Sidewinder Instructions in Flight Manual - Appear to be Incorrect

kronovan

On page 131 of the FC3 Flight Manual, under the Air-to-Air Weapons Delivery mode section of the A-10A HUD and TV Monitor Ops chapter, it mentions pressing the 2 or 3 key to activate this GAU-8A or AIM 9-Ms. However, when I access config and look at my control options for the A-10A, keys 2 and 3 aren't even options, just 1, 6 and 7. I believe I did manage to select a Sidewinder at 1 point, but can't remember how, might have been 6 + D, but I'm not sure; missile just thudded into the tree tops anyways.

So far I've only been messing around in the A-10A CAS insta action, but I'd love to fire some Sidewinders on those Gunships

So I'm wondering how you use AIM-9Ms with the A-10A, or if it's even possible?

Edited by kronovan

• 2 weeks later...

"2" & "3" on the main keyboard ( not NumPad) are default A2A modes for FC3 aircraft. So either of those ought to bring up missiles if you have them. Unfortunately I'm not where I can check my installation to see if something has changed.

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1...CR6IZ7crfdZxDg

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

Thanks for the reply.

"2" & "3" on the main keyboard ( not NumPad) are default A2A modes for FC3 aircraft. So either of those ought to bring up missiles if you have them. Unfortunately I'm not where I can check my installation to see if something has changed.

Well that's what I tried (main number keys) but no that doesn't work for the A-10A; works for the F-15C though. As was pointed out by another forum member in my other thread that I accidentally made in the F-15C forum; the A-10A automatically enables both the AIM-9M and gun funnel when Air-to-Air mode [6] is selected. The FC3 manual appears to errantly refer to procedures in the A-10A section that you'd use for another jet. The bigger problem though is the AIM-9M seeker reticule remaining fixed in the upper portion of the A-10A HUD - not sure it that's a feature or a bug?

Edited by kronovan

Thanks for the reply.

Well that's what I tried (main number keys) but no that doesn't work for the A-10A; works for the F-15C though. As was pointed out by another forum member in my other thread that I accidentally made in the F-15C forum; the A-10A automatically enables both the AIM-9M and gun funnel when Air-to-Air mode [6] is selected. The FC3 manual appears to errantly refer to procedures in the A-10A section that you'd use for another jet. The bigger problem though is the AIM-9M seeker reticule remaining fixed in the upper portion of the A-10A HUD - not sure it that's a feature or a bug?

If memory serves, it might be that the instructions were never updated from the FC1.x manual. So use "6", since that's the current key press. And I think that the fixed reticule is by design. It floats a bit with the target, once the target is locked but you don't control it manually. You'll also get a tone and flashing reticule as you close the range.

EDIT: Rather than rely on memory, I decided to check the FC1.2 manual (yes, I still have it). It says to press the "2" key. So they did revise the current instructions at least once. It just hasn't been updated to reflect the current command "6" which is longitudinal aiming mode. Also, in FC 1.x the reticule was in the center of the HUD and, if I'm interpreting the old manual correctly, behaves the same way it does currently in the A-10A. So the position has been changed. I'm guessing by design. Haven't been in the A-10C's cockpit in over a year. Don't remember where it's located in that version. It may have been altered to match the A-10C's initial position?

Edited by Ironhand

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1...CR6IZ7crfdZxDg

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

Yes the manuals are slightly flawed, but I use all the number keys in aircraft that I fly so there's no need to memorise different keys for different aricraft. And yes, as Iron-handed mentioned, the Sidewinders are working as intended. Same way they work in the F-15 too although the Eagle can "radar slave" the Sidewinder so it has a larger detection radius.