Heading hold don't work

Kaliphtan

As you probably know, the AP has about 20% authority over the controls. If you apply more than that, you can override it. In auto hover, you can always yaw the nose left and right as long as you apply enough rudder.

This also depends on your setting for "Rudder Trim" in the options. If that is checked, your rudder will be trimmed along with the other controls whenever you push the trim button, and you can easily trim too much rudder for the AP.

Best thing is if you can reproduce the problem in a short flight and upload a track. Otherwise it's very hard to tell what exactly is going wrong.

In that video you linked it looks to me as if the pilot simply applies too much rudder. I'm not aware of any 5 year old bugs that would affect heading hold in auto hover.

Thank you for your answers first, and when, in the mission editor, i simply spawn a ka-50 already in mid air , he got heading hold active and when i turn the stick just a little bit to the right and not touching it, the plane don't go to the trimmed position (diamond symbol), i mean, i know that he got 20% authority but the plane doesn't even move 1inch to the heading with diamond symbol.

how many degrees is the nose of the heading you want to keep? is it always rotating in one direction or does it just stay?

What are your engine and blade pitch settings and how much weight do you have?

All good questions - that's why I asked for a track. That should answer all of them. ;)

how many degrees is the nose of the heading you want to keep? is it always rotating in one direction or does it just stay?

What are your engine and blade pitch settings and how much weight do you have?

Less than 15-10 degrees, and yeah if i release the stick, it continue moving to the same way,

weights is basic weapon the missile pod + vikhr and full fuel, the standard one, even without, engine is on auto, and blade pitch is around 0 climb.

I watched videos about how to trim it etc, but without heading, trim is kinda useless, and sometimes the altitude hold don't work too, i mean it supposed to change the climb rate to 0 but i keep climbing.

1. Get into a Hover

2. Switch on Automatic turn on Target on the left Console.

3 Switch on Shkval system

4 Move Shkval left and right

- if the Helicopters nose Starts to move into the Direction you did Slew the Shkval after you stopped the slew Heading hold is working.

Also you need always to trim in normal flight. Without trim the Helicopter will try to keep his last heading which has been trimmed. A situation you do not need to trim is as example the situation describerd above.

Wind can also be a reason.

In Altidude Hold you need to engage the Collective break aswell.

Also the Collective has to be in a relative close to what will keep you in level flight anyway.

Altidude Hold should be in Barometric mode here because in Radar Altidude mode the Helicopter can start to climp or descent by itself Corresponding to the Distance to the ground at less than 300 m.

Edited by Isegrim
  • Like 1

"Blyat Naaaaa" - Izlom

1. Get into a Hover

2. Switch on Automatic turn on Target on the left Console.

3 Switch on Shkval system

4 Move Shkval left and right

- if the Helicopters nose Starts to move into the Direction you did Slew the Shkval after you stopped the slew Heading hold is working.

Also you need always to trim in normal flight. Without trim the Helicopter will try to keep his last heading which has been trimmed. A situation you do not need to trim is as example the situation describerd above.

Wind can also be a reason.

In Altidude Hold you need to engage the Collective break aswell.

Also the Collective has to be in a relative close to what will keep you in level flight anyway.

Altidude Hold should be in Barometric mode here because in Radar Altidude mode the Helicopter can start to climp or descent by itself Corresponding to the Distance to the ground at less than 300 m.

I didn't tried it but, i know that when i done it last time it worked, BUT, the problem is when the helicopter have HEADING HOLD mode ON (blue lit), and i turn just a little bit, the ka-50 doesn't even move to the heading point.

I tried it another time :

1. Adding KA-50 in air, so heading hold is active

2. Moving stick to left (2 cm left), the plane keeps going left, and not returning to heading diamond.

Listen, i'm not trying to be very boring but i don't think it comes from me, so i will wait someone from ED's team watching this thread and look'up in their codes or something like that.

Thank you for your answers though

I didn't tried it but, i know that when i done it last time it worked, BUT, the problem is when the helicopter have HEADING HOLD mode ON (blue lit), and i turn just a little bit, the ka-50 doesn't even move to the heading point.

I tried it another time :

1. Adding KA-50 in air, so heading hold is active

2. Moving stick to left (2 cm left), the plane keeps going left, and not returning to heading diamond.

Listen, i'm not trying to be very boring but i don't think it comes from me, so i will wait someone from ED's team watching this thread and look'up in their codes or something like that.

Thank you for your answers though

OK Understood i think this is a Helicopter already in flight Spawn thingy.

Try it like Razor has written and switch HDG Hold off and on again.

"Blyat Naaaaa" - Izlom

Beside, when starting UP i noticed that the heading and altitude autopilot can be activated only, the two others can't, is it normal ?

EDIT:: Isegrim, i did it, what happen is that the helicopter when stable, i activate it, it start going left or right, ( after trimming at heading 150, stable at 150 with my stick, i activate it, and then the helicopter start going right or left)

Edited by Kaliphtan

I guess when you say turn the stick you are using a twist joystick for rudder inputs, would this be correct.... if so and in game adjust the axis tune for the rudder to have a 5 - 10 value dead zone and see what happens.

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate as standard. OpenXR user, Open XR tool kit disabled. Open XR was a massive upgrade for me.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC at the mo. MT user  (2 - 5 fps gain). DCS run at 60Hz.

Vaicom user. Thrustmaster warthog user. MFG pedals with damper upgrade.... and what an upgrade! Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height with brail enhancements to ensure 100% button activation in VR.. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.... you know when you are dropping into VRS with this bad boy.

I guess when you say turn the stick you are using a twist joystick for rudder inputs, would this be correct.... if so and in game adjust the axis tune for the rudder to have a 5 - 10 value dead zone and see what happens.

Hello rogue trooper, no sorry actually i'm using a mouse with a keyboard ;)

Hello rogue trooper, no sorry actually i'm using a mouse with a keyboard ;)

Ahhh!

Oh!

Huh! gotta think about that one..... mouse is for the clicky pit?

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate as standard. OpenXR user, Open XR tool kit disabled. Open XR was a massive upgrade for me.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC at the mo. MT user  (2 - 5 fps gain). DCS run at 60Hz.

Vaicom user. Thrustmaster warthog user. MFG pedals with damper upgrade.... and what an upgrade! Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height with brail enhancements to ensure 100% button activation in VR.. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.... you know when you are dropping into VRS with this bad boy.

There was a bug that did not track heading a few years ago, it was sporadic in nature but I do not think this is what you are seeing.

I will have to take the kamov up to test it, what version (map) are you playing, 1.5 perhaps?

Edited by Rogue Trooper

• 1 month later...

I've been learning the Ka-50 again recently, and stop me if I say something already covered but:

The heading hold fnction does not necesserily turn you to your desired point of navigation.

Activating heading hold, holds you on the heading you are on when activated, you need to actively tell it you want to navigate to a chosen nav point, I think something something flight director?

Anyhoo, generally when flying the Ka-50, it is useful to have the heading hold on a hotas function, as blipping it on and off is quite useful to get stable control over the machine. I find it much easier to execute turns without it on, but find it hard to stabilise without, so I blip it on and off quite regularly.

I've been learning the Ka-50 again recently, and stop me if I say something already covered but:

The heading hold fnction does not necesserily turn you to your desired point of navigation.

Activating heading hold, holds you on the heading you are on when activated, you need to actively tell it you want to navigate to a chosen nav point, I think something something flight director?

To get heading hold to follow selected nav point on pvi800 you need to flip the autopilot switch in the collective to "route mode".

• Like 1

Otter

[...]

Activating heading hold, holds you on the heading you are on when activated, [...]

Afaik, pushing the Trim button with activated heading hold has the effect off confirming the current heading to the autopilot. So no need to push the on/off button.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Looking forward to it, Belsimtek!:thumbup:

Afaik, pushing the Trim button with activated heading hold has the effect off confirming the current heading to the autopilot. So no need to push the on/off button.

Yes I think that is true, of course it will trim the other axes too though, which you might not want/need to do. Also it is often useful to have it deactivated at certain times, in fact I probably only have it on when flying in a straight line or hovering.

To get heading hold to follow selected nav point on pvi800 you need to flip the autopilot switch in the collective to "route mode".

Thats the one!

Edited by p1t1o