Roland search radar, name, designation, info ?

Robin_Hood

Hi all, I have what would seem to be a simple question: in the sim, Germany has two Roland vehicles, the Roland ADS and the Roland Radar (or Roland EWR). I am wondering, anyone know where to find more information about that search radar ? Name, designation or something ? I haven't been able to find a single picture matching it, or reference to it. The closest I have come is some sites mention the CORAD (Coordinated Roland Air Defense) system, that may use a surveillance radar, but no info on that radar.

I'm kinda curious what is this strange beast.

Hi all, I have what would seem to be a simple question: in the sim, Germany has two Roland vehicles, the Roland ADS and the Roland Radar (or Roland EWR). I am wondering, anyone know where to find more information about that search radar ? Name, designation or something ? I haven't been able to find a single picture matching it, or reference to it. The closest I have come is some sites mention the CORAD (Coordinated Roland Air Defense) system, that may use a surveillance radar, but no info on that radar.

I'm kinda curious what is this strange beast.

Have you tried the dcs encyclopedia

The encyclopedia tells you zip, which is why he's asking.

Looks like it's just the search radar of the Roland system on a mast, probably to enhance the survivability of the shooters and is deployed with a battery, most likely.

It Looks like a FGR (FlugabwehrGefechtsstand Roland) on tracks... Though I wonder, why I can only find pictures of the Roland II type on wheels.

FGR has a better range (some 60km?) and supports a group of air defence, not necessarily only Roland FRRs.

It could also be some adaption of the Giraffe radar, but that is typically mounted on a truck, as well.

It looks more or less, like a separate Roland Search radar, but I can't remember to have seen one IRL.

Would make sense to not expose the launchers, but that is why the FGR was introduced... At least with my little knowledge on the subject.

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VIRPIL CM 50 Stick & Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

It's my understanding that it's part of the Roland II system which uses a mast mounted radar vehicle in addition to the Roland missile vehicle itself. This combination provided increased target detection and missile guidance in all weather conditions. But that's all I have. Of course, as always, I reserve the right to be completely wrong.

This might be an example of it here (in case this doesn't link right, it's at 2:29)

Edited by Ironhand

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1...CR6IZ7crfdZxDg

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

It's my understanding that it's part of the Roland II system which uses a mast mounted radar vehicle in addition to the Roland missile vehicle itself. This combination provided increased target detection and missile guidance in all weather conditions. But that's all I have. Of course, as always, I reserve the right to be completely wrong.

This might be an example of it here (in case this doesn't link right, it's at 2:29)

Yep, that is the Roland II FGR. The container version (SARO), it seems. The german Bundeswehr used a MAN Truck to mount the SARO assembly, where the FGR was mobile on the wheeled truck.

I cannot remember any tracked version of the FGR, though. Different countries used different "platforms" ranging from Marder-chassis, M109-chassis to MAN truck mounted for the FRR (launchers), but I've only ever seen the FGR mounted on wheeled trucks... :huh:

Curious, if the Marder-chassis with search-radar on a crane was a concept, that never made it into operations, or if this was actually deployed, somewhere?

A link to a german page about the FGR/SARO on MAN:

http://flarakgrp42.de/technik/rolandfgr/index.html

And a photograph from wikipedia:

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Datei:FGR-Roland.jpg

Shagrat

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VIRPIL CM 50 Stick & Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

The model for the Roland EWR shown in the game is the so-called "Tieffliegerüberwachungsradar" "(TÜR)". It was a monitoring radar, which was based on a "Marder" chassis. This project has been discontinued after the construction of a prototype.

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/T%C3%9CR

Good find! So it is basically a prototype that didn't make it. And the FGR / Roland II later took its intended role of a coordinated air defence net and overall picture from multiple radar sections.

Thanks for the info.

Shagrat

FGR

I worked 3 years at the SAM Sytem Roland in Germany as a missile operator, maybe the following facts can help a bit.

FGR stands for Führungs-Gefechts-Stand/Fire-Control-Unit

The FGR is a radar which can detect targets at approx. 60 km distance and up to 6000m, it has a 2D Doppler-Radar. The Roland Lunchers (FRR) are connected with a Data Link (wire or radio) to the FGR. So they can see what the FGR does, the FGR can detect up to 127 targets and track 50 of them. The FGR can work with up to 10 Roland II Systems with the Data Link and can be connected to 30 other SAM Systems. A normal Roland SAM group in Germany were six FRR and one FGR, as long the FGR was in search mode, the FRR's didn't use their radars.

In Germany we used four SAM Systems ... Stinger for the close range, Roland for low level 9m up to 3000m and 6km range, Hawk for medium range 3000m up to 13000m, 25km range, and Patriot for long range 13000 up to 45000m and 70km range. All systems worked as one group.

Here you can see the FGR and FRR in action

${1}