How do you take notes during the flight?

captain_kuwait

Hello,

i was wondering how do you take notes during a flight in vr ? For Example 9line from jtac, Taxi runways when Communicating with ground control.

I tried to look through the small opening in the oculus but it is very hard for me to take proper note or write something down. I can barely See anything.

And advice on writing something down while in vr?

Best regards

Yes, this is indeed one of the drawbacks of VR. I see no solution to this. It's just hard to take notes when you're practically blind.

PC Specs / Hardware: MSI z370 Gaming Plus Mainboard, Intel 8700k @ 5GHz, MSI Sea Hawk 2080 Ti @ 2100MHz, 32GB 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM

Displays: Philips BDM4065UC 60Hz 4K UHD Screen, Pimax 8KX

Controllers / Peripherals: VPC MongoosT-50, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, modded MS FFB2/CH Combatstick, MFG Crosswind Pedals, Gametrix JetSeat

I tend to just enter the info as it is received. The CDU can be set up in readiness before you make a call, and the data punched straight in. This usually means setting up a waypoint, naming it, so you are all ready to simply enter the grid reference or L/L co-ordinates directly.

Runway headings can simply be dialled in on your HSI course needle if you have trouble remembering them.

I also keep a kneeboard page loaded with mission details so they can be referred to easily too.

With a little imagination, you can cope easily.

Yes, this is indeed one of the drawbacks of VR. I see no solution to this. It's just hard to take notes when you're practically blind.

An elegant solution could be to develop a VR headset with AR capability. With a press of a button on the side of the headset, we could switch from the VR to the AR and see "through" the headset while retaining some information on front of us (altitude, speed, threat, etc. ...).

Of course it would required some serious work from ED to implement this kind of option in the game. As for now I do not see this possible as we barely have a VR experience optimized.

There are only two types of aircraft, fighters and targets. - Major Doyle "Wahoo" Nicholson, USMC

An elegant solution could be to develop a VR headset with AR capability. With a press of a button on the side of the headset, we could switch from the VR to the AR and see "through" the headset while retaining some information on front of us (altitude, speed, threat, etc. ...).

Of course it would required some serious work from ED to implement this kind of option in the game. As for now I do not see this possible as we barely have a VR experience optimized.

That really would be very cool. :thumbup:

Hello,

i was wondering how do you take notes during a flight in vr ? For Example 9line from jtac, Taxi runways when Communicating with ground control.

I tried to look through the small opening in the oculus but it is very hard for me to take proper note or write something down. I can barely See anything.

And advice on writing something down while in vr?

Best regards

I have both an iPhone and iPad and can write and draw with my finger on the screens so if this content could then be displayed on the DCS kneeboard we are in business.

I have the same issue, as said before it's just one of the drawbacks of vr..

What I would personally like was if the 9 lines and pertinent comms were somehow automatically added to a blank kneeboard page. That way my terrible memory could cope!

My rig - I5 6600k @ 4.5 - Corsair H100i GTX - Maximus Hero viii - 16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum ROG edition DDR4 3200mhz - Gigabyte 1080ti (Overclocked) - TM Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Rudder pedals - Oculus Rift CV1

I believe Vive has a camera built into it that allows you to see into the real world.

I believe Vive has a camera built into it that allows you to see into the real world.

Never heard of that, this would be a great feature. However I must agree with btaft who gave the best solution yet IMO.

Or have one of the pages on the kneeboard be a log of all communications....kind of like FSX/P3D does with ATC comms. That way you can scroll back

There are only two types of aircraft, fighters and targets. - Major Doyle "Wahoo" Nicholson, USMC

I really think that expanding the kneeboard functionality is the key to fixing this little problem in VR. I would imagine as a greater proportion of the community naturally turns to headsets as the only way to play DCS-- and it is, that this will develop.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The vive has a camera yes, but its kinda different then you would expect...its not a normal video picture you get, but more like an infrared view, though its not ir but some other technique...So, you can see an object like your desk or couch through the camera, but not the details like the keys on the keyboard or such...It's difficult to describe for me, I hope you get what I mean lol...

i7 6700k @ 4,5 Ghz | MSI 1080ti Aero | 32 GB RAM 2133 | 500 GB SSD | TM Warthog | MFG Crosswind | HTC Vive |:pilotfly:

The vive has a camera yes, but its kinda different then you would expect...its not a normal video picture you get, but more like an infrared view, though its not ir but some other technique...So, you can see an object like your desk or couch through the camera, but not the details like the keys on the keyboard or such...It's difficult to describe for me, I hope you get what I mean lol...

Watch the movie Predator. You'll see it first hand. :D

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Or have one of the pages on the kneeboard be a log of all communications....kind of like FSX/P3D does with ATC comms. That way you can scroll back

This is the correct solution and it should be very easy to implement.

\

EDIT: I should add that this would be a useful feature even for those who are not using a VR headset.

Edited by cichlidfan

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Never worn a VR headset, but it seems like a narrow (like 1/4"-1/2") clear panel on the bottom edge of the headset, with a panel cover that can flip up/down, would work to provide momentary real-world vision.

Or something like that.

If you can type on a keyboard without looking (I can .. sort of :) ) then have a look at OVRDrop in Steam (was called OVROverlay beforegoing to steam). It overlays any window or display in the VR. Looking at the minimized overlay will maximize it (can be customized to location and size in the headset). So you could have notepad running as an overlay. I use it to see my second display if I am streaming or want access to an application / file while in DCS. Not sure if this is available for the Rift but works very well in the Vive.

This is the correct solution and it should be very easy to implement.

\

EDIT: I should add that this would be a useful feature even for those who are not using a VR headset.

+2 for this solution!!

If you can type on a keyboard without looking (I can .. sort of :) ) then have a look at OVRDrop in Steam

Yes it is available with the rift, seems like some games do work if set in compatibility for Win7 (E:D used to work with it when OVRDrop was in beta) but I had no luck so far in DCS. Putting it in Windows7 mode makes VR non-usable for some reason...

I couldn't believe this wasn't a standard feature when i first started with DCS. Some of the campaign missions if you miss the cords first go you are SOL. Directly adding them in is especially difficult with the L/L format when you had to add in 2 stings of numbers (at least in the A10).

Other option would be a request to replay last message, but the log just seems so obvious.

• 1 year later...

Actually, the best way for ed to implement this would be to add a page on the kneeboard which autopopulates the abbreviated details of the 9-line briefing automatically to the page as it is spoken. Then, you can reference it in written form in VR by glancing at your knee pad.