Is a VR Only server possible?

Archaic

Is there any information the server receives that would detect whether a connecting player is in VR or not?

It would be cool if there was a VR only server so everyone is at the same resolution/spotting disadvantage.

I would pay for one if it's possible.

i7 - 9700k | EVGA 1080Ti | 32 DDR4 RAM | 750w PS | TM Warthog HOTAS/X-55 | Track IR 5 |

I would get behind this too. I use VR tag in my name nick when flying online to inform ppl of my "SA" status. Can be useful for other ppl to know that I dont have 290 degree FOV with pixel spotting standing out ike TiR pilots. In VR, Pixeldensity and LOD (or whatever) makes it a one sided fight.

Its like flying with a dirty gasmask. You dont have a lot of peripheral vision and it can be blurry so you dont see anything far away (or close, without lables). But its fecking awesome.

VS Tir: Extreme Fov with zoom and easy spotting & little too no body movement. BUT way less fun.

"Hard to imagine bigger engine. its got a beautiful face and an arse built like sputnik." - Pikey AKA The Poet, on 37 Viggen.

I was going to keep a server up for VR users only but pretty much got shot down in flames for even suggesting it. Bought Nevada earlybut couldn't use it due to an axis bug in Alpha which probably still isn't fixed and then seeing a discount package for Nevada and a "Tuff Titties" attitude from DCS and community I've invested my moneys and resources elsewhere.

This would be great! Would gladly pay for this as well.

Intel i7-13700k | Zotac Trinity RTX 4090 | Asrock B660 Steel Legend | 32Gb RAM 3600 | 2TB NVMe + 2TB SSD + 8TB HDD | Corsair TX850M | be quiet! Pure Base 500DX | LG 4K OLED 48CX8LC

Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog - MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - TrackIR - Stream Deck XL

Is there any information the server receives that would detect whether a connecting player is in VR or not?

Not to my knowledge. Best you could do is a whitelist of UCID for players with VR. It wouldn't actively ensure that they are using VR in game though.

The right man in the wrong place makes all the difference in the world.

Current Projects:  Grayflag ServerScripting Wiki

Useful Links: Mission Scripting Tools MIST-(GitHub) MIST-(Thread)

SLMOD, Wiki wishlist, Mission Editing Wiki!, Mission Building Forum

VR Server

Id fly on it,

and although not really central to this discussion, Id like to add and say the vast majority of flight simmers who use Trak IR if given a five min try( and had the money) on VR would go VR despite the sight draw backs that this new and ground breaking equipment has ( at the moment),

I now because of VR will go on the Aerobatics Server and not just fly but park up and watch other guys doing aerobatics up n down the runways, I actually deliberately park on the apron parallel to the run way in order to get out and watch the aircraft go by/land /take off, I cannot stress enough what VR has done to Flight simming, I am looking forward to the time where its slight drawbacks at the moment are gone.

Yes checking six is not as easy as in Trak IR but? I for one will say VR its king!

• Like 1

Not to my knowledge. Best you could do is a whitelist of UCID for players with VR. It wouldn't actively ensure that they are using VR in game though.

If they have VR, they're using it in game. I guarantee it.

I'm guessing you'd have to make it members only in order to prevent non-VR abusers spoiling your party.

It's simple enough to apply a password, and then to restrict access. The hard part would be ascertaining who did or didn't have VR.

Whitelisting will not solve the problem - you would still have people accusing of 'cheating'. There also should be realization that VR users are probably just a tiny portion of the whole DCS community - even if you could limit servers based on user hardware/game setting, there won't be many people flying together at any given point of time.

I think a better approach would be to do community events. I remember back in the old days when I used to fly AirWarrior and Aces High, once a week there was an 'official' mission. Usually Saturday/Sunday in the late morning (well at least for me here on EST, but it was picked so that people from pretty much everywhere could join at a more or less convenient time). This is something that I think could work really well in DCS as well... Actually, now that I remembered it, I really want something like this in DCS - if anyone's interested, let me know and I'll create a new thread for this.

well, if i could have one of these expensives VR i would fly it of course.

I7 7700k - Msi Z270 Gaming+

GTX 1070ti

16gb @2400

2x Samsung 850EVO 250/500 - 1x HDD 1TB

SAITEK-MAD CATZ CYBORG FLY 5 STICK

WIN 10

Whitelisting will not solve the problem - you would still have people accusing of 'cheating'. There also should be realization that VR users are probably just a tiny portion of the whole DCS community - even if you could limit servers based on user hardware/game setting, there won't be many people flying together at any given point of time.

I think a better approach would be to do community events. I remember back in the old days when I used to fly AirWarrior and Aces High, once a week there was an 'official' mission. Usually Saturday/Sunday in the late morning (well at least for me here on EST, but it was picked so that people from pretty much everywhere could join at a more or less convenient time). This is something that I think could work really well in DCS as well... Actually, now that I remembered it, I really want something like this in DCS - if anyone's interested, let me know and I'll create a new thread for this.

I remember those in Aces High. They were pretty awesome with that many people involved in a historical scenario. Flew terrified the whole time.

i7 - 9700k | EVGA 1080Ti | 32 DDR4 RAM | 750w PS | TM Warthog HOTAS/X-55 | Track IR 5 |

• 5 months later...

I have to agree with most on this post, once you've tried VR (on a capable rig, essential!) it absolutely transforms flight sims to a whole new level, I use the line, 'from a game to a real flying experience'. The restriction at the moment is cost, not necessarily the VR (Rift=£400.00) but the rig to run it, I built my own for less than£1,200 ground up. Having said that, how many users on here have £330 joystick setups and expensive 4k monitors? I have yet to see any of my friends who have tried flying the Spitfire on the VR not to be totally astounded.

Anyway, back to the original question....VR only servers? I've only recently returned to DCS and have spent about a month learning how to fly WWII planes, I feel I'm almost ready to dip my toe in the water of multiplayer. Although I'm fully prepared to be cannon fodder for a while as I learn the MP ropes, my main worry is, will I be at a complete disadvantage not being able to just press a key to see behind me as the mirrors aren't working yet? To know I was flying against others, all equal apart from skill would be nice.

Guys don't you think that the MP scene is not fragmented already enough - 1.5, 2.1, Nevada, Normandy, Assets pack?

What's next, a request for servers with TIR users only, single monitors only, those with 3 monitors only, expensive hotas vs single stick servers only, V-Sync vs GSync only?

I do understand that the VR player base is growing and there are pople that "find it transforming" but I'm not sure why there seems to be a trand of unspoken elitims and antagonizing the VR from the other users as it's soo great that every one should have it and those that don't (or don't want to get it) should not be allowed to fly on the same servers.

There are closed - passworded servers already. Use one if you want to share the experience in a closed group. Otherwise, the public environment should be open for all, regardles of the equipment they want to use or can affort to buy.

F/A-18, F-16, F-14, M-2000C, A-10C, AV-8B, AJS-37 Viggen, F-5E-3, F-86F, MiG-21bis, MiG-15bis, L-39 Albatros, C-101 Aviojet, P-51D, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Bf 109 4-K, UH-1H, Mi-8, Ka-50, NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf... and not enough time to fully enjoy it all

Guys don't you think that the MP scene is not fragmented already enough - 1.5, 2.1, Nevada, Normandy, Assets pack?

What's next, a request for servers with TIR users only, single monitors only, those with 3 monitors only, expensive hotas vs single stick servers only, V-Sync vs GSync only?

I do understand that the VR player base is growing and there are pople that "find it transforming" but I'm not sure why there seems to be a trand of unspoken elitims and antagonizing the VR from the other users as it's soo great that every one should have it and those that don't (or don't want to get it) should not be allowed to fly on the same servers.

There are closed - passworded servers already. Use one if you want to share the experience in a closed group. Otherwise, the public environment should be open for all, regardles of the equipment they want to use or can affort to buy.

Who said anything about elitism?

The point from the original poster was that there are advantages - and of course disadvantages to either method of display. As for fragmenting the multiplayer community - wouldn't you say the one factor most likely to do that would be the exploitation of weaknesses of any given system rather than the concentration of like-equipped groups?

The whole point of multiplayer environments is co-operation and competition. Who among us doesn't want to promote good game play, a level playing field, and therefore encourage more people to participate and ENJOY what they're doing. Streaming access to those who share your ideals, have suitable equipment, and of course commitment seems to me the right approach.

Advantages and disadvantages ensue with VR for sure. I don't think it has anything to do with elitism. I don't think I'm better than you because I fly in VR. Of course, if you're running 4k and can see my pilot looking around in the cockpit at 3nm, I'm already dead, because I pretty much still cannot even see you. I'm still gonna fly, I'm still gonna do it in VR, and I'll still get killed way more often than I'll make a kill, and I'm still gonna have fun regardless. Though I'd be a liar if I said it doesn't get frustrating on occasion.

Sorry, no cool signature here.

Somehow two threads for the same topic are active currently...

But it is not about killing or getting killed. It is not also having and advantage because of a better or more expensive hardware. It is an advantage gained from unrealistic feature which is not equally available for all.

For me it is hard to realize why TIR users doesn't want to say that the way they turn back to check six and zoom into the bandit on their tail is unrealistic feature.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]