Tactics section in in-game DCS encyclopedia.

This is just a suggestion that i think would help a lot of new people and even more experienced ones.

Is it possible to have a tactics section in the DCS encyclopedia in the future. Just basic tactics for fighters and strike planes. With some nice graphical representation. It does not have to be plane specific. But you can maybe devide it in Basic Fighter tactics, Basic Strike plane tactics or basic Chopper Tactics.

* Notching

* Cranking

* Basic BFM

* Ingress / Egress

* How to approach a basic SAM threat.

Off course this information is all over te internet. But it's inside the game where people look first. We can help them out a bit if this info is waiting for them after a install. And it will save us a lot of questions. It doesn't have to be extremely technical and full of details. Just the basics. If they want to learn more they can always ask other people or search the interwebzzz.

As example take the notching and cranking part of the DCS F-15C Combat guide by Sryan. His explanation and graphics tell you the most important things you need to know and how to execute it. It's simple but effective and would not cost to much time to create cause you don't go into full detail.

It's just a suggestion.. I have no clue if this is feasible or even wanted. Or maybe i fail to see the scope in this. I thought it might be a nice addition to this very complex SIM to make it just a bit more accessible. It's all about the little details that makes us think they are really thinking about us right :)

http://www.mudspike.com/dcs-f-15c-combat-guide-for-beginners/

Edited by winchesterdelta1
  • Like 2

Go in close, and when you think you are too close, go in closer.

Excellent idea! Maybe that area of the encyclopedia should feature example videos.

System Spec: Cooler Master Cosmos C700P Black Edition case. | AMD 5950X CPU | MSI RTX-3090 GPU | 32GB HyperX Predator PC4000 RAM | | TM Warthog stick & throttle | TrackIR 5 | Samsung 980 Pro NVMe 4 SSD 1TB (boot) | Samsung 870 QVO SSD 4TB (games) | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.

Personal wish list: DCS: Su-27SM & DCS: Avro Vulcan.

Excellent idea! Maybe that area of the encyclopedia should feature example videos.

That would be a nice addition. But it would also means a ton of extra work and it would also increase the size of the install package quite a lot. Maybe some animated pictures that go's with the information. But indeed. If some time and resources can be spend on some video's, would be ideal.

Indeed, a great idea!

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

It would be more suitable as a section of the manual for the appropriate modules, or a separate document. That way it could be easily viewed without needing to have the game running and the information could also be transferred to an offline device for reading.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

That would be a nice addition. But it would also means a ton of extra work and it would also increase the size of the install package quite a lot. Maybe some animated pictures that go's with the information. But indeed. If some time and resources can be spend on some video's, would be ideal.

Hmm true. Maybe some large-ish high quality gifs would do.

System Spec: Cooler Master Cosmos C700P Black Edition case. | AMD 5950X CPU | MSI RTX-3090 GPU | 32GB HyperX Predator PC4000 RAM | | TM Warthog stick & throttle | TrackIR 5 | Samsung 980 Pro NVMe 4 SSD 1TB (boot) | Samsung 870 QVO SSD 4TB (games) | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.

The encyclopedia largely needs a rewrite in my opinion. So I must agree here.

Owned: Ryzen 3900x, MSI AMD 470x mobo, 32gb 3200MHz ram, Gtx 1660 Ti, 970 Evo Plus 500GB, MsFFB2, TIR5, TMWH+18c Stick, MFG Crosswinds, Buttkicker/SSA, WinWing F-18C . Next is VR for simpit

Art Of The Kill:

It wouldn't hurt to have such a feature AND accompany it with proper training missions for each aircraft on the basics of each aircrafts performance. Most tutorial missions are too superficial on the combat side... many times not bothering to give you basic info such as max sustained turn speeds or max performance turn speeds... even as an example for a fixed altitude. It just throws you in there and assumes you know what you should be looking for in the manuals

DCS Finland | SF squadron

It wouldn't hurt to have such a feature AND accompany it with proper training missions for each aircraft on the basics of each aircrafts performance. Most tutorial missions are too superficial on the combat side... many times not bothering to give you basic info such as max sustained turn speeds or max performance turn speeds... even as an example for a fixed altitude. It just throws you in there and assumes you know what you should be looking for in the manuals

Indeed. It seems that everybody thinks that new people should know what info they need or don't need. But most people that join this game is because they are interested in military planes and choppers. But have no clue about anything combat related. How to learnt he systems is one thing... But what next? And i think that is where this tactic section can help. It gives guidance to the new players and gives them some tools to start with. If they did not had a tactics section in TAW back in the day's it would have taken me way more time to actually understand how these planes are flown in combat. But because there was a nice tactics section that showed the basic BFM, BVR and maneuvers i had a idea on what to do instead of blindly trying stuff.

Or better still, official TacView examples of various combat techniques. I know TacView has increasingly integrated with DCS World, but I think it's time that it was brought on board and fully integrated as a standard DCS World feature, in the same way that TAW had an ACMI system back in the day.

...but I think it's time that it was brought on board and fully integrated as a standard DCS World feature, in the same way that TAW had an ACMI system back in the day.

Except ED doesn't own Tacview, and I suspect that they won't want to spend the money required to license it from the owner.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup: