Great Looking F-5

jeffreymg

I am a flight instructor in North Florida and across from our hangars a pilot owns a F-5 and a L-39 and he was flying them down with another pilot to Sun and Fun yesterday. They both have been repainted and I hope that the pictures of them will attach here.

Jeffg

IMG_0447.thumb.JPG.6eb4739f9078cf90ce7a2459e069744e.JPG

IMG_0448.thumb.JPG.fced5d4b947f33f0b9dcfa6265e5f0f0.JPG

IMG_0453.thumb.JPG.43be330bba9fa620fe9ad55acfb9e772.JPG

Jeffrey Gerbert

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know what (or where I could find) information on the operating the F5 as a private citizen. Im just wondering about monetary costs for stiff like fuel, oil, tires, insurwnce, engine rehauls etc. Would these aircraft have a high re sell value considering the very large cost you are investing into these. Any information would be highly appreciated

Does anyone know what (or where I could find) information on the operating the F5 as a private citizen. Im just wondering about monetary costs for stiff like fuel, oil, tires, insurwnce, engine rehauls etc. Would these aircraft have a high re sell value considering the very large cost you are investing into these. Any information would be highly appreciated

I'd like to be your Neighbor, or Pool Boy. ;) :)

would be interesting to see what the private operating costs are. Of course, how much you wish to fly, will drive it too... :pilotfly:

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

https://www.quora.com/How-much-would-it-cost-to-privately-own-and-operate-a-MiG-21

http://jalopnik.com/maintaining-vintage-a-russian-mig-17-is-ridiculously-co-1676509391

And that is the effort for some of the most produced single-engined fighters in the world. A set of new batteries for those alone will set you back 80-90k.

The costs to operate the (twin-engined) F-5 should be MUCH higher.

It is like buying a second-hand supercar: the resale prices are rediculously low, but maintenance is what breaks the bank.

The purchase price for the aircraft depends on who you're buying them from. When the RNoAF retired our last F-5s in 2007, 15 of them were offered to a company in Texas (run by the son of a former US presidential candidate) for approximately $700.000 each. The deal fell through, but two planes (F-5Bs in very good condition) were left in Texas. When they were finally sold in 2014, Northern General Leasing LLC paid $15.000 for each of them. But the Norwegian defense logistics agency have also been selling (and I'm not making this up!) former naval vessels (MTBs and a large support vessel) to Nigerian pirates, so their sense of judgment, and thus pricing, is a bit fishy to say the least.

As for operating costs: I don't have any exact numbers, but to quote luxury car dealers: "if you have to ask, you can't afford it". $3-5000 per hour is an educated guess.

Okay thanks I am looking into one day getting an L39/L29 (hopefully) and was simply curious. I hope to somehow get my hands on a static display of a MiG-21/23 and restore it too good (non-flying) condition. I've searched and read a lot on this topic of owning these jets, but sadly can't find that much material that goes into great details. Be interesting to get my hand on an F-5 in none flying condition. Thanks!

For interest, a Canadian T-33 costs approximately 3000 Canadian dollars per hour to operate, that's one Rolls Royce Nene engine vs. two afterburning J85s, not to mention spare parts.

Hawk One, a Canadair Sabre based in Quebec, Canada, has sadly been put up for sale due to high operating costs. The mind boggles at the defense spending of the Cold War era when we had 12 squadrons of Sabres overseas and another 12 twin engined jet interceptors based at home...

Okay thanks I am looking into one day getting an L39/L29 (hopefully) and was simply curious. I hope to somehow get my hands on a static display of a MiG-21/23 and restore it too good (non-flying) condition. I've searched and read a lot on this topic of owning these jets, but sadly can't find that much material that goes into great details. Be interesting to get my hand on an F-5 in none flying condition. Thanks!

I have heard about $1k per hour for an L39 when fuel is cheap. It burns 280gph at cruise.

edit: I just checked JetA at my local airport and its $4.00 (good bit more that I assumed).. So L39 is probably between 1,500 to 2,000 an hour to operate.

Edited by motoford

f-5

The purchase price for the aircraft depends on who you're buying them from. When the RNoAF retired our last F-5s in 2007, 15 of them were offered to a company in Texas (run by the son of a former US presidential candidate) for approximately $700.000 each. The deal fell through, but two planes (F-5Bs in very good condition) were left in Texas. When they were finally sold in 2014, Northern General Leasing LLC paid $15.000 for each of them. But the Norwegian defense logistics agency have also been selling (and I'm not making this up!) former naval vessels (MTBs and a large support vessel) to Nigerian pirates, so their sense of judgment, and thus pricing, is a bit fishy to say the least.

As for operating costs: I don't have any exact numbers, but to quote luxury car dealers: "if you have to ask, you can't afford it". $3-5000 per hour is an educated guess.

Guess ill only have 3-5 hrs of fun before my bank acc is empty..lol

The "SCALES" of aeronautical performance will weigh heavily on your next move..

• 2 weeks later...