYTHING I had at him, including 3 R77's, he was in visual range as you can see from my screen shot, as soon as my missle was about to hit him he'd zig zag away from it.

Guess it could either be cheating or just a lagging server.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Yep, the majority of these incidents are due to "info traffic" problems. What doesnt help is when people like Cool T pick up on a new phrase like "Screenshot cheat" cause some sims like IL2 use it and vola everyone can be accused of it. Nothing to do with him spamming 8 missiles at once at one target and this target trying to evade this cloud of slammers that lockon needs to caculate positions and preformance for.

We were having problems like this for about 2 years before this was screamed at people.

On private sessions I used to sit on the apron and when a mate few over me I would hit the flare button like mad to lag him for buzzing me.

Well just imagine that in this example you have launched at him and he is quite rightfully poping chaff and flares to spoof the missile. Well this is just going to lag the server, especially when you have a lot of people on it doing the same thing (i.e 50% firing and 50% poping chaff/flares). I've seen stable servers like the 504th with its 30+ mbps connection (IIRC) lag out when there is enough people on it doing this.

I'd say 99% of the time is isnt people cheating on purpose but just traffic probs.

It's time the McCarthy witchhunts stopped.

250 ping is fine for lomac, you shouldn't be seeing someone warp like this if you both had ~250. If one of you was +500 or 600 I'd expect to see what you were seeing, however 250 is usually silky smooth, as opposed to first person shooters, for which it is high.

3Sqn - Largest distributor of Flanker, Fulcrum and Frogfoot parts in the Black Sea Region

having a ping of 250 in 56K modem is worse than having a ping of 400 in ADSL. I found out that the connection speed is more important than ping for LOMAC and that the ping doesnt always make a good match for your connection if it gets overloaded and misses packets.

[sigpic]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic4448_29.gif[/sigpic]

My PC specs below:

Case: Corsair 400C

PSU: SEASONIC SS-760XP2 760W Platinum

CPU: AMD RYZEN 3900X (12C/24T)

RAM: 32 GB 4266Mhz (two 2x8 kits) of trident Z RGB @3600Mhz CL 14 CR=1T

MOBO: ASUS CROSSHAIR HERO VI AM4

GFX: GTX 1080Ti MSI Gaming X

Cooler: NXZT Kraken X62 280mm AIO

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1TB M.2+6GB WD 6Gb red

HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog + CH pro pedals

Monitor: Gigabyte AORUS AD27QD Freesync HDR400 1440P

Well- I don't see any flares in that shot, and I didn't absolutely conclude that he was cheating- I simply offered 2 possibilities with limited info to work with. The flares definitely do cause lag issues- I think this effect is quite severe when on the ground or carrier. Much more so than in the air.

Yesterday when I was flying in 504th server I suddenly had major fps or lag problems when looking forward. Really bad stuttering. Funnily I had no problems when looking left or right. On the airfield another plane also taxied on its side etc.

Then I was shot at bvr and my fps went down to 1-2fps and it became impossible to try to avoid the missile.

So, lagging or low fps can be bad when experienced from inside. Can't imagine what my problems and flying looked from outside. Was I warping or did it look normal me just flying straight doing roll after roll until I was hit... Like I said no chance to avoid anything when that happens.

OK, there is 2 different problems here: lagging and low fps. Maybe the thing I experienced was different than what was described in the first post?

When I logged out and rejoined the problem was gone.

Funny how I ask about cheating and today got accused of it. I barely dodged an AM-120 in my MiG-29 thanks to tactics I learned from Ironhand (and I nailed the other guy with an R-77) and the guy types "next time don't use the print screen button FrankTheSpank!".... :noexpression:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I "think" what could also add up to tha lag problem is all kinds of mods

and scripts running on some servers... anything from ATC to whoknowswhat. As far as PrtScr and other tricks... I got used to it.:joystick:

Yesterday, when flying on "some" server I came to a conclusion that

I`d be better off without any missiles. 50% fuel and GUNZ. Flying low

and trimming crimean trees and occasional SU33... I nailed one but it

wasn`t recognized by "some" server... oh well, back to RL.

Taking screenshots does.

[sigpic]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic4448_29.gif[/sigpic]

My PC specs below:

Case: Corsair 400C

PSU: SEASONIC SS-760XP2 760W Platinum

CPU: AMD RYZEN 3900X (12C/24T)

RAM: 32 GB 4266Mhz (two 2x8 kits) of trident Z RGB @3600Mhz CL 14 CR=1T

MOBO: ASUS CROSSHAIR HERO VI AM4

GFX: GTX 1080Ti MSI Gaming X

Cooler: NXZT Kraken X62 280mm AIO

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1TB M.2+6GB WD 6Gb red

HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog + CH pro pedals

Monitor: Gigabyte AORUS AD27QD Freesync HDR400 1440P

IMHO, this COULD be a cheap, maybe not a printscreen thing, but it can be alot of things, but at the same time it could be nothing more than a bandwith issue from the missiles.

If you think about it, how hard can it be to map a button on your joystick or keyboard to launch a program or similar, or just copying data using alot of memory doing so?. You could create such a "cheat" where you press a key loading a program or data, forcing a huge drop of framerates making your warp. You could use some trial and error on this so you only load for a short while so you stop warping after a second or so.

I am not saying the person is cheating, I'm just saying this is a way to cheat.

PS, I do not like cheating, and I do not encourage it. Cheating is bad, Mmm'kay? It ruins the fun for everyone involved

/Nasder, "I came, I saw, I got shot down."