Where to start if I want a 3 monitor setup?

I'd say so. Don't forget where you're putting it. Will your desk or simply fit and support them? I've done dual screen before, but never 3. And not for DCS, so I'm unsure of much else.

Fit on desk

Gpu able to handle them all.

Power plugs.

Owned: Ryzen 3900x, MSI AMD 470x mobo, 32gb 3200MHz ram, Gtx 1660 Ti, 970 Evo Plus 500GB, MsFFB2, TIR5, TMWH+18c Stick, MFG Crosswinds, Buttkicker/SSA, WinWing F-18C . Next is VR for simpit

Art Of The Kill:

Any recent gaming grade GPU will be able to support three monitors. Tell Windows to extend your displays and arrange them side by side. Within DCS you will then need to set the resolution to the sum of your monitors.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

I run three HDTVs from my Gfx card and one 27" monitor for my gauges from the on-board display adapter. You may or may not need an adapter, depending on the card you choose.

I've recently done testing with O/C'ing my gfx card and my FPS are going through the roof. I could not be happier. 4080x1920 (DCS) 6000x1920 Windows. Actually saw triple digit FPS while in a full AO server today (near water).

Best of luck with your setup!

Well besides having 3 monitors...what do I need to start? A graphics card that has at least 3 outputs? :joystick:

Firstly, count a total resolution, and try to gather any info on what kind of graphic card you would need to purchase in order to get enough FPS with that resolution. For example, I'm running a 2 monitor setup with total 2560x2640 on gtx 970, and I rarely see FPS dropping lower than 60, but I fee like that is pretty much a limit. If I add another HD monitor the game will become unplayable (to my taste at least).

Secondly, think of a layout, how 3 monitors will give you a feel of a cockpit. What size are they going to be. If they are say 24" then you will have a wide angle of horizontal view, but you will lack an output in vertical plane. I personally like either 2 mon or 4 mon setups, where a small gauge monitor is at the bottom, and something huge (one or three of them) is above it.

Edited by sea2sky

i5-9600K@4.8GHz 32Gb DDR4 Asus TUF rtx3080 OC Quest Pro Warthog on Virpil base

You probably won't like using two monitor for your main display. Having a big black bar in the middle of the cockpit/hud/gunsight will likely become an issue.

Most people that are using two (like myself), are using one for the main view and the second for gauges via Helios or Ikarus.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Yeah, I was doing 2 screen for battlefield bad company 2 and cranking out college papers

Owned: Ryzen 3900x, MSI AMD 470x mobo, 32gb 3200MHz ram, Gtx 1660 Ti, 970 Evo Plus 500GB, MsFFB2, TIR5, TMWH+18c Stick, MFG Crosswinds, Buttkicker/SSA, WinWing F-18C . Next is VR for simpit

Art Of The Kill:

Your 3 screens will be connect to your video card. A recent graphic card has 4 outputs. A GTX1070 can run 3 monitors.

I don't recommend a 3 screen's setup. You can't get rid of the bezels.

Edited by Demon_

Attache ta tuque avec d'la broche.

I don't recommend a 3 screen's setup. You can't get rid of the bezels.

Bezels can be minimized if you shop for monitors with smaller bezels or overlapping the bezels on really thin monitors. My bezels add up to approximately 1-1.5 centimeters with only slight overlap. I thought it'd be a bigger issue but with that much real estate, you quickly forget its there since your eyes are looking at a perceived point in the distance. You look past where the bezels are and stop noticing really quickly. In some aircraft, the bezels almost look appropriate as cockpit glass frames.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Edited by AesclepiusCrow

You probably won't like using two monitor for your main display. Having a big black bar in the middle of the cockpit/hud/gunsight will likely become an issue.

Most people that are using two (like myself), are using one for the main view and the second for gauges via Helios or Ikarus.

Well, that is exactly what I meant. Here is my setup, in any cockpit I manage to run a horizontal bezel somewhat in between the HUD area and the beginning of the indicator panel, so it is never an issue. Not saying that you stop noticing a bezel as soon as you start playing.

picture.php?albumid=1351&pictureid=8796

I will post more detailed images on the weekend, but basically what I started with is - I took an old solid wood computer desk and turned it into a stand for the top monitor. The desk is only about 30 inches in width. Then I cut it along the side and made it very narrow just to accommodate the monitor's stand. Then I started to build all around it. First thing was a mini stand for the bottom monitor, and then handles to attach my button boxes and other stuff.

Well, that is exactly what I meant. Here is my setup, in any cockpit I manage to run a horizontal bezel somewhat in between the HUD area and the beginning of the indicator panel, so it is never an issue. Not saying that you stop noticing a bezel as soon as you start playing.

picture.php?albumid=1351&pictureid=8796

Thus, that is why I have a "T"-setup, 3 monitors horizontal and a monitor down from center - to see the instruments all the time.

| VR goggles | Autopilot panel | Headtracker | TM HOTAS | G920 HOTAS | MS FFB 2 | Throttle Quadrants | 8600K | GTX 1080 | 64GB RAM| Win 10 x64 | Voicerecognition | 50" UHD TV monitor | 40" 1080p TV monitor | 2x 24" 1080p side monitors | 24" 1080p touchscreen |

Thus, that is why I have a "T"-setup, 3 monitors horizontal and a monitor down from center - to see the instruments all the time.

that is right, but one can always evolve from the setup like mine to 3 monitor setup just by adding two side monitors.

Bezels can be minimized if you shop for monitors with smaller bezels or overlapping the bezels on really thin monitors. My bezels add up to approximately 1-1.5 centimeters with only slight overlap. I thought it'd be a bigger issue but with that much real estate, you quickly forget its there since your eyes are looking at a perceived point in the distance. You look past where the bezels are and stop noticing really quickly. In some aircraft, the bezels almost look appropriate as cockpit glass frames.

Even with overlaps thin bezels(0.8cm), i can't get rid of the bezels.

My stuff

dualMonitor_dual.jpg

Attache ta tuque avec d'la broche.

This, and the stretching that occurs with landscape oriented monitors, is why I have a single 40" display.

Even with overlaps thin bezels(0.8cm), i can't get rid of the bezels.

My stuff

dualMonitor_dual.jpg

Note though that I didn't say get rid of, I said it minimizes the presence of the issue. Remember the OP asked about triple screen, not about removing bezels. Bezels may not be an issue for him.

I never minded my bezels, they're small and I overlapped them, they're cheapish BenQ 27" 1080p monitors. Eventually moved on to a single ultrawide display though, almost every other game besides DCS needs Nvidia Surround to work properly and surround is really awful.

I've never bothered using the lower monitor to extend the in game view, I prefer to use it for exporting displays.

hPF1neS.jpg

PHHmMoa.jpg?1

Either solution beats a standard 16:9 1080p monitor IMO. I've played on my room mates 40" 1080p TV and don't like nearly as much as either of my setups.

fIUaydt.jpg

Edited by Deezle

Intel 9600K@4.9GHz, Asus Z390, 32GB DDR4, EVGA RTX 3070, Custom Water Cooling, 970 EVO 1TB NVMe

34" UltraWide 3440x1440 Curved Monitor, 21" Touch Screen MFD monitor, TIR5

My Pit Build, VKB Gunfighter Pro w/WH Grip, TMWH Throttle, MFG Crosswinds W/Combat Pedals, Cougar MFDs, Custom A-10C panels, Custom Helo Collective, SimShaker with Transducer