Current Beta test version

Weta43

Hi,

From memory as we got close to FC being released, E.D. (or the testers) were telling us when a new beta version was released to the testers - that way we could see that things were moving.

Any chance of something in the top right corner of the forum page with the current version number? "Now testing version b2.125, RelDt. 1/11/06"

Cheers.

Well to put it nicely, just leave them alone. The purpose of a beta test is that it's closed to the public, and them releasing a build number is just outright pointless since it doesn't matter. It doesn't affect me, you or any other person who's not on the testing team, so it'd be a waste of time for them to tell us. Sure it kinda gives us an idea on progress, but really deep down does it matter? Just let them handle their business and leave them alone, as it's not going to speed anything up (who can say the next build is so jacked up that it will extend the time beyond what they predicted?) and just make more "Hurry up ED!!!!!!! PLZ!!!!!!!!!!" posts, causing incessant flame wars, speculation, etc. that most people here just plainly don't care about. They'll let us know in their own good time.

• Like 4

LOMAC Section| | Gaming Resume (PDF) | Gallery | Flanker2.51 Storage Site |

Also known as Flanker562 back in the day...

Steam ID EricJ562 | DCS: A-10A/C Pilot | DCS: Su-25T Pilot | Texture Artist

"...parade ground soldiers always felt that way (contempt) about killers in uniform." -Counting The Cost, Hammer's Slammers

Did you get out of bed on the wrong side this morning buddy? Are you Ed's mother looking out for them? Or can you not actually read what I said in my post without remembering the content of others?

There is no prod to hurry anybody up in the post & no question of when the release date will be.

The point was - & I quote you here - "it kinda gives us an idea on progress"

The idea that things are moving, something is happening & that the developers haven't ground to a halt on the project.

People obviously ARE interested in how things are progressing, otherwise we wouldn't have polls on the front page asking if everyone is sick of waiting for the release.

Some indication that testing is progressing might at least stop some of the whining you're so obviously sick of.

With a quick search I found that actually, while there was no sticky or tag, testers were keeping us up to date on Beta versions prior to LOFC release:

http://forum.lockon.ru/showthread.php?t=11102&highlight=beta+version

And being civil about it.

• Like 1

Cheers.

No, it's just he and some others are getting sick of the whining and complaing of how people want it done now instead of waiting for a good product that is bug free or 99% bug free and will end up being an amazing product even though I don't agree with the new addon I am still going to buy it and attempt to learn to fly it as well as appreciate it but no matter what I would rather have a fine tuned finished product rather then a rushed half ass one.

• Like 1

Weta,

A beta build can be in testing for a week...or a month depending on the nature of work required for the following one, so knowing the current beta number wouldn't really tell you anything about the overall progress :) .

Cheers,

- JJ.

JJ

OK, if no-one feels it would add anything then that's fine with me.

As an aside - there's a few people who could realy try dealing with the content of the post they're replying to, & not run off on some rant (just like the one I'm having now :-) about the content of other posts they've read on the forum.

For those above with trouble with their reading comprehension - I didn't ask for - or mention - a release date for B.S., or ask anyone to hurry up, or give a list of work done, I asked for something that (despite justsomekyle's absolute insistance that such a thing would never happen), happened sporadically before the release of FC, & kept a few people happy when it did.

Again - I realise that releasing changing build numbers doesn't give any indication of the immanence of a release build, but it does indicate that features are being added & tested, bugs are being found or bugs are being fixed - all of which we assume are happening in the background, but which having more evidence of is reasuring.

Cheers.

To be honest have'nt seen that many requests for updates compared to prev patch releases. Does'nt seem to be the same level of interset for a helo. If ED wants to drum up some enthusiasm maybe letting some details of what non-helo related features are likely.

Actually no I'm not trying to be ED's mother hen or whatnot. I could have been less civil so being a bit rude about it was the way I went since I've gotten sick of it quite a bit. I've done testing back then and it just gets to me when posts are like that. Sure you're asking for updates which of course isn't a crime, but again, ED will let us know in their good time, and I tend to sit by patiently having been through that process.

LOMAC Section| | Gaming Resume (PDF) | Gallery | Flanker2.51 Storage Site |

Also known as Flanker562 back in the day...

Steam ID EricJ562 | DCS: A-10A/C Pilot | DCS: Su-25T Pilot | Texture Artist

"...parade ground soldiers always felt that way (contempt) about killers in uniform." -Counting The Cost, Hammer's Slammers

Forum: a place for civil discussion of topics of common interest

This is a FORUM for LOMAC_FC_BS and any questions about forthcomming new releases are valid.

I think Mr. EricJ ought to rethink his rude american style STFU response to a simple polite question by Weta43.

I found it quite repulsive.

I also remember that Beta #'s were being openly reffered to by the Beta Testers prior to the FC addon release.

Regards,

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Christopher M

Actually, I bought LockOn:FC in anticipation of Black Shark. I was once a avid Flanker 1/1.5/2/2.5 fan but lost interest to other things. Now that I am reaquainted with the Sukois and the MiG I no longer feel a burning interest in the helo portion of the add-on but rather the improvements to aspects of the game we are already familiar with--particularly the application of real physics to AI aircraft. With or without the anticipated improvements I love the game as it is and checking for release updates is no longer on my to-do list.

Smokin'Hole

Smokin' Hole

My DCS wish list: Su25, Su30, Mi24, AH1, F/A-18C, Afghanistan ...and frankly, the flight sim world should stop at 1995.

Guest IguanaKing

Yup, Weta's post is perfectly valid...it was only a request, and the Beta testers didn't seem offended by it, so I don't quite understand why some people who aren't on the beta test team have such a problem with it. Did it ever occur to his detractors that maybe he, like many of us here, are just interested in how the whole process works?...maybe we'd like to be beta testers ourselves some day. I believe it would be excellent PR for ED, but I also realize (as I'm sure Weta does) that they can't always make everybody happy. It doesn't hurt anybody to make the suggestion though. :D

If it's that certain that the addon won't be released this year, would it not be possible to change the anticipated release date on the front of the site?

Lt. Commander Block: Every aerial photo and recon report indicate a defensive arsenal in the D, and perhaps negative C, categories. There's also some anti-aircraft squadrons.

Admiral Benson: I don't have a clue what you're talkin' about, Phil. Not a clue. I have a shell the size of a fist in my head. Pork Chop Hill. The only way I can make this toupee to stay on is by magnetizing the entire upper left quadrant of my skull, so you just go ahead and do what you do.

Developers very rarely release the progress of their games. There is absolutely no point in continuing to spam the forums with threads asking for updates on Black Shark. ED is not going to release that information to you.

No one mention Fighter ops. It might be an eye opener :music_whistling:

P.s. Good for you Weta.

Black-shark expansion will be great sim, can't wait for buy it and fly in ka-50 hokun expansion. Will sell well but no with starforce protection...

:joystick:

Unfortunately for some, Black Shark WILL come with Starforce.

If you have something against Starforce, that's just too bad . . . . . ED don't look like they're going to change their minds.

Unfortunately for some, Black Shark WILL come with Starforce.

If you have something against Starforce, that's just too bad . . . . . ED don't look like they're going to change their minds.

Judging by the poll on the top of the forum, I don't think so - ED is in doubts.

Besides, FC was pirated, can be found on net. It's a hassle to install, but it can be done, if you really wanted to.

All in all, I would prefer something that checks cd-key when flying on-line, since BS should just ROCK on-line, night ops in Ka-50 and all. This is the first time I'm seriously considering joining a squadron.

mt-2003-sun-corona.jpg

I and many others haven't had a single problem with SF. It surely has stopped the pirates.

The only problem I have with starforce is my DVD burner will no longer burn directly from Windows anymore after I install a program with starforce. It works fine using Nero or Roxio. I can live with it though. But because I have seen it cause some minor issues on my system I do believe people that say it causes bigger problems for them.

As for the pirates, as far as I know the DL version of FC has not been cracked. But the GOLD version of FC is. It's freely available on net and starforce CD protection is easily, easily bypassed. Armed Assault was released a few weeks ago with Starforce CD protection and was cracked in days if not minutes. The DL version though with the activations has not been cracked as far as I know. I don't mind the activations too much, it can be a problem cause I do upgrade my hardware quite frequentley - several times a year something is coming out of my box and a new piece going in. But I still have like 6 or 7 activations so really that should last me a few more years.

Do u know if we will need to use DUAL activations for BS and FC or I wonder how that will work once BS comes out? Because I will definitley use up the 6-7 activations I have left on FC before my BS ones are used up.

The biggest problem with copy-protection-systems such as Starforce is that they work through "virtual" drivers or other shady mechanisms.

This makes compatibility wither future OS's shaky at best.

Just look at the x64 versions of Windows (XP and Vista).

An update of Starforce is required, otherwise it doesn't work.

In the meanwhile, 10 year-old games with simple cd-checks work without a hitch ...

Just imagine that Starforce went bankrupt a year ago, then there wouldn't be a Vista update... and the games would not work. Then you have to rely on the game's publisher/developer to issue a new version with another copy-protection-system (that works) ...