Kneeboard, Mouse-Clickable & More

Flagrum

Some ideas for improving the kneeboard(s):

1. Make it usable with the mouse. Flip next / previous page, Go To page, open a specific section (see #2)

2. Add index tabs (ofc mouse clickable). I.e. one tab "Comms", one tab "Maps", one tab "Check Lists", etc.

Ideally there should be a common set of tabs available across all modules, like the ones mentioned above, but also "Settings" (Gunner settings, Loadout config, etc.) and probably a few more. Module developer decides which of their pages go under which tab.

3. Scratch Pad. Allow the pilot to add free-form notes (typed text). Maybe even mouse-drawings? Or allow the mouse to be used to draw on every page (i.e. circling or underlining important stuff). Maybe these user creations can also (optionally) be saved to be reused between missions.

Good points. There have already been a couple of threads on the very subject. I couldn't find the other one (probably discussed in a thread initially about something else) but here's mine that sprung up some conversation. https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=169459

Could mods merge these perhaps?

Regards,

MikeMikeJuliet

DCS Finland | SF squadron

+1

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

Kneeboard should be a separate-overlay-always-on-top window that could be moved with mouse.

I must disagree. What the kneeboard should be, is an in-cockpit 3D object as part of the clickable cockpit so to speak. Then it would not be in the way and it would work in the current interface. Plus it would be more immersive.

If we *have to have* the kneeboard as it currently is - then yes, I agree. And an ability to rezise.

DCS Finland | SF squadron

I use a 2nd monitor which helps to learn new aircraft or to reference checklists etc. For people getting started that only have one monitor it would be good if a PDF could be viewed by this "separate resizable overlay"

Kneeboard should be a separate-overlay-always-on-top window that could be moved with mouse.

I was also thinking why not have tabs at the top and allow you to use your default browser like chrome etc in one of the tabs. This would allow you to watch YouTube training videos, visit a website for info or to get help while flying in sim from the DCS Forum.:thumbup:

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

+1 As a VR user I would like this a lot also. As I currently have to map 2 extra controls to my HOTAS to change pages.

(Tried using Voice Attack, but changing pages one by one with spoken command is painful lol)

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 1 year later...

The Oculus desktop feature is amazing as it allows to pin a notepad or wordpad to the view and then easily toggle it Off/On by tapping the pin button at the bottom of it. But that is only for a VR users and not so great help for those who doesn't use VR.

That is good as you can as well input new data there with keyboard or using the Oculus virtual keyboard. This for things like radio frequencies, channels, codenames etc.

But all that should really be there in DCS itself that would store the data to their own kneeboard.

VR users can't use the actual kneeboard because it is hard to read via softer VR lenses when looking downward and some important information you would write with the pen to the cockpit or even cockpit class in fast situations.

So having a good simple PDF reader is good for many situations but none of those will replace the actual physical map even in map editor. As to do the navigation one needs to have the ruler and bow compass to transfer distances and arcs when building the navigation routes where to fly how long etc.

That is easy in the mission editor when doing the waypoints just by clicking where ever wanted and get that automatically there. But it doesn't work well in DCS as it is very limited by locking one waypoint to single group.

What we would need is eventually the A-10C and KA-50 way to create a new waypoints and store them as own new routes to the computer and then switch between them later.

But to do that in the mission editor, so creating waypoints and routes without attaching them to any specific group, just by assigning a name to the route/waypoint and be able recall it via scripts etc, so you can get example GCI or AWACS to talk you over radio the waypoints.

This is similar thing as getting a movable ARP station easily on map just by adding it there.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

• 7 months later...

+1

Especially the ability to click on the kneeboard (or a special “blank sheet” in the kneeboard) so you can type in or paste text/numbers like coordinates from the F10 map. This way you can have the kneeboard opened with the entered/pasted coordinates to help with entering coordinates for the INS alignment in th M-2000C, AV8B/NA, or to enter waypoints in the AJS-37 or F/A-18C, etc... without having to go back and forth between the F10 view and the cockpit view.