Normandy Early Access Discussion

SkateZilla

Yes I am getting excellent results, it has come a long way since early development, good to see the hard work the ED team has done come to realisation

Second that. For an Alpha the performance seems pretty great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

[Dogs of War] WWII COMBAT SERVER | P-51D - FW190-D9 - Me109-K4

Visit Our Website & Forum to Get More Info & Team Speak Access

• Replies 409
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good question about the performance in VR.

Playing in 2D on the monitor I can crank up all settings (except AA and shadows) to maximum for Normandy and get no stuttering with minimums of 60fps.

In VR I have to reduce settings to medium, turn off AA, PD back to 1.3 and still get performance problems when circling low above cities. Down to 25fps. AA seems to have the biggest impact of all settings, even 2x is bringing my GTX1080Ti to the knees. GPU usage always between 70 and 100%. CPU at about 30% on all cores.

No problems on Nevada map in VR. Highest settings (AA to4x, shadows to medium), PD to 1.7 and I can maintain 45fps even above most parts of Vegas.

I have similar results to you. Need to lower everything to get ~30-40fps in VR but with PD of 1.5, I don't use AA. Not had a great deal of time to spend tweaking it.

Really need a better GPU!

Intel 5820k | Asus X-99A | Crucial 16GB | Powercolor Devil RX580 8GB | Win 10 x64 | Oculus Rift | https://gallery.ksotov.co.uk

Patiently waiting for: DCS: Panavia Tornado, DCS: SA-2 Guideline, DCS: SA-3 Goa, DCS: S-300 Grumble

I did some tweeking this evening and scaled back aa and msaa which was set at 16 and 8, probably overkill but thats where it is in on the other instals.

Anyway, moving some things about and changing a bit here and there, there really is no issue personally, it runs just fine and I can get 60min over terrain no problem.

Just free flying.

I hit the default medium settings from where I was and tweeked upwards from there.

This is where I currently am/ended up, still wip.

I can still scale backwards quite comfortably and the game still looks fine to me.

Will post a freeflight vid a bit later, can't get the Spitfire mirror to work, anyone else?

I don't normally fly it so may well be doing it wrong.

dcsnn1.jpg.d3bb593d4ecf510a803c86cfb1211fe0.jpg

Thermaltake View 91, Z390 Gigabyte Aorus Ultra, i9 9900K, Corsair H150i Pro, 32Gb Trident Z 3200, Gigabyte Aorus Extreme 2080ti, Corsair AX1200i, Warthog A-10 Hotas, MFG Crosswind pedals, TiR5 Pro, HP Reverb Pro

Excuse my poor video rendering but this is with the above settings and runs just fine for now.

• Like 1

Thermaltake View 91, Z390 Gigabyte Aorus Ultra, i9 9900K, Corsair H150i Pro, 32Gb Trident Z 3200, Gigabyte Aorus Extreme 2080ti, Corsair AX1200i, Warthog A-10 Hotas, MFG Crosswind pedals, TiR5 Pro, HP Reverb Pro

Good question about the performance in VR.

Playing in 2D on the monitor I can crank up all settings (except AA and shadows) to maximum for Normandy and get no stuttering with minimums of 60fps.

In VR I have to reduce settings to medium, turn off AA, PD back to 1.3 and still get performance problems when circling low above cities. Down to 25fps. AA seems to have the biggest impact of all settings, even 2x is bringing my GTX1080Ti to the knees. GPU usage always between 70 and 100%. CPU at about 30% on all cores.

No problems on Nevada map in VR. Highest settings (AA to4x, shadows to medium), PD to 1.7 and I can maintain 45fps even above most parts of Vegas.

Weird, i have a 1080 (not Ti) and i can set most things to high, trees about just under half way, grass about a quarter. Shadows Medium, textures high, deferred on, ground shadows off, and get 45+ fps almost all the time.

Twitch2DCS - Bring twitch chat into DCS.

SplashOneGaming.com - Splash One is a community built on combat flight simulation. S1G Discord

twitch / youtube / facebook / twitter / discord

Great video Jabbers

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Waiting for the credit card bill (10th of May) and then it's preorder bundle time! :)

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

I am pretty much torturing myself at this point, I have the early access downloaded & installed and yet I have not accessed it! :huh:

Before I can enjoy the delights of Normandy I have to A) Finish painting my apartment and B) Complete my Spitfire Control Column...

So close I might be able to fly next week :pilotfly:

Windows 10 Pro | ASUS RANGER VIII | i5 6600K @ 4.6GHz| MSI RTX 2060 SUPER | 32GB RAM | Corsair H100i | Corsair Carbide 540 | HP Reverb G2 | MFG crosswind Pedals | Custom Spitfire Cockpit

Project IX Cockpit

Wait...now it's only available who took part in the backers program, right? So I, who pre-ordered it, cannot try it just yet, correct?

Also, can anyone take a screenshot of any of my Mustang skins? I really hope the new lighting system didn't mess anything up, I would hate to have to redo them all.

Thanks!

Wait...now it's only available who took part in the backers program, right? So I, who pre-ordered it, cannot try it just yet, correct?

Also, can anyone take a screenshot of any of my Mustang skins? I really hope the new lighting system didn't mess anything up, I would hate to have to redo them all.

Thanks!

Normal pre-orders will be available end of may. For now, only 140$ Backers of the original kickstarter have access.

Will check a few skins this evening.

• ED Team

Thanks!

Kickstarter backers that contributed $140.00 or more get the closed alpha, soon after it will be open alpha for everyone else.

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

I did some tweeking this evening and scaled back aa and msaa which was set at 16 and 8, probably overkill but thats where it is in on the other instals.

Anyway, moving some things about and changing a bit here and there, there really is no issue personally, it runs just fine and I can get 60min over terrain no problem.

Just free flying.

I hit the default medium settings from where I was and tweeked upwards from there.

This is where I currently am/ended up, still wip.

I can still scale backwards quite comfortably and the game still looks fine to me.

Will post a freeflight vid a bit later, can't get the Spitfire mirror to work, anyone else?

I don't normally fly it so may well be doing it wrong.

Do you use these settings​ for 1.5 as well fella.

Guess your the only one not hoping for an earlier release date ;)

Heh, I never thought about it like that :)

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

Do you use these settings​ for 1.5 as well fella.

No, 1.5 is here

http://imgur.com/ExwvvB1

I started off there but then started fiddling to get 60+near the ground in Normandy. So they are quite different now.

Need to fiddle a bit more with Normandy and get the shadows settings on, which are set to flat now. When thats done I will probably try those settings in 1.5 and 2.0 as well.

No, 1.5 is here

http://imgur.com/ExwvvB1

I started off there but then started fiddling to get 60+near the ground in Normandy. So they are quite different now.

Need to fiddle a bit more with Normandy and get the shadows settings on, which are set to flat now. When thats done I will probably try those settings in 1.5 and 2.0 as well.

Thanks mate will give them a go :thumbup:

Been messing about a bit more, just for my own curiosity.

I havent looked at 1.5 or 2.0 but in Normandy the msaa seems to impact quite a bit on my rig fps wise, even at 2x.

So I turned it off and went into the nvidia control panel and set up some stuff there, call it placebo, but it seems better.

Anyway above just for info purposes.

The map runs great.

Been doing a few ground strike missions and have to say (as expected) with the amount of trees along the roads and depending on the time of day (for shadows) it's a whole different ball game trying to find the targets!

Is any body else seeing the streaks in the water texture (the light blue water close to the shoreline)?

EDIT: turning on Differed Shading removed these streaks in the shallow water

settings01.thumb.jpg.853aae69ec5dcd445b7fb86c5d1fcf07.jpg

water_texture.thumb.jpg.703bf665741cf86666f8641f321beaf7.jpg

Edited by Oesau
Updated setting causing this

I've done more testing of settings and interested in others views on the results.

I find with the deferred Shading that a lot of cockpit reflections off the meeting canopy rails, the gauges as well as the blacks being washed out (grey) is a little overdone. Also find the gunsight reticle difficult to see against the daylight sky (the sky is too bright).

settings02.thumb.jpg.c0bd5ff050d8e37e58a9de679f29565e.jpg

highreflectionF5E-01.thumb.jpg.9db0027de934a7b407c2b9b89273893b.jpg

lowblackF5E-01.thumb.jpg.cf8fb19b35b4a1117e994c5d5d2beaef.jpg