GPU upgrade advice

I'm on socket AM3+ with bull 8150 and 8 GB RAM and currently have GTX 650 2GB OC from gigabyte and considering one of the following options for GPU (Win 7 home x64):

1- GTX 780 as per recommended dcs specs

2- GTX 970 Strix

3- GTX 1080

my case is mini atx thus I may need to upgrade that as well and PSU is 400 watt so that as well. Might even consider a SSD.

Thing is, I dont know which aspects to look for when upgrading stuff for DCS.

So what do you guys think?

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

Those cards are so different in performance capability that it comes down to only one thing. What are willing to spend? I have a 780 in the closet and that is two card swaps ago. I would be hesitant to try and sell it because it is so out of date that most people would not want to invest the cost to ship it.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

I just want decent framerates. I can cough at max 200 USD. Shall I wait for a bargain? my main concern is performance within good limits to one more year.

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

I just want decent framerates. I can cough at max 200 USD. Shall I wait for a bargain? my main concern is performance within good limits to one more year.

How low are you willing to set your graphic settings? Nevada and Normandy are completely different animals than the current Caucasus map, so good frame rates is a relative thing.

Also, you are unlikely to get a GTX 1080 (new) at that price, right now. A 1060 3GB you can get, but not a 1080.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

$200 for GPU does not buy much unfortunately - perhaps GTX 1060? I don't think 1080 will be going down to $200 even on sale any time soon... Also I would definitely spend money on more RAM (at least go for 16GB RAM) and SSD if you do not have one already.

Do check how much or little space you have in the case though, cause some cards are monsters, and then obviously check their dimensions too.

- Jack of many DCS modules, master of none.

- Personal wishlist: F-15A, F-4S Phantom II, JAS 39A Gripen, SAAB 35 Draken, F-104 Starfighter, Panavia Tornado IDS.

| Windows 11 | i5-12400 | 64Gb DDR4 | RTX 3080 | 2x M.2 | 27" 1440p | Rift CV1 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind pedals |

I have a GTX 1070 and it is the biggest graphics card I have owned. I would definitely check the sizes of any card you intend to but with that case. They do make smaller versions of various cards from time to time, so you will find something I'm sure.

i7-7700K/Gigabyte RTX2080/Win10 64bit/32Gb RAM/Asus Xonar DX+Sennheiser HD380pro headphones/LG 34" UM65 @2560x1080/TM Warthog+VKB MkIV Rudder pedals/Rift CV1

well my current card is cramped inside this case. its a coolermaster "ice commander" something like that or "snow cone".. my card now loads the textures nicely but there are stutters. What aspect might a GPU upgrade improve? preload? trees visibility? I see youtube vids with smooth as butter almost like the render track feature. I am not getting nevada Or normandy anytime soon (my only interests are campaigns and modules).

If my budget was $200, I would definitely go with SSD.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

200 USD? Save the money and wait until you can make a better upgrade, that's not enough to get you reasonable returns in DCS. If it's burning a hole in your pocket, literally everyone agrees (no, really) that an SSD is the best single component upgrade you can make on an aging computer.

rx 480 8gb. :)

I will not start a GPU war on my thread but I've tried both nvidia and amd cards and prefer the former. Also, by looking at the specs, amd has more cores more ROPS, more TMUS, more bandwidth compared to the 970 strix. Not sure what in the heck those things mean, but from my laymans experience, numbers do play when performance is needed but which numbers would help me decide that is the key question.

image.thumb.png.a184994c7b9538c728823087eadcab52.png

Get used card, 200usd is enoug if you wont look new one.

Sent when im drunk with my iphone near me :)

no prefer new GPU

200 USD? Save the money and wait until you can make a better upgrade, that's not enough to get you reasonable returns in DCS. If it's burning a hole in your pocket, literally everyone agrees (no, really) that an SSD is the best single component upgrade you can make on an aging computer.

I'm trying to dedicate 200 for GPU alone.

rx 480 8gb. :)

see the post above

Try upgrading to SSD, that should solve your stuttering issues.

on my list

If my budget was $200, I would definitely go with SSD.

on my list

so my current options graphics wise are 780 and 970 strix, really no AMD is entering my pc foyer.

The trick is to balance the components together. If you have a weak cpu, then a $600 graphics card will do little to improve anything, equally if you have the latest i7 screamer and just use a cheap GPU then you won't get the full benefit. If you do get a GPU that's way better than your CPU can feed, you have another upgrade step there down the line, so you'll be getting the best you can on current CPU, then upgrade that down the line and you will see the benefit.

RAM and SSD will also have an effect.

I had a 970 before my 1070 and it ran DCS quite well, so one of those or a 1060. Something like this might suit you

https://www.cclonline.com/product/214819/ZT-P10610A-10L/Graphics-Cards/ZOTAC-GeForce-GTX-1060-3GB-Graphics-Card-PCI-E-3-x-DisplayPort-HDMI-DVI/VGA3599/

I think Zotac have a five year guarantee also.

i7-7700K/Gigabyte RTX2080/Win10 64bit/32Gb RAM/Asus Xonar DX+Sennheiser HD380pro headphones/LG 34" UM65 @2560x1080/TM Warthog+VKB MkIV Rudder pedals/Rift CV1

1366x768

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1366x768

I would get a new monitor.

I would get a new monitor.

This would definitely require GPU upgrade - assuming OP has stuttering issues already, going to 1920x1080 (I assume that's pretty much what all new monitors would have as native resolution unless you go for 4K or widescreens) would just magnify this problem.

SSD, 16GB RAM, GTX 1060 would be my upgrade route and probably in the order I listed them (given how cheap RAM is, I would do SSD and RAM as one step). I'm not too familiar with AMD's, but I think 8150 is 2011/12 - I don't know if putting GTX 1060 will improve things much at this point. For a time, I tried running DCS on my old gaming laptop with i7-3610QM, 8GB RAM and GTX 660M and it wasn't a very happy experience - adding another 8GB RAM and switching to SSD solved my stuttering issues then (obviously I was locked to 660M, so not sure how much gain new GPU would have given me - I would not expect much though as pretty much everyone agrees DCS is CPU hungry). So yea, SSD and RAM to see if problems get resolved. If not, I would invest heavily in GTX 1070/1080 - at least this card could be used in the future upgrade of the whole system which let's be honest, will happen sooner than later...

Well I shall go with your order but 10x0 is not in my budget now. I can shell for 780/970 but thats it.. GTX!

Have you seen the prices of DDR4 RAM recently, prices are going through the roof, your PC is probably worth more now than when you built itcry.gif

...most cards had a 3 year warranty, so a recent one will still have two years to go.

Three year warranty, yes. Transferable, no.

This warranty applies only to the original purchases of the Warranted Products from a retailer, mail order operation, or on-line retail store; this warranty will not extend to any person that acquires a Warranted Product on a used basis.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/manufacturer_warranty.html

Three year warranty, yes. Transferable, no.

Fair enough, it's transferable in Aus (by law, actually, from memory). Some even without a receipt (Apple products, and my Intel i5 6600K).

Also, that's the Nvidia warranty, isn't a branded card warranted by the company themselves (EG - Asus/Gigabyte etc). Guess it really depends on the level of local support, and local laws.

Z...

Edited by Barefoot Bandit