Imperial/Metrics units

mx22

Is there a way to set DCS to use default units (imperial/metric) based on the airplane? I've been flying F-5E a lot lately and had units set to Imperial, but yesterday decided to do a couple of L-39 training missions and it took me a bit to realize why I could not hit speed/altitude directions called out by the instructor.

Quartermaster username makes conversion mods.

Checkout and browse the MODS forum.

Go to DCS download section >>> Users Files and browse.

There must be a way to do the conversions, I suspect in the .lua files .

Might ask the modders >>> questions.

Edited by DieHard

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Is there a way to set DCS to use default units (imperial/metric) based on the airplane? I've been flying F-5E a lot lately and had units set to Imperial, but yesterday decided to do a couple of L-39 training missions and it took me a bit to realize why I could not hit speed/altitude directions called out by the instructor.

I agree. Should be a menu option where you have the option IMPERIAL/METRIC default set by PLANE !

g8PjVMw.png

I thought if you set it to metric the western planes would still use imperial in the cockpit. In external view the stats would be in metric. That's how it works for me with the F-5E. I don't own the L-39

But yes I agree each plane should operate in the units it was designed for.

I searched the forum and it looks like this is an issue with L-39 only as it apparently has two official cockpit versions; shouldn't be a problem for the other planes. I agree with Mainstay, ED should put an option for L-39 under plane options.

Issue has nothing to do with the L-39. Issue is East vs West types of planes (and flying with an AI dummie). In a day or two, you will be at ease with any numbers and it wont matter.

otherwise? Nothing is going to change. Dead horse here... :)

Edited by JG14_Smil

L-39 changes based language set in DCS... Others dont...

The L-39 Metric/Imperial Instrument selection is made using DCS's Global units.

attachment.php?attachmentid=148995&stc=1&d=1475018098

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

The L-39 Metric/Imperial Instrument selection is made using DCS's Global units.

attachment.php?attachmentid=148995&stc=1&d=1475018098

Precisely and that's where the problem is. I had Imperial units set as I needed them for the map when I was flying F-5; when I switched to L-39, I ended up with instruments in Imperial too, but instructor was calling speeds/altitude in Metric. In the end, this was not a huge issues as I ended up realizing what was happening in the end and switched to the correct units, but I would have preferred instrument unit selection for L-39 happen in plane specific options as its more intuitive.

Edited by mx22

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

+unlimited for units "by plane" option. We can change coordinates with a keystroke, should be possible to do that as well with units, and having an option to set them dependant on the plane's used units. Taking measurements for navigation on the map and realizing you're on the wrong units again is just pain...

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg