How is it compared to the Huey?

rge75

I think the perceived input delay has more to do with the aforementioned "flying on rails". The helicopter is super stable as long as you don't move the controls and even "fights back" trying to remain in stable attitude unless you move the stick significantly. But when you do that, it reacts very quickly. It's very different feel compared to other three helicopters in DCS, and I'm not sure if it's correct, don't think the real autopilot is so capable. But thanks to this it is also a very stable gun platform, shooting gun and rockets is much easier than in the other aircraft, just point and squeeze the trigger.

Yes, you can fly it inverted, but a "controlled inverted descend" is a more accurate term. There was a long thread about that.

Edited by some1

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

I think the perceived input delay has more to do with the aforementioned "flying on rails". The helicopter is super stable as long as you don't move the controls and even "fights back" trying to remain in stable attitude unless you move the stick significantly. But when you do that, it reacts very quickly. It's very different feel compared to other three helicopters in DCS, and I'm not sure if it's correct, don't think the real autopilot is so capable. But thanks to this it is also a very stable gun platform, shooting gun and rockets is much easier than in the other aircraft, just point and squeeze the trigger.

Yes, you can fly it inverted, but a "controlled inverted descend" is a more accurate term. There was a long thread about that.

Why use AP? Its on rails without it and very responsive and you gain a little more power. ;) :thumbup:

I do remember being a tad confused with action and response when I first started flying the Gazelle, I usually gave it more until it responded. I soon learnt that's not how it's done. :music_whistling:

Yes I have seen the videos, it's just when I try to or somehow mysteriously find myself getting inverted the outcome is fairly predictable and seems to model physics well enough for a simulator. :P

Edited by FragBum
Sorry typo

Control is an illusion which usually shatters at the least expected moment.

Gazelle Mini-gun version is endorphins with rotors. See above.

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

Why use AP? Its on rails without it and very responsive and you gain a little more power.

SAS in helicopters I believe is designed to, and normally is, on all the time unless defective. How well this model SAS duplicates RL only a true SA342 pilot can say however Polychop have said that RL pilots have commented on it sometimes being too assertive...

Yes of course you can fly with some or all the channels turned off and initially I tried this but concluded I prefer all channels on accepting Polychops modelling of RL SAS. I experience no difficulty. I'm sure if they receive feedback that the SAS needs tweaked they will.

Edited by Gizzy

SIGBLOCK.png

SAS in helicopters I believe is designed to, and normally is, on all the time unless defective. How well this model SAS duplicates RL only a true SA342 pilot can say however Polychop have said that RL pilots have commented on it sometimes being too assertive...

No way, say it ain't so.

Yes of course you can fly with some or all the channels turned off and initially I tried this but concluded I prefer all channels on accepting Polychops modelling of RL SAS. I experience no difficulty. I'm sure if they receive feedback that the SAS needs tweaked they will.

Meh turn AP off and I duno it shouldn't make any difference but I also turn trim off (maybe more input required for hover, maybe placebo ??) even turning the gyro off, no Gryo no AP is possible as I understand it. ;)

Edited by FragBum
quotes not correct

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

No way, say it ain't so.

Generally speaking the system should be engaged.

The SAS (Stability Augmentation System) when on, supplies short-term attitude and attitude rate stabilisation for use in hands-on flying. It is designed to stabilise the helicopter against outside disturbances, and augments or helps pilot input.

The SAS mode is designed so that pilot control motions (pitch and roll) are enhanced while helicopter motions caused by outside disturbances are counteracted.

As for 'flying on rails' that's SAS - what the aircraft designers intended to meet their customer requirements.

Of course, as I said you can fly with it all off or just one channel off or 2.

If you are flying low and fast in an operational environment have it on and it will assist you greatly by allowing you to concentrate on everything around you.

On the other hand it's a game, fly it anyway you want. If I was asked for advice I'd say learn it with SAS on.

To understand it further once familiar and competent in the aircraft with SAS on knock off the heading channel and fly low, fast and evasive.... then knock off the roll channel and fly and finally knock off the pitch.... continue flying some and then put the channels one at a time in the same reverse order.

SIGBLOCK.png

Generally speaking the system should be engaged.

The SAS (Stability Augmentation System) when on, supplies short-term attitude and attitude rate stabilisation for use in hands-on flying. It is designed to stabilise the helicopter against outside disturbances, and augments or helps pilot input.

The SAS mode is designed so that pilot control motions (pitch and roll) are enhanced while helicopter motions caused by outside disturbances are counteracted.

As for 'flying on rails' that's SAS - what the aircraft designers intended to meet their customer requirements.

Of course, as I said you can fly with it all off or just one channel off or 2.

If you are flying low and fast in an operational environment have it on and it will assist you greatly by allowing you to concentrate on everything around you.

On the other hand it's a game, fly it anyway you want. If I was asked for advice I'd say learn it with SAS on.

To understand it further once familiar and competent in the aircraft with SAS on knock off the heading channel and fly low, fast and evasive.... then knock off the roll channel and fly and finally knock off the pitch.... continue flying some and then put the channels one at a time in the same reverse order.

I know what it's for it's just not necessary to be able to fly it as a sim and it flies way better without it. :thumbup:

Tbh I find the input lag on the Gazelle to be a killer. Mine gathers dust. I don't know if it's just the FM, or the gyros or what have you, but it feels like a full half second from cyclic input to response. When the helo responds, it moves quickly, which makes reaction difficult, because again the response is awful.

Moreso than the other helicopters, you must fly by anticipation rather than feel. While you have to know to some extent what input you should have beforehand for all the helicopters, you can feel the others better. If you are flying reactively, by feel, with the Gazelle, you are doomed. At least if feels that way to me. The only saving grace, and I'm not sure if it's natural or contrived, is that the Gazelle is rock solid if you hold a given position. It flies on rails. I'm sure the AP has something to do with that, but I'm surprised there isn't more minor oscillation.

I have seen this statement a number of times and this is something I simply have not seen. For sure she slowed down a touch since introduction but still responds very quickly to input. This statement is something I do not see across the range of DCS modules and without doubt, I do not see it on this stop on a dime chopper!

You sure you ain't got the graphic settings too high!

DCS is not perfect, especially when flying fast and in the dirt!

ARE YOU SURE YOU ARE NOT SACRIFICING EYE CANDY FOR EYE HAND CO_ORDINATION?

You ain't got no spastic curves on your axis inputs have you?

Should be clean 1/1 inputs brother!

Edited by Rogue Trooper

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate as standard. OpenXR user, Open XR tool kit disabled. Open XR was a massive upgrade for me.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC at the mo. MT user  (2 - 5 fps gain). DCS run at 60Hz.

Vaicom user. Thrustmaster warthog user. MFG pedals with damper upgrade.... and what an upgrade! Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height with brail enhancements to ensure 100% button activation in VR.. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.... you know when you are dropping into VRS with this bad boy.