F-14 v A-4 Top Gun

bC3660

F14 vs A4 ? Top Gun?

last time i recall in the movie it flew against Mig28's not A4's :megalol:

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

F14 vs A4 ? Top Gun?

last time i recall in the movie it flew against Mig28's not A4's :megalol:

both actually. the aggressors were A4 skyhawks the Russians were Mig 28s lol

Water cooled i9-9900K | Maximus Code XI MB | RTX3090  | 64GB | HP Reverb G2 

You know that Top Gun is more than the movie? It was the elite fighter school back then. The movie was named after this. In the fighter school A-4s, F-5s and others were used as adversaries.

Edited by KEULE

If I would like to fly SFM I could get it for free at World of Warplanes.

You only need 2 of the following 3: Altitude - Speed - Skill

Plus "MiG-28's" were F-5's, not A-4's. They did mention F-5's during the in brief though in the movie.

When I left my ship to go to "A" School in 1997 my step bro n law picked me up in Norfolk and we swung by his work - he was an ATC in the Navy and was currently in Oceana if I remember it correctly (I only met him just this one time, mystepsis and him divorced shortly after this) - but we drove down the flight line and I got to see my first Russian painted F/A-18's. We also sat at one of the runway ends where they had a "meatball" set up and watched a Hawkeye and two Tomcats run touch and goes. It was RAD!!!

Edited by Robert31178

And the F-5 doesn't have the thrust to weight ratio that the Mig-28 has. :D

Modules: Well... all of 'em

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VIII Hero | CPU: i7-6700K @ 4.6GHz | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengance LPX DDR4 | GPU: GTX TITAN X (Maxwell) | SSD1: 256GB NVMe SSD System | SSD2: 250GB Games | HDD 4TB WD Red

Will we be getting a "Top Gun" campaign with the F-14 when it comes out? If so will it have the A-4 or just the F-5.:pilotfly:

Already talked here (sort of), thread below post #9 :

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=180863

The sim mentioned on that thread had an interesting immersive plot scenario (more than 40 missions total):

Training: Miramar

Conflicts: Cuba > North Korea > Libya

In Miramar / TOPGUN training missions I recall of several dissimilar aircraft types: MiG-21; F-5; A/V-8B Harrier; F/A-18; F-16 (difficult like hell to dogfight against), and others.

But I doubt that the producers (Heatblur?) would spend much time with that kind of stuff right away, as there are many other aspects which demand their time and efforts right now.

Either way I believe when it comes out there will be more than enough types to put the Tomcat against.

Hangar
FC3 | F-14A/B | F-16C | F/A-18C | MiG-21bis | Mirage 2000C ... ... JA 37 | Kfir | MiG-23 | Mirage IIIE
Mi-8 MTV2

system
i7-4790 K , 16 GB DDR3 , GTX 1660 Ti 6GB , Samsung 860 QVO 1TB

You know that Top Gun is more than the movie? It was the elite fighter school back then. The movie was named after this. In the fighter school A-4s, F-5s and others were used as adversaries.

yes we know it was just attempt at a cheesy joke

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

And the F-5 doesn't have the thrust to weight ratio that the Mig-28 has. :D

MiG-28 does have a problem with its inverted flight tanks. It won't do a negative G push over. Latest intelligence tells us that the most it will do is one negative...

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

Heatblur should include 'must have watched Top Gun before buying this module' in the terms and conditions :D

better not, some people will get the wrong idea try to WVR turn and burn non stop. and use guns. over missiles.

IF Top gun was realisitc, they would have blasted the first wave of F5's ,,, errr i mean mig28s with Aim54s and AIm7s in BVR before needing to tangle with em in close quarters, but of course realism doesnt always make for good entertainment in a movie :D

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

MiG-28 does have a problem with its inverted flight tanks. It won't do a negative G push over. Latest intelligence tells us that the most it will do is one negative...

The info is not accurate. I happened to be... We, Sorry Goose, we happened to be in a 4G negative dive with a Mig-28.

Charlie: Where did you see this?:megalol::smilewink::music_whistling:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] SMOKE'M:smoke: IF YA GOT'M!:gun_rifle:

H2o Cooler I7 9700k GA 390x MB Win 10 pro

Evga RTX 2070 8Gig DD5

32 Gig Corsair Vengence, 2T SSD.

TM.Warthog:joystick: :punk:, CV-1:matrix:,3x23" monitors, Tm MFD's, Saitek pro rudders wrapped up in 2 sheets of plywood:megalol:

or7d75.jpg

CPU: i7 980x @ 4.2GHz RAM: 24gb Corsair Vengeance

MB: Gigabyte Sniper X58 w/onboard Soundblaster X-Fi

HD: SanDisk 480gb SSD OS: Win7 Pro 64bit

VIDEO CARD: EVGA GTX 980ti FTW

MONITOR: LG 34" Ultrawide 2560x1080

MP SERVER: ibuypower i7-4810MQ w/Win7 Home 64bit

GEAR: Saitek X-52 Pro; Combat Rudder Pedals; Throttle Quadrants. Thrustmaster MFD's, TrackIR 5 w/Pro Clip, Turtle Beach X-12 Headset

better not, some people will get the wrong idea try to WVR turn and burn non stop. and use guns. over missiles.

IF Top gun was realisitc, they would have blasted the first wave of F5's ,,, errr i mean mig28s with Aim54s and AIm7s in BVR before needing to tangle with em in close quarters, but of course realism doesnt always make for good entertainment in a movie :D

Do not fire until fired upon, repeat, do not fire until fired upon! :music_whistling::thumbup:

Modules: FC3, Mirage 2000C, Harrier AV-8B NA, F-5, AJS-37 Viggen, F-14B, F-14A, Combined Arms, F/A-18C, F-16C, MiG-19P, F-86, MiG-15, FW-190A, Spitfire Mk IX, UH-1 Huey, Su-25, P-51PD, Caucasus map, Nevada map, Persian Gulf map, Marianas map, Syria Map, Super Carrier, Sinai map, Mosquito, P-51, AH-64 Apache

if you guys wanna get a closer idea on how "realistic" Top Gun was, then go on YT and watch the Making of.. I hope it's still online .. its very entertaining..

IIRC there is one interview sequence with one of the Real Pilots (Codename "BOZER") saying: "We told the film crew that making so much Aileron rolls has nothing to do with Aerial combat but the Crew said "Keep it on, it Looks cool !"

LOL

Intel I7 - 10700 K @ 3,80GHz / 64 GB DDR3 / RTX 3090 / Win 10 Home 64 bit / Logitech X56 HOTAS / HP Reverb G2  

Running DCS on latest OB version 

if you guys wanna get a closer idea on how "realistic" Top Gun was, then go on YT and watch the Making of.. I hope it's still online .. its very entertaining..

IIRC there is one interview sequence with one of the Real Pilots (Codename "BOZER") saying: "We told the film crew that making so much Aileron rolls has nothing to do with Aerial combat but the Crew said "Keep it on, it Looks cool !"

LOL

"Do a barrel... Ugh, I mean aileron roll!"

DCS: MiG-23

[sIGPIC]

[/sIGPIC]

Make it happen, and take my money! :D

Ironically, given the remarkable mis-portrayal and inaccuracies of Top Gun, this may be the most realistic scene of the movie!

Though the Tomcat was involved in little real combat, it did find itself in many air-to-air "hassles" over the years. It was not too uncommon for foreign air forces (both friendly and very unfriendly) to send fighters to intercept or distract CAP-ing F-14s.

In 1981 off Libya, there were many, many engagements per day between Libya and the USN that did not result in air combat (Mirage 5s, MiG-25s, MiG-23s, Su-22s). But fighters would merge while the ROE forced Tomcats to hold fire. The enemy would generally disengage and run for home once the Tomcats entered the "saddle" on the enemies 6. "Snort" Snodgrass has HUD camera footage of his gun pipper centered on the tail of a MiG-25 in full burner off Libya in 1981. He still figures that he should have fired first and asked for forgiveness later given what happened with Kleeman's flight just minutes later. Also, the Libyans would make things difficult by hanging out near CAP stations and waiting till the Tomcats turned to head back to the ship, trying to jump them. Making fuel management and CAP relief timing quite important.

These type of events were known to have happened off Libya in 1981, 1986, and 1989. Similar events are also published between Tomcats and Soviet Floggers deployed to Cam Ranh Bay Vietnam in the 1980s (one engagement involved something like a dozen alert launched Tomcats and even more Floggers in 1988!). Also, Pakistani Mirages once hassled with F-14s off Pakistan when they accidentally violated Pakistani waters during an AIC training mission (Pakistani didn't know who they were till they saw them).

Also, did you know that two VF-21 F-14As fired on IRIAF F-4Es in the Strait of Hormuz in 1987?

There are lots of events that didn't receive much press, but made the life of a USN Tomcat pilot quite interesting - even in "Peacetime".

-Nick

Needs F-16N.

I would fly the hell out of that. F-14B will be nice and all that, but...That F-16N...Tiny jet, turns on a dime, climbs like a rocket, and runs like a Foxbat. Put the gun back in it just for laughs and, uhh, fights on. :D

Edited by Sweep

Lord of Salt

Need AI A-4's and A-4 Aggressors to go w/ the F-5s for a NTTR Top Gun Style Campaign...

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs