ATC broken in 1.5.6

Are there currently major issues with ATC in DCS 1.5.6 and the Mi-8 or in general?

Communcations with ATC works at first but after a while I get no response. This happens every flight with at least the Mi-8.

Is this a bug with the Mi-8, DCS in general or is there something wrong with my installation?

DCS:A-10C / DCS:Ka-50 / DCS:UH-1H / DCS:Mig21bis / DCS:P-51D / DCS:Mi-8MTV2 / DCS:Fw190D9 / DCS:Bf109K4 / DCS:C-101EB / DCS:L-39C / DCS:F-5E / DCS:Spitfire LF Mk. IX / DCS:AJS37

I've had no problem with ATC in 1.5.6

Are you using real or easy comms?

Easy Communication is OFF. I hav tested it again. This time on Kutaisi. The same again: At first all works well and after a few minutes: no response.

I can ask for takeoff multiple times, no answer. I can abort the takeoff, no answer. Nothing on the radio was changed. Frequency is the same, it's still on manual, its still the 863...

On my last installation a few weeks ago all was fine and on my new system it just won't work...

... and this is a quite fresh install of 1.5.6.

It seems I will have to test other modules if they are affected, too.

When you say "after a while", it's not because you're out of range of the ATC you're tuned into is it?

Questionable, because i'm still on ground. Only a few minutes (less than 5) have past.

DCS:A-10C / DCS:Ka-50 / DCS:UH-1H / DCS:Mig21bis / DCS:P-51D / DCS:Mi-8MTV2 / DCS:Fw190D9 / DCS:Bf109K4 / DCS:C-101EB / DCS:L-39C / DCS:F-5E / DCS:Spitfire LF Mk. IX / DCS:AJS37

Questionable, because i'm still on ground. Only a few minutes (less than 5) have past.

Ah, you didn't mention that.

Does raise another question:

You using the PTT or the coms menu keyboard key?

Either way, I'll go have a quick test now.

Also, assuming the engine + generators running and not sat there using battery or APU?

Edit:

Worked fine for me with a 10 minute gap between asking for startup and then asking for taxi clearance.

Edited by Buzzles

Ah, you didn't mention that.

Does raise another question:

You using the PTT or the coms menu keyboard key?

"Radio Trigger - Radio"

And maybe that has changed. I have deleted my old joystick config and DCS has bound all Buttons 1 on all devices to "Radio Trigger - Radio" on the fresh config.

Maybe that was different on my old installation.

I have tried the coms menu (key \) too and it didn't work either.

EDIT: This config should be correct. The other buttons are not mapped on my sticks anyway. And I tried it again: got taxi to runway, got takeoff permission but in flight just 2 km from the runway I got no response. Again after a few minutes. ATC is completely dead then.

I will check other modules tomorrow.

Edited by Nereid

A

Also, assuming the engine + generators running and not sat there using battery or APU?

Engine and generators are running. Rectifiers are enabled too. APU is off. Battery: Dunno. I switch them off sometimes but this shouldn't make any difference.

BTW: Squelch gives a nice noise every time. So the radios do have power.

Interesting.

I've just done a 30+ potter around Novo, landing twice. Radio worked fine all the time.

Strange. Maybe an update went wrong and I should do a reinstall of DCS and all modules...

There are quite a few crashes every then and now anyway.

Sometimes ATC is a little slow to respond though.

What exactly means slow? I have waited about 60 seconds for a response but nothing...

And even later there was never a delayed response anyway. After landing (without permission) I just got the usual "...parking area..." messages.

On my old rig a few weeks ago all was working fine. :cry:

Edited by Nereid

Any cockpit mods installed? They shouldn't affect radio comms I guess, but still...

Reinstalling the whole thing is the "last resort" solution. Doing a cleanup and a repair first is usually enough.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

Any cockpit mods installed? They shouldn't affect radio comms I guess, but still...

No. Just a few skins (just for the AJS 37). Its a complete fresh installation just a few weeks old. And because its a new computer and DCS was not on the top list to test, I have not tried it that much - until last weekend.

Reinstalling the whole thing is the "last resort" solution. Doing a cleanup and a repair first is usually enough.

I willy try it. But it seems there is something broken with my installation or my system.

Ok, I did a repair and now all seems to work fine - except a small glitch I do not understand.

There is a switch called "Laryngophone Microphone" labeled MIC on the right triangular console. I remember a startup procedure where this switch has to be set to on (upper position). But now ATC won't answer if it is set to on. Switching back to off (lower position) ATC will respond just fine.

This could explain at least about a half of my no-response-experience. But yesterday I checked this without touching anything but the stick after ATC had responded at least once. And ATC stopped to respond a few minutes later. I don't know in which position the switch was but it was untouched after the first response from ATC. This is gone now.

So, is this the expected behavior? MIC has to be on the lower position (OFF) for speaking with ATC? Has the switch changed a while ago?

Don't look at "up" or "down" position, but read what the switches actually say. When the Mi-8 was released, the switch on mission startup was always in "laryngophone" position, that's why you had to flip it to "radio" (that's what old manuals and training videos show). A few patches ago Belsimtek changed it, and now the chopper spawns with it already in "radio".

The same situation applies to AM/FM band switch.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

Don't look at "up" or "down" position, but read what the switches actually say. When the Mi-8 was released, the switch on mission startup was always in "laryngophone" position, that's why you had to flip it to "radio" (that's what old manuals and training videos show). A few patches ago Belsimtek changed it, and now the chopper spawns with it already in "radio".

Thats why I got confused in my first missions. I got permission for startup and then in my startup procedure I turned the switch in the upper position and I never got permission to taxi. It's a while since I have flown the Mi-8 and I have only tested it every then and now the last weeks.

Thanks for clearing this up. :thumbup:

Unfortunately its not covered in the manual. :joystick:

I have noticed that it has to be in the upper position for contact with the ground crew if the engines are running. This seems to be new, too.

Its quite strange that ATC didn't worked anyway because I'm 99% sure that I didn't touched any switch after I got airborne and suddenly there I got no response from ATC. That was quite frustrating.

Edited by Nereid