VA vs IPS panel monitors?

Thoughts? Which is best for DCS?

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

IPS TV

LED TV with an In-Plane Switching type panel.

Who should buy it: People with a wide living room who might watch the TV while sitting at an angle.

VA TV

LED TV with a Vertically Aligned type panel.

Who should buy it: Those looking for good picture quality in a dark room, and who don't have a need for wider viewing angles.

IPS VA

Viewing angle ~36 ° ~20 °

Contrast ~1000:1 >3000:1

Black Uniformity Poor Good

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thanks Kayos, but I already looked up the specifications of those monitors online. Im wondering if anyone has any hands-on experience with them in DCS? I know that IPS is a good choice, but Im thinking of going VA for the deep blacks, and high contrast.

I guess what Im asking is if anyone has a VA monitor, and is currently using it with DCS World?

Edited by OnlyforDCS

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

The black is better but does not come without a trade off, which is 4ms response time.

At 144Hz you spend HALF of your frametime saturating the colors = blurr effect.

The faster you want to go, the more you have to watch the relation between frametime ( desired value ) and your response time ( grey to grey usually ). If the ratio is rather uninviting then you will have blurr. That's the bottom line from what I know about this.

My TN may not have the best colors compared to my other screens but it's free of flicker and blurr due to that 1ms response.

Sadly, not all goes hand in hand, some things exclude each other to some extend and you have to make a point what you want and what you are willing to sacrifice.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

The black is better but does not come without a trade off, which is 4ms response time.

At 144Hz you spend HALF of your frametime saturating the colors = blurr effect.

The faster you want to go, the more you have to watch the relation between frametime ( desired value ) and your response time ( grey to grey usually ). If the ratio is rather uninviting then you will have blurr. That's the bottom line from what I know about this.

My TN may not have the best colors compared to my other screens but it's free of flicker and blurr due to that 1ms response.

Sadly, not all goes hand in hand, some things exclude each other to some extend and you have to make a point what you want and what you are willing to sacrifice.

Yeah TN is a huge big NO. 4ms response time is plenty enough for DCS World, for a 60Hz monitor. I don't play twitch shooters anymore, DCS is where Im at, and here the most important quality is contrast and color gamut.

50% of the time Im losing contacts due to them blending into the ground. Yeah I realize that the rendering is partly to blame for that and that the new engine might help with that, however I'm not going to be leaving anything to chance.

sure, 60Hz is 16,66ms frame time and thus 4ms is like 1/4 of it, thats a good relation and the frame will be ON long enough to get to full color.

I dont care about the colors too much, my goal is smooth and fluent, fast and responsiveness :)

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X