Help with a new system for BS

uhoh7

Looks like BS deserves a strong machine and I've had this rig for two years. I'll get a conroe, but I am stumped on the best graphics setup for today. My last card was AGP!

What do you guys think will work the best-- if you could have any graphic setup for this game.....

Haven't flown LO for quite awhile, but I realy enjoyed the SU25T. This helo looks pretty fun, hehe

E8600 Asus P5E Radeon 4870x2 Corsair 4gb Velociraptor 300gb Neopower 650 NZXT Tempest Vista64 Samsung 30" 2560x1600

I'm shure your system will run it, mine is an AMD 4000 with a 6800 GT OC with 1 gig of Crucial Ballistix, and IDE HD. Wink wink!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"Zuki" Resident mud mover

CH HOTAS untill it breaks(for life)!

Not affiliated with any "squad":thumbup:

IMHO the 7900gs is the best bang for buck at the moment.

I too an going conroe (ditching my faithful water cooled XPm), and will be picking up a 7900gs for it.

Nate

For absolute speed go for the 8800gtx, might have to get small electric powerstation to run it though

For BS, system advice is the pretty much the same as any previous version of Lomac . . . . empty your bank account into a large sack, take it to your local PC components place, empty it onto the counter, and say "What can I get for this?"

A 2.93GHz Core 2 Duo (forgotten the number now), 2Gb RAM, and a pair of 8800GTXs should see you in fairly good shape. Don't forget the 24" TFT, either.

Guest IguanaKing
A 2.93GHz Core 2 Duo (forgotten the number now)

X6800. ;) I gave mine a mild overclock to 3.2GHz and FC is the only game that gives it a bit of trouble, but I can turn everything up now. I have a minimum FPS of 19 now, and my maximum, so far, has been 235 FPS. This is at 1600X1200 and 16X AF, 6X AA. I have two X1950s in cross-fire. It makes my old 3.4GHz Northwood look like a slow, fat dinosaur...and a noisy one at that. One piece of advice for uhoh7...stick with the 32-bit version of Windows XP, x64 has all kinds of issues. So, for a rock-solid system you don't have to mess with, XP 32 is the way to go. For your CPU cooler, go with a Thermaltake Big Typhoon or a Zalman with a 120mm fan, and enjoy the silence. :D My OCd X6800, BTW, tops out at 32 degrees C...so the new processors run MUCH cooler than the old ones.

OK you guys got me thinking now...

My last two cards have cost me over 500 each, and for that money its got to be BFG. They just replaced my my old 6800 in less than a week with very few "hoops" on the phone.

So these two cards come to mind today:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814143074

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814143075

I've gone the GTX route in the past, becasue I don't like to fiddle. What do you guys think now?

Thinking ahead, is it really possible to run TWO of these things? Is there an MB that would even take 2? and speaking of mobos--- which for the conroe?

I'm also a 1c fan from the days of the il2 demo, and knowing Oleg, BOB is going to be pretty demanding at full tilt--- I want this system to run the pee out of that for sure.

OT this is the "sim" I really want:

http://www.zenithair.com/video/CH701_256Kbps.wmv

TY guys, help me here

E8600 Asus P5E Radeon 4870x2 Corsair 4gb Velociraptor 300gb Neopower 650 NZXT Tempest Vista64 Samsung 30" 2560x1600

Guest IguanaKing

Either one will serve you well, just remember the OS issue and you'll be fine. :D

For my Conroe, I have an ASUS P5W DH Deluxe. But, that's a cross-fire certified board. It supposedly will handle SLI as well, but I wouldn't bet 300 bucks on that. ;) Do some Googling at some of the benchmarking sites to get an idea of what they used for hardware. PSU and case are also important. I've got a 750 watt PSU in my new rig, and its proving to be more than enough for my cross-fired X1950s. The depth of my case could use about a half-inch of extra space to accomodate the video cards. I have two Barracudas in RAID 0, but if I wanted to go to RAID 0 + 1, I wouldn't be able to, simply because my case isn't quite deep enough. It has 7 3.5" bays in the two 3.5" drive cages, but the depth of the case only allows me to use 4 of them because of the two X1950s. Heh...I've got a floppy still, because I'm an old-school computer geek and just can't let go of that relic, so that only leaves one bay

Either one will serve you well, just remember the OS issue and you'll be fine. :D

hehe TY, I figure I'll retire this rig to Vista, just so I can keep up with my clients, OS wise.

Guest IguanaKing

It might be better for you to hang with XP for a little while, just until they get the inevitable bugs worked out. Newegg offers OEM versions of XP with an upgrade coupon to Vista, so that might be a good offer to take advantage of.

SO far you don't need a super computer to run BS, I know a most of the beta testers and what they have. Best thing to do is wait til BS comes out, test your computer then. After that then go out and buy new stuff if you want. When are you thinking of buying this new computer?

TY Cali for reply. My current system, outlined below, cannot run FC to the point where I really want to play it, although I did spend quite a bit of time flying the SU25T, because it has such an incredible FM. Of course it will run OK in a low object enviroment-- beautiful really. But the slideshow will kick in when things get interesting. Anything below 20FPS and I loose immersion.

Looking at the current state of Tech, it seems the 8800 with an E6700 or 6800, would last me quite a while. I build my own stuff of course. I would run 32 bit XP on the new rig, and prolly build it after christmas with a budget of 2 to 2.5K, excluding HDs, since I have some very fast ones in storage. I'm really tempted to go E6700 + 8800GTX, saving alot over the E6800 to pay for the X over the GTS.

I know the game is processor intensive, but my own experience is that a great GPU will help find the smoothness I crave with the graphics settings to see the water, objects and effects which make my current rig shudder.

So basically I don't want to even bother playing BS on this system, but I will buy BS right away--- so that gives you an idea.

If I do save money and get the E6700, I will have to pick the right mobo, I guess, since apparently few are able to OC it. I don't usually OC, but I like the option.

X6800. ;) I gave mine a mild overclock to 3.2GHz and FC is the only game that gives it a bit of trouble

Any particular reason for choosing the X6800 or you just like burning money away? :)

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

Looking at the current state of Tech, it seems the 8800 with an E6700 or 6800, would last me quite a while. I build my own stuff of course. I would run 32 bit XP on the new rig, and prolly build it after christmas with a budget of 2 to 2.5K, excluding HDs, since I have some very fast ones in storage. I'm really tempted to go E6700 + 8800GTX, saving alot over the E6800 to pay for the X over the GTS.

If I do save money and get the E6700, I will have to pick the right mobo, I guess, since apparently few are able to OC it. I don't usually OC, but I like the option.

Save the money and get E6600. With a solid motherboard (e.g. Asus P5B Deluxe) and some decent air cooler you can clock it to 3.4 at least. Or even better, you could buy the Asus board with the new 680i chipset so you can add another 8800GTX in SLI later on (and maybe another for physics if this develops). Also, some decent 600W PSU would be more than enough (like Seasonic's S12-600).

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

Save the money and get E6600. With a solid motherboard (e.g. Asus P5B Deluxe) and some decent air cooler you can clock it to 3.4 at least. Or even better, you could buy the Asus board with the new 680i chipset so you can add another 8800GTX in SLI later on (and maybe another for physics if this develops). Also, some decent 600W PSU would be more than enough (like Seasonic's S12-600).

NOW those are the kind of suggestions I want to hear......680i, eh? I better google that one. TY sir.

OK...this seems to be THE board at the moment

http://www.newegg.com/Product/CustratingReview.asp?Item=N82E16813188009

what you think?

And how bout memory?

Guest IguanaKing
Any particular reason for choosing the X6800 or you just like burning money away? :)

Of course I do! It helps keep my house warm. :D He should go with a 6700 though, and not a 6600...it doesn't cost that much more. ;)

go with e6600 and 680i - i just got them. Over clocked easily to 3.4 without any voltage changes. Gonna try to get to 4ghz on zalmann cooling soon. at 3.4 and zalman my cpu temp never goes above 48 degrees C. Unbelievable overclocking ability.

Havnt played Lomac yet, cause im at school, but do you think ill be able to turn everything up with this system?

e6600

8800gtx

2 gigs ram

thanks!

Yes my System is beginning to show its age... The other night I was Trying out one of the missions in FSX. Well it actually turned into a real slide show and then froze (and this is with all of the tweaks applied...)

(Present System specks, AMD 64 3200, Asus K8V Se Deluxe, Kingston DDR400 1 Gib, XFX 6800 Ultra, Antec 480 True Blue PS...

I've heard from the grapevine that B/S will bring your system to its knees.... Hummm ! I think I've been here before..

Well its time for another upgrade so I broke out the old credit card and went shopping.. :sly:

I know that a lot of guy's always recommend Newegg, but personally over the years I have found that they're not always the best..

What I like to use is a comparison shopping sight like Bizrate or Pricegrabbers..

So this time I used Zip Zoom Fly as they had the best prices for most of the items that I bought.. Intel Dual Core Duo E6600, Asus P5W DH Deluxe( this board got high rateings from Anantec), Corsair Dual Channel DDR2 800 2 Gib.... And from Newegg (because this was the best price, Windows XP Pro OEM with the Vista Premium Upgrade the cost is actually 20 USD S/H..:hehe:

The graphics card that I went with is XFX 7900 GS, this is really very cheap in comparison to the original price ... The new 8800gtx for DX10 I passed on, as DX10 will not be included in Lock On B/S, and DX10 is not backwards compatible. Anyway I might decide to eventually go with the cross fire system... But for now there is a possibility the Dual Core will be utilized by ED in the future and this CPU can be used presently, as you can disable one core and still get very high FPS... It just stands to reason.... :clap:

~S~

Blaze

intel Cor i7-6700K

ASUS ROG MAX VIII Extreme

G.Skill TridentZ Series 32 GB

Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SATA II

ASUS GTX 1080/DIRECTX 12

Windows 10 PRO

Thrustmaster Warthog

Oculus Rift VR

I can definitely recommend the e6600. I recently installed one and still running on stock speeds, with Lock On running with most settings on high and getting around 65 fps. Can't wait to overclock it! You can use the remaining cash to get better RAM and the 680i mobo :D

But if you want to get the 8800GTX with a view to installing another at a later date, you will probably need a 750w-800/900w PSU!!

But if you want to get the 8800GTX with a view to installing another at a later date, you will probably need a 750w-800/900w PSU!!

No way. A C2D system with one 8800GTX draws from the socket some 320W. With two in SLI, it probably wouldn't draw more than 450W.

http://theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=36066

But, I cannot stress enough the fact I mentioned *decent* 600W PSU.

With two in SLI, it probably wouldn't draw more than 450W.

http://theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=36066

But, I cannot stress enough the fact I mentioned *decent* 600W PSU.

That's pretty good news if that's the case! I was just going by the recommendations at slizone.com.

Another option is to just wait for a couple of months. Supposedly, nVidia will be releasing more affordable entry and mid-level Geforce 8 cards in the first quarter of 07, and the same for Intel quad cores...

As my budget is only about 1200-1400€ (around $1500) this is the setup I plan to go with before christmas:

Core Duo E6400

Zalman CNPS8000 cooler

Asus P5B DELUXE mb

Kingston HyperX 2GB DDR2 DIMM 800MHZ (or 2x1GB, almost same price)

Seagate Barracuda10 320GB 7200RPM 8MB SATA-2

Geforce 7950GT 256-BIT 512MB DDR3 PCI-E

Antec box + Antec 500W PSU

+ other relevant stuff

Should oc quite nicely and will kick my old P4 2.4GHz setups a.s! ;)

BTW. will XP Home support the Core Duo processor or do I need XP Pro?

Both XP Home and Pro will support Core Duo but I recommend going with XP Pro OEM as it will allow you to add the Vista Preimium upgrade, and its really just marginally more expensive...

I have read various posts from different gammers stateing that XP Home is all that is required for operating Core 2 Duo, But personally even though I have 2 PC's with a home network installed I'm looking for the higher security features that come with Vista preimium and the addional fuctionality's of this OS...

~S~

Blaze

intel Cor i7-6700K

ASUS ROG MAX VIII Extreme

G.Skill TridentZ Series 32 GB

Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SATA II

ASUS GTX 1080/DIRECTX 12

Windows 10 PRO

Thrustmaster Warthog

Oculus Rift VR

As my budget is only about 1200-1400€ (around $1500) this is the setup I plan to go with before christmas:

Core Duo E6400

Zalman CNPS8000 cooler

Asus P5B DELUXE mb

Kingston HyperX 2GB DDR2 DIMM 800MHZ (or 2x1GB, almost same price)

Seagate Barracuda10 320GB 7200RPM 8MB SATA-2

Geforce 7950GT 256-BIT 512MB DDR3 PCI-E

Antec box + Antec 500W PSU

+ other relevant stuff

Should oc quite nicely and will kick my old P4 2.4GHz setups a.s! ;)

I have the e6600 and running it on XP Home without a problem!:D

What is the Antec PSU in the case?

To the OP.... if you need a ballpark for Graphics head here..

http://www23.tomshardware.com/graphics.html

It sounds as if you're getting good stuff a month or more out so just wait... Mobo revisions etc will be out by then, and you may want to wait for ATI''s 600 releases.

as for other things... getting an x6800 is total overkill unless you're going phase change... you could bounce the multipliers around with the RAM but I just dont see the need.

My advice always is have a nicely scaled PC... meaning dont go all out on one thing just to skimp in another area. You'll be much happier.

I have the e6600 and running it on XP Home without a problem!:D

What is the Antec PSU in the case?

Its this one: http://www.antec.com/us/productDetails.php?ProdID=81802

It doesn't have a PSU as standard so I plan for this one: Antec Neo HE 500.

While investigating the OS compatibility I found this interesting thread: http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=60416

So, to enable Core 2 Duo support (or AMD x2) in XP some action is needed, atleast in most cases if the OS is installed by vendor from an image. Its a notebook forum but this also applies to desktops.