Guide - Enhancing head movement on TrackIR

Hello,

I'd like to share a small Guide that I wrote a few days ago at "La Fundacion" forum's (http://www.universo-lf.net/); about how to enhance our movement ability within the aircraft's cockpit, when using TrackIR (or any similar kind of headtracking device):

Introduction:

Back, when I had just gotten my headtracking device (a TrackIR clon) I was amazed at the movement freedom this device gives to our virtual alter ego ... we can easily look in any direction and we can also move our "virtual head" in three directions: side to side, front to back and top to bottom.

On most of DCS' aircraft, the limits on these movements are more than enough, however there are some aircrafts where the movements that we can have with our virtual head are more restrictive than one would desire.

I believe that this is because in real life a pilot is strapped to the seat and cant really move too much ... thus, this restriction can simply be a developer's desire to be "more realistic".

However, the resolution limitations on our monitors sometimes make the instruments harder to read than in real life ... that's why I believe that we actually need a little more movement freedom, even if that means that we can look from vantage points that a real pilot cant achieve.

For example, this is a brief video where I test how much I can move inside the cockpit of an F-5 fighter ... on this video I'm not making use of zoom, which is at a neutral point, but rather I'm just moving my head on three directions until I reach the limits imposed by DCS:

On this example, the F-5 allows adequate movement from side to side; not so much in front to back, and definitely almost no ability to crouch a little.

Fortunately, DCS allows us to configure these limits ... compare with what we can achieve tuning a parameter called "limits_6DOF":

We can see how much of an improvement we get when we can see the instruments up close, and get near the side consoles.

Other DCS aircrafts that can benefit from this tuning are the Ka-50, the C-101 and the Mirage 2000C; on the next section of this Guide I want to show how it's done.

Configure 6DOF:

The 6DOF parameter is adjusted on a file called server.lua, located on the folder Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World\Config\ .... but rather than directly modify this file, which would have several disadvantages such as having to repeat the adjustment every time that the DCS updater overwrites this file, and failing the integrity check if we play online; what we will do is copying it to the folder Saved Games\DCS\Config\View; like shown on this picture:

f01.png

This folder is automatically created when we define a SnapView, but if it has not been created yet, we can create it manually.

This server.lua file contains adjustments for the Flamming Cliff aircrafts, the A-10C, the Ka-50, the Su-25T and the P-51 and looks more or less like this (I've colapsed some sections for clarity):

f02.png

For this example, I want to modify the values of the F-5 aircraft, but this plane doesnt appear on the stock Server.lua ... what do we do in this case? ... the answer is to look for a file called Views.lua for the aircraft ... in this case, its this one:

f07.png

If we open the file (using the notepad++ text editor ... never use the Windows' WordPad or Notepad for these edits); we have to locate a section named "View settings" and copy it to the end of our Server.lua file (The copy that we now have on Saved Games) ... this is the contents of the F-5's Views.lua file:

f08.png

... now, we need to copy the "View settings" section; our server.lua file will end up like this:

f09.png

We can see that I've just copied the "View settings" section, but have edited two things:

1) On the View settings line, I've added the name of the aircraft, like this: ["F-5E-3"] ... the name of the plane must be the same that the Mission Editor uses for it. This is so that DCS will know that these View settings are only for this aircraft.

2) I've edited the values on the line "limits_6DOF"; where "z" is the movement limits of our head side to side, "y" is the limits from bottom to top, and "x" is the movement from back to front. I've changed all the values to widen these limits in order to be able to get nearer the instruments and to be able to crutch a bit.

And that's all, the change will take effect on DCS' next restart ... I've tuned these values trough trial and error; because if we increase them too much we can encounter undesirable effects, like being able to put our head inside the seat cushion 🙂

I must note that this tuning can also be used on DCS 2.0 aircrafts, like we can see on this last video:

Cheers.

Edited by Rudel_chw
Fixed video links
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 4

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

That IS an interesting guide. Maybe I'll finally be able to remove the dreaded limits from F-86 cockpit and read the numbers and writings on side panels at least.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

• 5 months later...
Will this be lost with each DCS World update and thus needs to be copied again and again?

Not at all ... you are just editing a file within your "saved games" file tree ... it isn't touched by the DCS install and also it doesn't affect the multiplayer's Integrity Check.

Can i present the file with Ovgme to the game?

Yes, you can ... it would allow you to quickly getting back to standard DCS ... thats a big plus of OvGME, I have mine setup with four profiles: one for putting mods on DCS 1.5 program files, another for 2.1, another for putting mods on DCS 1.5 saved games, and the last for saved games on DCS 2.0

Best regards

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Thanks for this guide.

The Harrier y limit would not let me see under the UFC to see the HUD controls. This helped me fix that! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Has anyone tried this method for the harrier?

Server.lua(either in DCS/saved games) trick doesn't work for this aircraft...

I did put this ViewSettings code in the Server.lua in my Users folder and it worked fine.

Maybe you didn't have the aircraft name correct? It was a little flaky testing it because sometimes it seemed I just had to exit the mission and reload it to see my changes. And other times I had to completely exit the game. I think you just need to exit the mission to see the changes actually, but I'm not positive. If you make changes that are outside the bounds of what your TrackIR software is limiting, or other game limits or something within the cockpit, it may seem like you didn't change anything. Anyway..

I just changed the y parameters so that I could move my head low enough to see HUD controls.

ViewSettings["[b][u][color="Red"]AV8BNA[/color][/u][/b]"] = {
   Cockpit = {
       [1] = {-- player slot 1
           CockpitLocalPoint         = {0.00,0.000,0.000},
           CameraViewAngleLimits     = {20.0000,140.0000},
           CameraAngleRestriction    = {false,90.000000,0.500000},
           CameraAngleLimits         = {200,-90.000000,90.000000},
           EyePoint                  = {0.000000,0.000000,0.000000},
           ShoulderSize             = 0.25,
           Allow360rotation        = false,
           -- limits_6DOF --------------------------------
           -- "x" is the movement limits of our head side to side, 
           -- "y" is the limits from bottom to top, and 
           -- "z" is the movement from back to front. 
           -- --------------------------------------------
           limits_6DOF = {x = {-0.05,0.30}, y ={[b][u][color="red"]-0.30[/color][/u][/b],0.10}, z = {-0.20,0.20}, roll = 90.000000},
       },
   }, -- Cockpit

Edited by Snacko

Intel I9-10850K (OC @ 5.0ghz) │ Asus Maximus XII Hero │ G.Skill Ripjaws 64GB (4x16GB) DDR4 3200 │ Thermaltake Water 360mm
Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24gb │ 2TB M.2 EVO Pro; 1T M.2 EVO; Sandisk SSD Drives │ 49" Samsung Curved Widescreen │ 28" Touchscreen

- ҉ - Blackshark Cockpit Trainer - ҉ -    Thread   | Download

Thanks for this guide.

The Harrier y limit would not let me see under the UFC to see the HUD controls. This helped me fix that! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Glad to hear about it ... and thanks for sharing your configuration, I do have the Harrier, but haven't yet started to learn it ... will try your settings when I do start my training with this plane.

Amazing work. Thank you very much. Nice and clearly explained too. Bravo!

Quick question though.

What is the best TrackIR 5 profile to use with these settings?

The One to One or Default or create a custom one with the head limits you feel most physically comfortable with?

Edited by Elphaba

What is the best TrackIR 5 profile to use with these settings?

The One to One or Default or create a custom one with the head limits you feel most physically comfortable with?

Actually, this Guide applies to any headtracking device, not just trackIR ... i know what the thread title says, its just that trackir is a more widely known term.

Your headtracking configuration allows you to adjust how much your real head movement shall be translated into a virtual head movement.

This Guide deals with how to widen the limits that DCS has for the virtual head movement, your headtracking device may allow a large range of head movement, but that´s useless if DCS wont let you move the virtual head to where you want to.

So, short answer, you should create your own headtracking profile, that way it will take into account the size of your head, the position of your camera or sensor, and the lighting of your room; even if I could share my profile it probably wouldnt fit your situation.

Best regards

• 7 months later...

I did everything that you explained in the guide but I could not find the folder `view` in `Saved Games - DCS - Config` so what I ve done I copy and paste the folder `view` from the game file. I then finish by following all your instruction but I still get the same movements.

Keep in mind that I am trying this with F/A 18-C Lot 20

I did everything that you explained in the guide but I could not find the folder `view` in `Saved Games - DCS - Config` so what I ve done I copy and paste the folder `view` from the game file. I then finish by following all your instruction but I still get the same movements.

Keep in mind that I am trying this with F/A 18-C Lot 20

I have the same result with the F/A-18. No change in movements. I suspect its due to the name of the aircraft in the LUA file, but i tried all different ways with no change to the movements. i gave up after about an hour playing with the LUA file. i will continue to fiddle with it and reply back here if I get it to work. Best of luck with it!

Windows 10 64 bit, Intel i7 7700k @ 4.7ghz, 16 gb G-Skill Ripjaws DDR4 2800mhz ram, Asus Prime Z270-A mobo, EVGA RTX 2070, 240gb SSD,500gb Samsung 850 evo SSD,500gb HDD, Warthog stick, TWCS throttle,, Thrustmaster T-flight Rudder Pedals, Track IR 5

I have the same result with the F/A-18. No change in movements. I suspect its due to the name of the aircraft in the LUA file, but i tried all different ways with no change to the movements. i gave up after about an hour playing with the LUA file. i will continue to fiddle with it and reply back here if I get it to work. Best of luck with it!

Much appreciated!

I did everything that you explained in the guide but I could not find the folder `view` in `Saved Games - DCS - Config` so what I ve done I copy and paste the folder `view` from the game file.

Hello,

The guide says "This folder is automatically created when we define a SnapView, but if it has not been created yet, we can create it manually."

So, you just need to create the folder, and then copy to it just one file (not a whole folder): server.lua

I will check the F-18 case and get back to you :)

Best regards

I have the same result with the F/A-18. No change in movements. I suspect its due to the name of the aircraft in the LUA file ..

Hello,

I tried it today and it does work, this is the section name for the F-18:

EF1wg5i.jpg

The commented (green) 6DOF line is the standard value that the plane comes with, and it looks like this:

5c5qDciKtyw

My custom values (the 6DOF in uncommented black), look like this within the plane:

LKWApaTw9Ak

Best regards,

Eduardo

Hello,

EF1wg5i.jpg

The commented (green) 6DOF line is the standard value that the plane comes with, and it looks like this:

5c5qDciKtyw

My custom values (the 6DOF in uncommented black), look like this within the plane:

LKWApaTw9Ak

Best regards,

Eduardo

YES! I am glad you got it working. It is in fact the name of the aircraft in my LUA file. I will set it up like you reference and all should be good!

Thank you!

Windows 10 64 bit, Intel i7 7700k @ 4.7ghz, 16 gb G-Skill Ripjaws DDR4 2800mhz ram, Asus Prime Z270-A mobo, EVGA RTX 2070, 240gb SSD,500gb Samsung 850 evo SSD,500gb HDD, Warthog stick, TWCS throttle,, Thrustmaster T-flight Rudder Pedals, Track IR 5

Hello,

EF1wg5i.jpg

5c5qDciKtyw

LKWApaTw9Ak

Best regards,

Eduardo

Thanks, I was using the editor name of the F 18 C, that s why it wasn`t working. How did you came up with that name? Just trying?

Just noticed that when I center my trackIR it is all the way correct, its like if I am really high but still inside the cockpit. Does this also happen to you?

Not to that degree ... the center position of the head changes a little when you edit the limits.

You may try to re-define your default view (the one you get when you press NumPad 5) with this procedure:

Customising the Default View:

First, stop your headtracking software, then:

1. Press Num5 to reset your view to the current default.

2. Adjust your view to what you want as the new default but do not use any snap view keys in the process, only these keys:

"Num/ - RCtrl - RShift" Cockpit Camera Move Back

"Num2 - RCtrl - RShift" Cockpit Camera Move Down

"Num* - RCtrl - RShift" Cockpit Camera Move Forward

"Num8 - RCtrl - RShift" Cockpit Camera Move Up

"Num8" Turn Cockpit Camera Up

"Num2" Turn Cockpit Camera Down

"Num/" FOV- aka Zoom-in

"Num*" FOV+ aka Zoom-out

3. Press RALT+Num0 - your new default view should now be saved.

Test it by changing your view, then pressing Num5 - your view should return to your customised default!

Best regards

PD: This default view is By aircraft, so the procedure only customizes your current plane.

Edited by Rudel_chw

Not to that degree ... the center position of the head changes a little when you edit the limits.

You may try to re-define your default view (the one you get when you press NumPad 5) with this procedure:

Customising the Default View:

First, stop your headtracking software, then:

1. Press Num5 to reset your view to the current default.

2. Adjust your view to what you want as the new default but do not use any snap view keys in the process, only these keys:

"Num/ - RCtrl - RShift" Cockpit Camera Move Back

"Num2 - RCtrl - RShift" Cockpit Camera Move Down

"Num* - RCtrl - RShift" Cockpit Camera Move Forward

"Num8 - RCtrl - RShift" Cockpit Camera Move Up

"Num8" Turn Cockpit Camera Up

"Num2" Turn Cockpit Camera Down

"Num/" FOV- aka Zoom-in

"Num*" FOV+ aka Zoom-out

3. Press RALT+Num0 - your new default view should now be saved.

Test it by changing your view, then pressing Num5 - your view should return to your customised default!

Best regards

PD: This default view is By aircraft, so the procedure only customizes your current plane.

That went well, the only thing is that to change the angle there is no sett like Turn Cockpit camera up/down, u must change it with views.