Acer 2k monitor

From what I've read the contrast and colors, as well as the response times on the monitor are pretty great.

Since it's the same size as your 1080p monitor though, Im not sure if you will be happy with spotting contacts at a distance. The way that DCS renders contacts at a distance (as a single dot, or pixel) now doesn't scale well with increased resolution (if your monitor size remains the same)

However the increased pixel density as well as the improved color and contrast is probably worth the tradeoff, as within visual range you should have a much easier time of tracking targets, which IMO is more important.

Not to mention the fact that your cockpits will look much more crisp, and all the instruments and gauges will be noticably easier to read at a glance.

I think you will be happy with the purchase, although personally I would go for a larger monitor at the same resolution (1440p).

Edited by OnlyforDCS

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

I think you will be happy with the purchase, although personally I would go for a larger monitor at the same resolution (1440p).

This :thumbup:

Gigabyte Z390 Gaming X | i7 9700K@5.0GHz | Gainward Phantom GS RTX 3080 | 32GB DDR4@3200MHz | HP Reverb | TrackIR 5 | TM Warthog HOTAS | MFG Croswinds | DCS PD 1.0 / Steam VR SS 170%

I believe this kind of pixel density (2K) does not make any sense for 25". You get enough resolution with a regular HD (1080). But if you step up to 27"-34" then yes 2K or QHD becomes a value.

i5-9600K@4.8GHz 32Gb DDR4 Asus TUF rtx3080 OC Quest Pro Warthog on Virpil base

I used to use, still do but not for gaming, a Dell 27"@1440. It was quite a nice upgrade from my previous 1680x1050 monitor.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

I used to use, still do but not for gaming, a Dell 27"@1440. It was quite a nice upgrade from my previous 1680x1050 monitor. Go bigger if possible but 27" is a good match for that resolution.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

From what I've read the contrast and colors, as well as the response times on the monitor are pretty great.

Since it's the same size as your 1080p monitor though, Im not sure if you will be happy with spotting contacts at a distance. The way that DCS renders contacts at a distance (as a single dot, or pixel) now doesn't scale well with increased resolution (if your monitor size remains the same)

However the increased pixel density as well as the improved color and contrast is probably worth the tradeoff, as within visual range you should have a much easier time of tracking targets, which IMO is more important.

Not to mention the fact that your cockpits will look much more crisp, and all the instruments and gauges will be noticably easier to read at a glance.

This guy has some good info. If I may add.. personally I was worried about upgrading from my 27" 1080p asus to my Acer x34 due to the higher resolution and the effect it might have on contact visibility.

After getting the monitor however those fears changed. The Acer x34 has much better picture quality and color/brightness/contrast management.. and this actually made it easier to see contacts in the air with the added benefit of more screen surface and FoV. The only thing I might have done different is go for a 3 monitor setup rather than one semi large screen with a semi high resolution. But, I settled on the Acer x34 as I feel like my system will be able to handle 3440x1440 for a longer time period than 5760x1080 as programmers begin to adapt to newer technology. Although.. most developers are programming for xbox and playstation.. so I imagine it will be awhile before video games catch up with hardware.

Spoiler

Win 11 Pro, z790 i9 13900k, RTX 4090 , 64GB DDR 6400GB, OS and DCS are on separate pci-e 4.0 drives 

Sim hardware - VKB MCG Ultimate with 200mm extension, Virpil T-50CM3 Dual throttles.   Blackhog B-explorer (A), TM Cougar MFD's (two), MFG Crosswinds with dampener.   Obutto R3volution gaming pit.  

Thanks.

Do you think a 27" 144Hz 1080p monitor is another good option?

It's probably a good option if you wan't to turn off vsync. However I think you won't be that happy with it. High refresh monitors usually suffer from poor contrast and color gamut (this is not necessarily true, but without you listing the monitor type/make can't tell) and your resolution will remain the same.

Try to find a 27" IPS 1440p monitor. I think BenQ makes one that is probably the best value for money right now. They are not a famous brand, and you can't find them everywhere but they work great.

I think this is the model: BenQ GW2765HT

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

No matter what size and resolution, I'd make sure it has Gsync for Nvidia or FreeSync if you run an AMD card. THAT makes a big difference imho.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

Well, I decided to go with an Asus MG28UQ 28" 4K monitor....Wow!

This thing is a beast! It is amazing. In DCS 1.5/2.0 on High settings, I get around 35-40fps. Outside view and flyby view it dips to single digits, but that's okay.

I saw a review of this monitor on YouTube and was impressed. I had looked at the older model, but thankfully I didn't buy it as it has 30hz hdmi connections.

Very happy with my purchase