Dedicated Server for LockOn ?

Guest 22GCT_Hawk

So, if I want to run a Lomac server on a second computer I need a another copy of the game? Or can I start the game on both computers by swapping the CD from one to another? I think there is no serial number check in Lomac so that should not be a problem.

I am planning to buy a new PC and dedicate the old one for game server use for some of the games I play with friends on line.

What do you think, how many players can I serve without lagging while playing myself with another PC?

Here is the details of my old PC and network:

PC: P4 2.4GHz, 1.5GB RAM, GF6600GT 128MB, ATA133 drives, 100mbps NIC

NW: 100mbps switch, ADSL 2mbps in and 512kbps out.

Any opinions and advice is appreciated.

512kbit/sec is probably good enough for 8-10 clients without running into any major lag problems.

On the server, tweak the "MaxFPS = xx;" option (doesnt exist by default) in graphics.cfg file so it spend less time updating the graphics, and more time running the code. Both the VVS504 servers run with "MaxFPS = 5;"... it doesnt mean the connected clients only see 5fps, it just means it updates the server's own screen less often.

thats some good advice zorlac, it has me baffled as to why such a key ingredient has been left out for so long, i know my friends and i would make use out of a dedicated server, mostly anything worth playing these days has one, why not lockon...

maybe thats why we are still waiting for BS, hehe:music_whistling:

Thanks zorlac, that is good advice indeed as the server is just a server it doesn't need much of screen updating at all. Best if I could just leave it to the map view, is this possible?

Is it better to join the server as "spectator" or include it to coalitions and let him sit on the air field?

dedmac (i think) tries to move the server's screen to map view, but the VVS504 server have that disabled, so it just sits there watching an airfield as a spectator.

dedmac doesnt allow you set the "server" player to join one side of the other