*** FEATURE PREVIEW: MOBILE GROUND CREW ***

RagnarDa

• 5 months later...

How to use the feature once in the game:

Have a look at the attached example mission. When you start the mission land on the road that you are aligned toward when you start (after you passed the city). Further down the road a ground crew are waiting for you, near an intersection. Taxi close to them. There are two reference-points added in this mission (9201 and 9202). On you datapanel, turn the data-selector to REF/LOLA, switch input/output-switch to IN and input 9202 and push L/MÅL. If you have the ground-crew page up in the kneeboard and selected the option to relocate to L1 it should tell you it will take the ground crew approximately 22 minutes to get there. You don’t need to use a reference-point, you can also use arbitrary coordinates. Once you are happy with your settings confirm it and after the rearming and refueling is finished take-off, fly around for 22 minutes, and then land on L1 where the ground crew will be waiting for you. In the mission there are also examples of a stationary ground crew near a small airfield and one that is controlled through the radio/mission triggers (F10-menu).

Happy rearming!

I could enter the IP-point(9202) in the ck37,

but the point have got other coordinates.

The navigationsystem direct my Viggen to a totaly other direction.

There are a lot of reference points in the kneeboard but I could not overwrite it with a new IP-point.

Does anyone have a solution?

I think Leatherneck had made a video about the Bas-System years ago.

But I couldn´t find it at YT.

Kneeboard1.thumb.png.adba6adc51f0c44d0107371fb5eef904.png

Kneeboard2.png.49f51a522ab8c41349127d9a2cd5847b.png

Edited by Steph-JJ

"You want me to fly in the back of a tiny little jet with a crazy fighter pilot who thinks he´s invincible,

home in on a SAM site in North Vietnam and shoot it before it shoots me?

You´ve gotta be shittin´me!"

Captain Jack Donovan

• 2 weeks later...

RagnarDa, guys, a question:

Is it necessary that the engine runs, in order "to be near enough"?

I think I didn't ever managed "to be near enough" when my engine was not running.

I did indeed a successful try, but I can't figure out what I changed else (since I changed a lot) ... :music_whistling:

Edit 2019-06-10: It seems that it is required to have the engine RPM above ~20% in order to have the "ground crew settings" visible in the kneeboard ... which is not helpful when ground crew arrives and you don't have engine running (maybe due to low fuel) :doh:

Edit 2019-11-17: PLZ DISREGARD THIS POST, the information given here is wrong, its not the engine. Only electrical power up until CK37 comes online is necessary.

Edited by TOViper

Visit https://www.viggen.training
...Viggen... what more can you ask for?

my computer:
AMD Ryzen 5600G | NVIDIA GTX 1080 Ti OC 11GB | 32 GB 3200 MHz DDR4 DUAL | SSD 980 256 GB SYS + SSD 2TB DCS | TM Warthog Stick + Throttle + TPR | Rift CV1

• 1 month later...

Has anyone tried to land on roads at night? I find it impossible after a few attempts. I use smokes with fire to mark the location of the road but it nos enough. There really is a need for full lighting along the portion of the road used for landing.

Can I add the necessary lighting in the mission editor?

Wishlist: Tornado ADV/IDS, Blackburn Buccaneer, Super Mystère B2, Saab J 35 Draken,

Landing at night on road bases was not really a thing IRL. The swedish air force tasked a group of Viggen pilots with evaluating night landings on roads and they actually did a couple of landings without remote lighting, only relying on their landing lights! The result of this evaluation was, that it was generally possible, but way too dangerous, so the idea was scapped. The main problem was not the landing itself, but after touchdown during braking, the nose gear got compressed too much for the landing lights to light up the road ahead which made it very difficult to see the road and stay on it during braking.

A former Viggen pilot who participated in these tests talks about them in this interview:

Edit: DCS does not allow to place custom TILS beacons.

Edited by QuiGon

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Nice find! Quite interesting.

I hope we will see working landinglights on our Viggens some day. Only the taxi-light is working right now.

Intel Core i7-4770K - ASUS Maximus VI Formula, Socket-1150 - Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 2400MHz 16GB - NVIDIA GTX1080Ti - Eizo 27" LED FlexScan EV2736W-BK, 2560x1440 (Processor, graphiccard and MOS-FET custom watercooled)

• 1 month later...
Introduction:

The BAS-90 system was a dispersed roadbase system used together with the Viggen-system. During the Six-day war the Israeli air-force managed to destroy the majority of the Egyptian air-force while the Egyptian planes was still on the ground. In response to this the Swedish air force wanted to increase the survivability of the ground crew as well as the aircrafts while they were on the ground. During wartime the ground crew and airplanes were distributed to small short road bases that were built around the conventional air bases. The runways were part of the civilian road network and would be closed off when an airplane took-off or landed. The ground crew would rearm the airplane and then quickly disperse to a new location. In DCS the actual road bases are yet not available but the possibility to have a mobile ground crew has been included in the update before last friday’s. The feature is still very much work-in-progress and the current version should be considered a preview. Bugs will happen! Please report them here.

How to place the ground crew in the mission:

In the Mission Editor, create a group of ground units. Normally the group would consist of a lead car of any type, a ammo truck of type “Transport M818” and a fuel truck of type “Tanker M978 HEMTT”. Change the name of the leading car so it starts with exactly “GroundCrew” (without quotes). The name could be “GroundCrew #3” or “GroundCrew BlueFor” or anything similar. Place the units anywhere you are able to get near them once you have landed, this could be anywhere on the map.

How to use the feature once in the game:

Land near the ground crew and taxi as close as you can. Bring up the kneeboard (RShift+K) and turn to the Ground Crew page (use [ and ] to change page). If you are close enough to the ground crew, you should now be able to select loadout, fuel and relocation options. The relocation option is only available if you are flying in single player or if you are the host in multiplayer. If you are too far away from the ground crew the page should warn you about this. Use LAlt+LCtrl+L to cycle the different loadout-options. Use LAlt+LCtrl+F to select how much fuel you’d like. Use LAlt+LCtrl+R to select whether you’d like the ground crew to remain where they are or if they should relocate to your L1 landing base as programmed into the CK37 flight computer. Press LAlt+LCtrl+Enter to confirm your selection and then wait while the ground crew works on the plane. Once you have taken-off again the ground crew might relocate to your L1, if this is what you have selected.

Have a look at the attached example mission. When you start the mission land on the road that you are aligned toward when you start (after you passed the city). Further down the road a ground crew are waiting for you, near an intersection. Taxi close to them. There are two reference-points added in this mission (9201 and 9202). On you datapanel, turn the data-selector to REF/LOLA, switch input/output-switch to IN and input 9202 and push L/MÅL. If you have the ground-crew page up in the kneeboard and selected the option to relocate to L1 it should tell you it will take the ground crew approximately 22 minutes to get there. You don’t need to use a reference-point, you can also use arbitrary coordinates. Once you are happy with your settings confirm it and after the rearming and refueling is finished take-off, fly around for 22 minutes, and then land on L1 where the ground crew will be waiting for you. In the mission there are also examples of a stationary ground crew near a small airfield and one that is controlled through the radio/mission triggers (F10-menu).

Happy rearming!

Hello,

I have a quick question. Is this possible in the Yak-52? I tried this in a mission of my own with the Yak-52 but after scrolling through every page on the kneeboard I can't find the Ground Crew Page. Is there something I am doing wrong or is it just not possible in the Yak-52?

Thanks

Hello,

I have a quick question. Is this possible in the Yak-52? I tried this in a mission of my own with the Yak-52 but after scrolling through every page on the kneeboard I can't find the Ground Crew Page. Is there something I am doing wrong or is it just not possible in the Yak-52?

Thanks

This is for the Viggen only.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

• 2 months later...
RagnarDa, guys, a question:

Is it necessary that the engine runs, in order "to be near enough"?

I think I didn't ever managed "to be near enough" when my engine was not running.

I did indeed a successful try, but I can't figure out what I changed else (since I changed a lot) ... :music_whistling:

Edit 2019-06-10: It seems that it is required to have the engine RPM above ~20% in order to have the "ground crew settings" visible in the kneeboard ... which is not helpful when ground crew arrives and you don't have engine running (maybe due to low fuel) :doh:

Hello folks,

what I can say is that the ground crew only works after the CK37 came online (or any other system during exactly this time).

Ground crew is nearby, coming along the aircrafts position.

Only after bringing the aircraft to live the ground crew then comes "in range".

See

Openbeta, 2.5.5.39384.

Edited by TOViper

my computer:
AMD Ryzen 5600G | NVIDIA GTX 1080 Ti OC 11GB | 32 GB 3200 MHz DDR4 DUAL | SSD 980 256 GB SYS + SSD 2TB DCS | TM Warthog Stick + Throttle + TPR | Rift CV1

Is it possible so we can have the mobile groundcrew working in multiplayer? I mean so we can order the crew around the map and so on?

Are you sure it doesn't work?

I could swear it worked last time I flew the Viggen in MP.

my computer:

Are you sure it doesn't work?

I could swear it worked last time I flew the Viggen in MP.

Hm ok, it might be on some servers then. Im talking like if you play on Blue Flag mp server, it would be cool if you could order the ground crew to a strategic point and then operate the Viggen from a road there and so on.

It should support multiplayer as far as I can tell. The restriction with not being able to move the ground crew is a technical restriction with DCS at this time (it might also prevent some online griefing I think). You should be able to use mission-triggers as a work around right now.

Will it ever be possible to have the groundcrew always availible when you choose the viggen in multiplayer. I mean that we shoud always have the option to move the groundcrew in a multiplayer enviroment. 1 groundcrew should be tied to 1 Viggen always. It just seems that not many servers have the groundcrew availible.

Its just a big part of the viggen and i think the Viggen would be so much more useful in a modern enviroment to be able to rearm closer to the enemies and so on.

Also you really need to make so the groundcrew moves a little faster maybe? Just doesnt feel realistic when the cars are moving like 20-30 km/h? :-)

Edited by Kristoffer79

• 1 month later...

I did a quick test in MP today.

I was host, and flew the Viggen to the ground crew waiting in the fields.

I was able to re-fuel, but not to re-arm.

Current OpenBeta 2.5.5.41371

my computer:

• 4 weeks later...

The module's be out for a while, and I've been eagerly awaiting the possibility as a client to rearm and refuel on roadbases. Is there any focus on this? :) Any ETA?

Burnhard

Periferals - HP Reverb - Viper/Warthog grip on VPC WarBRD base - Virpil Mogoos T-50 Throttle - MFG Crosswind rudders - Gametrix KW 908 // HW - 7700k@4.8 - 32GB@3200 - RTX2080TI // DCS Favourites - AJS37 - SA342 - F-16C :thumbup:

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...