Question about switches thx

TonyStovepipe

Hello all.

Looking for some advice about how switches work in dcs world a10c before I order some.

I am buying this button board and I have used one before to make a button box http://www.leobodnar.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=205

My question is when I wire up just the on switch to turn on the landing lights but not wire the off button yet.

Would dcs know that the landing have been turn off with the on button not sending a signal and automatically go to the off position.

Trying to see if I can save slots on the button board is all :)

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Hi mate, many of us use the bodnar board. I think from memory and happy to be corrected; DCS needs an input to change a switch position so if you have switch thats wired with only one input it will create a constant input on the leobodnar board which you'd have mapped in DCS to your lights. Turning that physical switch off will no create another pulse to tell DCS the position of the switch has changed even though it's not creating a constant pulse anymore.

In short, depending on the type of switch i.e. on-on, on-off or on-off-on will determine the number of wires and inputs needed on the leo board but you're better off just wiring the secondary inputs and mapping them in DCS.

EVGA GTX1080TISC2 Black Hybrid Cooler, Asus Strix X399, Water cooled ThreadRipper 1920X, Dominator 32GB 3200Mhz,NVME Samsung 250/500GB SSDs, Corsair Air 740 case, Acer Predator 34' Gsync curved display + 3x Alienware 23inch 120hz monitors. TM HOTAS, RAZER - Tiamat,Blackwidow, Mamba, Tartarus and Oculus Rift CV1/DK2 + TrackIR5, MFG crosswinds

Oh and a very understanding wife.

Depends if the DCS module (plane) commands use:

Press L to turn lights ON and press L again to turn OFF

or

Press L to turn ON and press Shift+L to turn OFF.

For the first case using a ON-0FF switch with 2 pins (SPST) you need chance LUA files for add command for OFF state of switch,

or if not possible use a keymapper for send Shift+L in OFF state (SVMapper, HidMacros, Joy2Key, XPadder, Autohotkey).

This option will use only 1 button input in BU0836.

For the second case can use a ON-ON switch with 3 pins (SPDT), and wire each ON in separated button in BU0836.

This option use 2 buttons input in BU0836.

Edited by Sokol1_br

The leobodnar use is as easy as it gets bud so don't be dissuaded. All you need to do is solder the wire to the switch and the literally plug the other end in the board in the position and you're done. Simply go to DCS find the key binding you need and flick the switch. 5 minute job :) Honestly, if I can do it, so can you.

EVGA GTX1080TISC2 Black Hybrid Cooler, Asus Strix X399, Water cooled ThreadRipper 1920X, Dominator 32GB 3200Mhz,NVME Samsung 250/500GB SSDs, Corsair Air 740 case, Acer Predator 34' Gsync curved display + 3x Alienware 23inch 120hz monitors. TM HOTAS, RAZER - Tiamat,Blackwidow, Mamba, Tartarus and Oculus Rift CV1/DK2 + TrackIR5, MFG crosswinds

Thanks Ward8124

I have used the board before to make a button box but was not sure if I could of save some spaces.

But it looks like I will just buy another board when I need more switches :D

Quick question, what sort of switch should I use for say the landing lights on the a10c that have 3 positions?

Am I looking for on-on-on switch? I can't seem to find one lol.

Thanks.

Edited by gothicghost

For the A-10C you should be able to use just ON-OFF-ON for the landing light. That the setup I am using now.

You may have to alter the joystick.lua to get it to work. It's a little tricky but not overly. I did a little assistance here https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=96522&page=11 in post 102 and onwards.

The Leo Bodnar cards are real easy to use and have the advantage that you can get software for them so they can handle rotary incremental encoders. I currently use the BBI-32 for my three radios in the A-10C.

I never tried a ON-ON-ON with a joystick controller (loe Bodnar card or similar) so whether it is doable I don't know. I am pretty sure it doable with DCS-BIOS but that is another story.

Looking forward to seeing more of your project

Cheers

Hans

Depending on where you are in the world but in the UK or Ebay even you can get project boxes for just this soft of thing. Simply google it and you're good to go.