I met a MIG-21 pilot

Reflected

Interesting information shared. The Hungarian officer features in some videos on YT.

As for flying the real thing, I spoke briefly to a MiG-21 pilot during an airshow who had experience on the FL and bisON types.

He stressed on the importance of a good approach, that the MiG-21 had a reducing speed, round out kind of approach and the approach was about 340kmph and touch down about 260 to 280. All speeds for the bisON.

I forgot to ask him how but the almost impossible thing for me is keep the nose gear from hitting the runway immediately after the mains make contact. The "vigorous" pull of the stick in the real things english manual does not help but the simulataneous reducing of throttle and flaring helps.

Just saying.....

Manish.

Did he mention the version he was flying? F-13 was a completely different beast to the bis we have in DCS - more manoucerable, lighter and lower landing speeds...

which version are we flying in DCS? I thought PF.

OP: you rock!

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

• 2 weeks later...
My friend is a MiG21 pilot. I also fly with another one from time to time.

They both fly DCS.

I might get them to answer some questions if you wish.

No promises though.

It would be great to hear what are the most realistic and unrealistic aspects of the DCS module in their opinion, to see how it compares to the real 21.

My friend is a MiG21 pilot. I also fly with another one from time to time.

They both fly DCS.

I might get them to answer some questions if you wish.

No promises though.

Would be interesting if they do share any insight. :thumbup:

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

+1 for getting to know the '21 before meeting the veteran!

Thanks for sharing. Great piece :thumbup:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

-- i7 4790K

-- Club 3D R9 290X Royal Ace SOC

-- Asus Maximus VII Ranger

-- G.Skill Trident X 16GB DDR3-2400 CL10

-- Gelid Tranquillo rev.2

-- Corsair RM850

-- Corsair 760T White

-- Windows 10