Possible bug with performing nav fix with radar

zerO_crash

I noticed that there is a massive drift of a target waypoint "M" if one tries to put the target point directly on the target. It`s surreal how fast and how much it deviates. Having made a fix for a target waypoint in a mission recently went as such:

- At 18km I made a correction fix using the radar.

- At 7km where I was within range to release BK90, the target point fixed at 18km had moved some 1.5-2km away from where the taget was.

At all time did I maintain some Mach 0.8-0.9. Is it supposed to be like this? I can mention that my terrnav kept my INS fully aligned and updated, had 0 accumulated error...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

WEll I have done a few Radar fixes the one mission we flew it did not seem to be too far off.

What did you have as a set point a Bridge or maybe a point in the river bend.

Could you try the same mission and use the other method for a correction fix and see if it is still off??

it may be you did not set a good reference point?

ASRock Z590 Phantom Gaming 4/AC / Intel i7 10700K @ 5.1Ghz / Noctua DHS-14 Heatsinkw/Fan /  Samsung 970plus m.2 1TB  /  eVGA FTW3 2080Ti /  RipJaws - 64GB RAM @3200  /  SoundBlaster Z  / Reverb G2 VR /  ThrustMaster HOTAS Cougar & MFD's / Buttkicker Gamer 2

How should the reference point matter when TERNAV is updating you pos? Shouldn`t really matter (in Mirage sure, but not here). The problem is that it`s drifting like crazy. I assign a new position to the target WP, but shortly after (looking on the radar screen), the circle is drifting away from the targets. The fix was made on land, somewhere in the forest.

Will check the other method, but currently I cannot use radar fix as it makes waypoints drift off too fast.

Overall, it´s fairly inaccurate if trying to fire BK90`s at that point...

Edited by zerO_crash

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

it matters because you have a better point to fix to like a point on an Isalnd or Bridge.. if it is somewhere in a forest there is no way to know where in the forest that point is well looking on the radar as it is.. if it was a bridge and the tip of it that is a better reference point to point too on the radar.. or like a mouth of a river..

I do know Radar fixes are the least accurate.. so if your point of reference is not a good fixed point you are really going to run into trouble..

I will try a radar fix but the ones we used in the past like a bridge worked rather well.. It might just be user error..

ASRock Z590 Phantom Gaming 4/AC / Intel i7 10700K @ 5.1Ghz / Noctua DHS-14 Heatsinkw/Fan /  Samsung 970plus m.2 1TB  /  eVGA FTW3 2080Ti /  RipJaws - 64GB RAM @3200  /  SoundBlaster Z  / Reverb G2 VR /  ThrustMaster HOTAS Cougar & MFD's / Buttkicker Gamer 2

it matters because you have a better point to fix to like a point on an Isalnd or Bridge.. if it is somewhere in a forest there is no way to know where in the forest that point is..

I do know Radar fixes are the least accurate.. so if your point of reference is not a good fixed point you are really going to run into trouble..

I will try a radar fix but the ones we used in the past like a bridge worked rather well.. It might just be user error..

Now I see what you mean, but that is not the problem in this case as I was doing a combat waypoint "M1" fix on the target. Meaning, they were stationary and I was fixing the M1 on them. As accurate of a reference as doing it on a recognisable ground feature.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Neph,

Just to clarify, when you have a designated target waypoint selected, updating that waypoint with a fix moves the waypoint itself without adjusting your position. This allows you to update your target position (e.g. if you have a moving target) without affecting your nav solution.

Not sure about the drift, Zero, as I haven't really seen it.

Neph,

Just to clarify, when you have a designated target waypoint selected, updating that waypoint with a fix moves the waypoint itself without adjusting your position. This allows you to update your target position (e.g. if you have a moving target) without affecting your nav solution.

Not sure about the drift, Zero, as I haven't really seen it.

Well thx, I will test some more, but I find it simply weird with the drift. At this point I just cannot get any precision with the BK90´s...

EDIT: Seems to be working with newest update. Not sure what it was, but now it`s pretty good.

Edited by zerO_crash

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Well I kinda got the sight reference fix vs the Radar kind mixed up a bit.. I tried a radar fix last night and it was a little off more or less as I did the fix to late but I will try to load that mission again and do it well in advance to see if there is an issue with drift..

When I was talking about setting it too a bridge that was not with a radar fix.. I was confusing the 2 a little..

Will give it a go tonight and see what happens maybe it is a bug or something..

Well I was looking in Chucks Viggen Guide and on page 132 there is a description of TerNAV, or How Your Drift Navigation Correct Themselves..

I found out on the Flight Computer the first Four digits are Long/Latt the 5th digit is the TerNAV Status, and the 6th digit is the estimation of position error in Km..

here is the 5th digit legend:

1. 0=TeRNAV Inoperable

2. 1=Ternav OK but not sending any output.

3. 2=Ternav OK Rough Search attempting to orient itself.

4. 3=Ternav OK Mode Fine search Higher Resolution still attemoting to orient itself

5. 4=Ternav OK and following but not used.

6. 5=Ternav OK and operating system sending Automatic fixes to CK37 Flight Computer..

Now I tried a Radar fix the first time and it appeared the waypoin 3 was right where it needed to be..

I then tried a nav fix and it was still correct.. but this time I looked down and the nac computer and seen the 5th digit mostly stayed in #3 mode and quickly goes to #5 and then I think it auto made corrections..

Can you check the 5th digit and make sure it is not showing a Zero.. If it is on 3 or 5 you should be auto correcting..

Let me ask you while I was thinking did you align the computer when on the runway before takeoff?? PErhaps you where off from the start??

check out this video:

Edited by The_Nephilim