Mission 12 - lost in frustration

rge75

• 1 month later...

I'm very frustrated after 5th attempt.

Have been shot down within seconds, with the 2nd blast from little boats.

Loaded with rockets and destroyed the boats, but mission failed as Major was hit in heli.

Tried getting copilot to fire so I can fly and avoid fire. Copilot refuses to fire ever.

Mounted M60 side guns for same, but door gunners refuse to fire ever.

I'm not sure if Rogue1 is supposed to die. On first try he stayed airborne. The next 4 times he was shot down instantly each time.

I'm finding missions generally frustrating... long flight times to target area. Little or no support. Copilot and door gunners almost never fire. Aircraft is overloaded weight-wise for most missions. The entire war effort hinges on the pilot of an old Huey? I'm honored. Sorry venting in frustration.

• 4 months later...

The speedboats are VERY accurate. I got blasted out of the sky instantly 5 times now ... I was able to kill the first 1 once, but I had no bullet left to even try the 2 after that.

The accuracy and hitpoints of the enemy speedboats needs to be lowered.

Very frustrating, do not want to skip the mission.

• Like 1

I don't know how you do the attack, but make sure you don't overfly the speedboats (in case you do). Turn off early enough. I had no problems with them. You may check the video I once did which might help you? Attack starts at 1:33.

Maybe the AI became better within the latest updates though? I don't know. I also let the co-pilot do the firing.

Edited by rge75

On 12/4/2020 at 12:18 PM, rge75 said:

I don't know how you do the attack, but make sure you don't overfly the speedboats (in case you do). Turn off early enough. I had no problems with them. You may check the video I once did which might help you? Attack starts at 1:33.

Maybe the AI became better within the latest updates though? I don't know. I also let the co-pilot do the firing.

Ye I wish, they are shooting much more and have much more hipoints now it looks like, I just managed to kill them, but it was a nightmare and have no ammo left and nothing works on the chopper I'm shoot to pieces, lucky to be able to fly.

Edit: I managed to hoover with the damaged helo and make my way back to the Argo with some dead-reckoning since no nav instument was working any more. It was my 8th try 😄 finally over 😄

Edited by Balu010
  • Like 1

• 5 months later...

Finally got this mission done. It took several times, I think over ten times. Last time those boats were destroyed by one strafing run for each pair where I was gunner on flexible sight.  

I am not very good in aiming yet 😄

This mission was frustating but luckily DCS have time acceleration. Argo campaign is very good overall, worth of every penny.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Specs: Ryzen 5800X3D, 32 GB RAM, Geforce RTX 3080, Quest 2, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, MFG Crosswind rudder pedals

• 3 months later...

I equipped rockets for this mission - co-pilot is a terrible shot and the boats are bullet sponges. Even with rockets I took a fair amount of damage from the four boats.

Intel Core i9 9900K 5.0GHz · Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER · Gigabyte Z390 AORUS PRO · Alienware 34" AW3418DW · Corsair 2TB M.2 NVMe · 64Gb Corsair Vengeance 3200MHz DDR4 · Windows 10 · TM HOTAS Warthog · VPC ACE-2 Rudder Pedals · VPC V.F.X Grip · VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Grip · Virpil WarBRD base · HP Reverb Pro · 3x TM MFD · Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC · 2x LG Throttle Quadrants · LG Switch Panel · LG Multi Panel · LG Radio Panel · Buttkicker Gamer & JetSeat

Nick Jennings

• 3 months later...

I was able to finish this mission with DCS 2.7 , this is the approach I took:

Spoiler

I used door gunners. While I was getting closer to the ship I started orbiting the ship at medium distance, enough for the gunners to shoot, but not too close for the boats to hit you always. When you start orbiting the cargo ship the boats miss more shots. I put the door gunners in free fire and works, they become more accurate than the boats.

After that just hold the helicopter in the middle of the cargo, just in the zone of the barrels.

I hope this helps.

• 6 months later...

10 attempts, 10 failed missions. I can't destroy the enemy ships.
The Black Hawk is very slow, is this normal?

Edited by Marc_63

i7 6700K OC @ 4.5 Ghz, Asus Z170-A, 32 Go Ram, MSI GTX 1080 Ti 11GB, XSPC Water Cooling, W10 64

Oculus Rift CV1, Hotas Warthog, MFG Rudder.

I made 5 more.

Unable to use the door gunners because they were not available. I positioned myself in the co-pilot's place.

I managed to destroy the first 2 boats but no more ammo for the other 2.
I skip this mission, enough is enough. I don't even want to try with the rockets. I have no more fun.

Way too difficult compared to the first 11 missions.

Sorry for my English, I use a translator.

• Like 1

i7 6700K OC @ 4.5 Ghz, Asus Z170-A, 32 Go Ram, MSI GTX 1080 Ti 11GB, XSPC Water Cooling, W10 64

• 3 weeks later...

Impossible for me to add machine gunners. Miniguns not available. I don't know why.

Agree with you the AI is way too strong.

Edited by Marc_63

Yes, I have the rearming screen.
In the screen there are just the rockets that are available.

14 hours ago, Marc_63 said:

Yes, I have the rearming screen.
In the screen there are just the rockets that are available.

Are you on Stable or OpenBeta?
This is what I see in OB. Remember the gunners are on stations 3/4.
Cheers!

image.png

Edited by MAXsenna
Missing text
  • Thanks 1

I understand why I only had the rockets.
I had clicked in the ''Select Loadout'' box.

Thank you very much for the screenshot. It is much appreciated. 👍

I will do the mission again soon. 😀

• Like 1