av8b n/a and harrier gr7 differences

Dave317

While the strakes may work with the LIDS to prevent HGI and improve the lift generated while in or near the hover. The strakes or the gun-pods played a large roll improving the lateral stability of the Harrier. Losing one or having them damaged will be interesting. Thanks for the attention to detail here Zeus!

As I said in a previous post I don`t believe the strakes/gunpods play any roll in the aerodynamics of the aircraft.

Firstly if you read the natops for the AV-8b/Tav-8b for there are no mentions of any adverse stability effects that the pilot should be aware of if they are not fitted.

There is a warning note to say if the strakes or gun pods are not installed some suck-down effect is present during a vertical landing and a power increase maybe required. No mention that the aircraft should not be flown without strakes./pod appears anywhere in the document.

In fact in the whole document there is no mention of the strakes/pods having any aerodynamic effect at all. In the section about conventional flight characteristics strakes are not mentioned in relation to either pitch,roll or yaw stability.

In contrast there is a Paragraph(11.4.5.2) about the danger of departures from the Air refuelling probe and high AOA, and the adverse effect the probe can have in combination asymmetrical wing loads.

I have also looked through all the research papers/PHD thesis we hold (Cranfield University) that refer to Harrier/av-8b filght characteristics and haven`t found one that mention the strakes/pods/lids in any context other than HGI and hover performance.

Edited by whiteladder

What's the difference in cockpit interface between them? Am I going to be able to stick a skin on and pretend it's a GR.7/9? :/

I bet it's up to you.

Harrier GR7

1920px-Harrier_Pilot_Prepares_for_Takeoff_MOD_45151641.jpg

Compare with what you have from Razbam.

Not much difference IMHO.

Edited by jojo

Mirage fanatic !

I7-7700K/ MSI RTX3080/ RAM 64 Go/ SSD / TM Hornet stick-Virpil WarBRD + Virpil CM3 Throttle + MFG Crosswind + Reverb G2.

Flickr gallery: https://www.flickr.com/gp/71068385@N02/728Hbi