What tactics work with the spitfire?

How are you guys flying the spit? Nothing I do seems to work. I can't out climb or out dive the 109 or 190. Even if I do get the height advantage I can't b&z because the spit loses control effectiveness at high speeds and the wings snap off. Seems the only option is to play defense in a constant turn chasing your tale gaining nothing until enough of them b&z you to shoot you down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Some tips for 1940 but I guess for Mk IX tactics would be very similar anyway...

Thanks I'll take a look. I can fight like crazy in CLoD, but DCS, the plane is just to twitchy. Not to mention the convergence is way to far out in front. I'd like to set it to about 200yds.

Thanks I'll take a look. I can fight like crazy in CLoD, but DCS, the plane is just to twitchy. Not to mention the convergence is way to far out in front. I'd like to set it to about 200yds.

Heh I heard that convergence is something which is set by whole Air Force as standard. And Aces or Flight Commanders who can set their own convergence are really an exception. Also dont forget to add curves to ur axis ;P

P

Edited by The_Tau

What tactics work with the spitfire?

Heh I heard that convergence is something which is set by whole Air Force as standard. And Aces or Flight Commanders who can set their own convergence are really an exception

That's true, there was a standard set by the RAF, but there's also lots of documentation that supports that many wing commanders and individual pilots changed their convergence to personal preference. However I degrees and would like to stay on the tactics topic. Thanks

I do have my axes setup (thanks) always adjusting. but it's still very twitchy! Of coarse I'm comparing it to the CLoD spitfire. And my 20 years of flying real planes. Seems any little change to speed or engine will throw the spit way out of trim. That's not my problem though, it's figuring out what tactics work best with this particular spit.

Edited by Campbell

it feels twitchy because of the light elevators, you need to be very gentle when pulling back. Are you using a centre stick or side stick?

Regarding tactics, due to the slow speed you do have to fight quite defensively... you just cannot lone wolf it like the K4 & D9. The best thing you can do is jump on TS & get yourself a wingman then you can fight a bit more offensively.

Windows 10 Pro | ASUS RANGER VIII | i5 6600K @ 4.6GHz| MSI RTX 2060 SUPER | 32GB RAM | Corsair H100i | Corsair Carbide 540 | HP Reverb G2 | MFG crosswind Pedals | Custom Spitfire Cockpit

Project IX Cockpit

it feels twitchy because of the light elevators, you need to be very gentle when pulling back. Are you using a centre stick or side stick?

Regarding tactics, due to the slow speed you do have to fight quite defensively... you just cannot lone wolf it like the K4 & D9. The best thing you can do is jump on TS & get yourself a wingman then you can fight a bit more offensively.

Yea, I'm currently using a side stick all CH product. I fly the ATAG with CLoD all the time. Those guys are all over team speak so comms are great. I've had very few people get on team speak with DCS. Even today I was on steel balls server. There where nearly 30 of us and only myself and one other fellow was on comms. Apparently people are radio shy. I'm always using team speak for the team work aspect, but it's only worth it if people actually use it.

They don't need Team Speak to do their turning furballs solo. If we had real missions that need teamwork it would be different.

Oh well, that's always been most of the online play, except for squads. No matter what the sim is.

Buzz

here my tips for the Spit IX :

I) first of all practice standard touch and go and adjust your curves

my curves

on Pitch : is 35 curvature and 7 on deadzone.

on roll : no curvature or just a few no deadzone

on rudder : curvature 10 no deadzone ( you need a predictable response for this one so don't touch it too much)

on Manifold pressure : curvature 50 slider ( invert or not depends on your joystick response, the idea is to have fine tune on low pressure, for landing without too much torque effect )

set game special spit settings helper to 0 as i feel it more difficult for the aircraft to be predictable with this set to anything else 0.

set your fuel to half.

II) practice standard aerobatics

once on straight flight, once trimed, on a standard setting of 12 MFP and 2600-2700 RPM

once your speed is > 250 and piper on horizon you can perform standard aerobatics usefull in combat.

III) Fight against 190 and 109 AI first

You can set them heavy with full fuel, armed or not. and increase difficulty the more you feel confortable

1) FAQ : the 190 always go far away faster than me :

just put the piper below the horizon you will gain some speed, don't touch rudder, (it will make you lose some speed sort of a sideway ). set Manifold to 12 adjust RPM between 2500-2700. if the 190 turn, cut the turn with a little of rudder inside the turn. better to gain some speed with the pipper below horizon and then pop up in his 6.

2) FAQ : the 109 alway go very high turn and cross me front : go immelman, once vertical do a roll to grab the same heading as your target, use more rudder than against a 190 ... practice is the key.

as a basic tip : keep your speed and energy as much as possible, as soon you shoot it, go to cruise setting to cold the motors, fly high and practice the boom & zoom technique. spit can also do it.

If you're followed in your six : do a barrel roll + an other aerobatic ( without losing too much speed except if your aim is to have it in your 12 on final . if you're going to overshoot target, do also a barrel rool or do a larger turn than your target does.

once again practice is the key.

i7-10700KF CPU  3.80GHz - 32 GO Ram - - nVidia RTX 2070 -  SSD Samsung EVO with LG  TV screen 40"  in 3840x2150 -  cockpit scale 1:1

- MS FFB2 Joystick  - COUGAR F16 throttle  - Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals